Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Do you lock your doors at car shows?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Jul 22, 2019.

1. I guess I've been lucky about people just climbing in, you can see everything you want when its topless, but...
    Saw some guy lose his camera when he was taking pictures of his "pin-up" girlfriend laying on a fender and the owner walked up.
    Saw some lady get upset when told to move her metal lunchbox swinging kid the F away from his car.
    I usually invite kids to hop in the coupster so dad can take a picture, then tell them to run if the owner comes along. Wakes up dad, then I tell them its mine.

hotrodharry2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Usually leave them unlocked at a show, flyers most always get put under the wipers unless the window is down.

Try this ... were were traveling recently with 60 or so hot rods at our host hotel we were in the car park close by our cars just talking or unpacking naturally the cars were unlocked and the Asian tourists that abound in the area seem to think our cars are their playground equipment ,they just open the door of any car they like and take a seat while the rest wait their turn to take pictures . A very loud shout from us ,they just have no idea its not ok to do this.
    They dont understand these cars are NOT their playground equipment.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  3. primed34

primed34

I don't lock the doors.

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, of course.

spiffy1937 and Deuces like this.
  5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I wouldn’t worry about pipes and headers cooling off. If people are stupid enough to touch them, they deserve to get burned

Deuces likes this.
  6. If I came back and someone was sitting on my Tour Glide, then I figure they are trying to steal it and then it’s open season.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. ...don't lock my doors , windows usually open,..but ALWAYS take the ignition keys,..was at a local cruz nite and some lady who had some mental issues got into a car and started it up and was about to take off, luckily someone stop'd her .

31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Ah, but don't forget the little ones, they like to grab shiny stuff, did it myself on the neighbor's little trumpet tips on his VW 50 years ago.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Nobody can figure out how to open my doors {Stock Lincoln push buttons}. I leave the windows down unless it looks like rain. Sometimes I'll lay a towel on the seat just in case somebody puts a damp flyer in there, my interior is light gray vinyl, so the ink will show if it bleeds through.

Hombre likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

I would have beat the living shit out of him!!!!....:mad:

11. I saw a young lady standing beside a T-Bucket and her boy friend ask her to back up a little, she burnt her leg pretty bad. HRP

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

First time I went to the NSRA nats that were in Tulsa in the early 70's I parked my 39 deluxe coupe along with other club members cars and went walking, when I came back later I found a lady watching her 3-4 year old son standing on the seat jumping up and down and turning the wheel back and forth. I simply told her if she wanted to continue to use the boy as a tax write off she better get him the hell out of the car before I do something I'll regret. She said I don't know what your getting so excited about it's just an old car! I still don't lock my doors but I do lock the trunk.

13. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Never lock them...except at night. My car has been through so much over it's life there is really nothing that some stupid person could do to it. With 138K on it, caught in the Louisville flood, driven to work every day for two years to pier 12 in Norfolk, VA, sitting outside during any kind of foul weather, eight trips to WI from Norfolk with the wife and kids.....well let's just say, it has been fun and the worries just aren't worth the stress. Going to be at the Nats so come by and take a look.....:<)

14. WTF? Beside the misspelling and awkward verbiage , does this make any sense?

15. jim snow

jim snow

Not usually. There has been times when I have witnessed people opening my door without permission. I let them know that ain’t cool. Snowman

chryslerfan55, Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  16. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Locking the doors still doesn't stop the stupid
    'Locks are for honest people.'

Was at a small town show. Cars are all lined up next to each other on the main street.
    Crowd of guys were at the door of a mild custom '40 Ford or Merc(sorry my pre-war isn't so good). Probably about 5 fat guys, all jostling the door, one had a coat hanger, another had a wood wedge in the door jamb, window was about 1/2" open. It was one of those times when even if it's not your property or business you know it wasn't right. Asked them what they were doing. Lead fat guy flustered, sweating, and nearly pissing himself was screaming 'My keys, My keys!!!' Veins coming out of his forehead, it was almost funny. Almost.

These guys are shaking the shit out of the car yanking on the door handle, in/out, so hard that me just getting close to the passenger window I get smacked in the head by it, and the running board smacks my foot(it was lowered a bit already). Violent. I look in the passenger side and on the seat is a Lexus key fob inside a leather key wallet.

Slightly older fella(owner) with his buds show up and demand to know what they were doing. While they are filibustering about lost property or some shit. I get one of the owners guys to come over to the P side and point to the keys, he opens the passenger door, takes them out, and pockets them with a wink. Couple cops show up and break up the fat group and start taking statements from the owner and lead fatty. Cop asks me what I saw, stated saw fat guys yanking the shit out of the door and the one guy screaming about keys. And that I was a third party witness, stating I didn't know either group. Which was true. Cop said he had my info and I was free to go, so I walked off. On the way back I swung by the car to take another gander at it.
    Holy.
    Shit.
    The door and the quarter panel where both concave under the windows. The door itself was pulled out in a '>' around the door handle. IMO the door was fucked.
    The worst part about it is, I don't think the drivers door was ever locked. The fattys kept pulling the door handle away from the body, if they simply rotated the handle the door would probably have popped open.

