Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do You think this is a good Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Elvis, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I was at the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville this weekend, and there was a raffle for a running and restored 1951 8AB. I talked to the guy for a minute about flatheads and general, then let me play with the throttle:D, Not only was I like a kid in a candy store, I was a kid revving a flathead! Anyway, although I didn't have the $5 for a ticket, he told me he lives a couple towns over and said he's got a 37' Flathead that's been sitting in his garage for around three months. It comes with the original carb, intake, distibutor, and the 3-speed with the toploader gear for $200 loaded. But it was stuck, but as far as he could tell, no cracks. So then I went to tell my buddy who lives in South Carolina and restores J.B. Day's racecars and flatheads. He said it sounded like a good deal if it didn't have cracks. Then he said he has so many flatheads as it is, he would give me one of the best of the bunch. So I don't know if it'll be an early or late one. He said they're all un-stuck, but not sure about cracks, but he told me an easy fix for one that's not all the way through. But from Dawsonville to his place, that's about 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive, but it'll be worth it.

My thinking is when I get some money, to buy the $200 flathead and trans and then get the free one from my friend, keep the trans if it's good, then combine parts off of both engines to make one decent one. What do you think?

-Cody

2. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i'm in the process of rebuilding a flathead I picked up loaded with transmission for $220....When all is said and done I will be in it for about $3500-3800 and it will just be a mild performer. They are expensive to build and are known for block problems. If you are considering rebuilding it you need to bring to a machine shop torn down to be thermal cleaned and fluxed to know what parts of the block are ok and what need to be repaired before throwing any money into the rebuild. The thermal and flux will cost you about $300 so before you can even start a rebuild you are going to be in it for $500 and you may find out you have a bad block that is essentially a paper weight if it cant be repaired.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. woodypecker

woodypecker

Get the free one and play with it. If you enjoy working on it go all in.

4. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

are flatheads able to be "sleeved"?

5. k9racer

k9racer

Cody.. Mr. Day likes you. Be yourself and Mr day will help you out more than you could ever think. Remind him how old you are and you still go to school. The way you present your self every one thinks you are older than you are. I bet he will ship to you. Free is always good.. Bobby..