Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you pull it off sooner than later?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blurr, Mar 25, 2009.

1. The Blurr

The Blurr

I have a question for all the painters. When you are painting a panel design. In my case I am doing panels on my t-bird in metal flake. When should I pull the tape off? Should I do it as soon as I am done or do you wait a skosh? Any help would be awesome.:eek:

2. onequickchevy

onequickchevy

pull it off once the paint is set, otherwise the edge can roll. Also, use 3m Fine Line tape so you don't get edge bleed and when you pull it off, pull it straight, not at an agle so it "cuts" the edge.

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Explain with a little more detail what your doing... Pulling tape after the paint is dry is usually the best way . You can pull it while its wet but you run the risk of dropping it in the paint at some point. If you do it and its too tacky it will leave a funny edge that is sometimes hard to get rid of..
    dave

4. The Blurr

The Blurr

Well, I guess that is my delama. I will be spraying clear coat mixed with metal flake and I am afraid when I pull off the tape it will leave a very jagged edge. Is this the nature of the beast when dealing with panels that are in metal flake?

5. You will probably get a little bit of a ragged edge due to the big chunks of metal flake. I think usually they hide the edge of metal flake under a piece of trim or do some pinstriping at the edge to clean it up.

To me, it seems like it's good to pull the tape up when the paint is sort of set up and not gooey or wet anymore, but don't wait until it's hard as a rock. The tape peels better when the paint is still a little soft.