A bud had his '79 H/O at a car show, I didn't go.
    Hear from him later that he had left the windows down(hot day) and was never really away from the car. But at cleanup he first notices the knobs on his radio, cigarette lighter, headlight knob, door knob and all the little new car tags and owners manual(which came in a nice red leather wallet) were all gone.

I'm of the opinion, car shows are like track events. If you cannot afford(financially or emotionally) to wad it up and throw it away, or fix it, don't bother taking your car to such events.

17. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

That's kinda what my logic revolves around. I'd rather have someone open my door than have a broken window.

chryslerfan55 and 6sally6 like this.
  18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have had the same issues , kids tugging on the locked door handle , jumping up and down on the running board , ice cream dripped all over inside and out . I went to a bike show years ago , a drunken fellow was explaining to his drunken GF , how you just lay into the starter pedal and it will start . He proceeds to show her on an early Harley that was in gear . He caused about 10 to fall over . It was not a pretty thing to witness . I just don’t get it , it is not yours don’t finger it . Cars , bikes , women , anything in life . I guess it all reverts back to you just can’t fix stupid .

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Oh yeah, I just love the "I know how to start a Harley" wannabes. I have heard some real fucking doozies, some of them as complicated as launching the Space Shuttle. Good thing these new guys have the button!
    Excuse the rant, and no, I don't lock my doors.

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

I doubt I've ever gone to a show with my 56 Chevy 2 door post car where a Bubba didn't try to impress his over weight Bubbette by asking her do you know where you put the gas in? If I'm around the car and see it coming I tell them to keep his dick skinners off my car.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Jimmy51, Thor1, dirty old man and 7 others like this.
  21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Dick Skinners ! I love it , haven t heard that one in years . Must be from Marines talkin to Sailors !

Jimmy51, 03GMCSonoma, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not many problems except when you come back to your car and there is some skanky tatted up sweat hog layin on your fender and some creep shooting pictures.Tell em to get off the damn car!

hotrod mike, Gman0046, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  23. wicarnut

wicarnut

Been doing car shows, cruise for a long time and the level of stupidity, lack of any respect for others property, general rudeness, theft is/has become a real concern IMO. I/We usually travel in a group and someone stays behind to watch over our cars. I still enjoy the shows, travel, the people, but I'm cutting back as I said, been doing this a long time. The small town events are fun with less problems IMO as the big shows generally are in big cities with the problems that come with that venue.

24. adam401

adam401

I haven't had an old car that had working door locks or any windows present except for a windshield in over 20 years. I guess I'm a prime target

Hombre, j3harleys, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  25. No, I don’t lock my doors...but also go to very few car shows. But, I guess I don’t lock them at Walmart or the grocery store or whatever either unless there is something inside of value.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. ...one of my first old trucks was a 46 Chevy flatbed, not a show car for sure but it had rustic charm and it was my baby;...came back to it at a car show and these clowns were sitting on the bed eating and drinking, spilling stuff an crumbs all over;...heck I don't even eat on it,...
    asked them to please leave, they did, I was not happy,...and this was over 40 years ago, so it's not a new thing.

27. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I heard it in the Army in 1967 so it must be passed around.

You've never really lived until you say that to your mother in law.

28. 6sally6

6sally6

Big car shows yep.......smaller cruise-in nope! Windows are down too. My Mustang isn't some high-dollar-rare collector piece so maybe that's why I'm kinda relaxed about it.
    I do love my "old-hot-rod" but I try not to be so anal about it like some guys.
    If you ARE that anal....well sit by it...don't go look at anybody elses car....wait for people to come up and ask questions about it......bring your own water/snacks......maybe a pee bottle!!

RELAX fellows.....just teas'in!

Personally I try to remember its just equipment and there is always some risk in taking it out of the garage.
    6sally6

Hombre, chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  29. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Years ago my Pal Scott and I towed his 65 Nova to the Drags in Tecate Mex. At the mid day break we went to find a bite to eat and returned to the car only to find some locals having a picnic on the hood:mad: I yelled vamanos!! get the fuck off the car!! They looked at me like I was stupid or something....Right then one of the drunk locals pulled the side arm off the 75 ?yr old federale and started waving it around..We all hit the deck...Never went back. But to the point , when I do go to shows my windows are down ,doors unlocked. Because I just love all the fliers that get tossed in my windows:p

30. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Won't be long before they will be in your kitchen, eating your food and if you yell at them, they'll arrest you for hurting their feelings.