Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Do you like Model A's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 26, 2019.

1. hudson48

hudson48

Had two. First hot rod a 29 roadster with Y block and then a 29 Tudor SBC and done pro-street style which was all the rage back in the late 80's.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hey Pete, check the Hamb classifieds. There is a 31 or 30 coupe listed in Texas that sounds and looks like it
    may be similar to what you seek.

3. You ain't right my friend. HRP

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Had a '30 coupe back in the 70s, a '29 Pickup with '30 cab a few years ago
    29 Model A pickup October 2015.jpg ModelArearshot.jpg

5. v8flat44

v8flat44

Yes i do. First ride in a HOT ROD was an A 2door sedan with a built V8 60 in it.......

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. *V8 60 now that is so sad. :eek:o_O:D:D:D

My first ride in a hot rod was in a nail head powered Willys pickup. But like they said in the song, "but I really don't remember"

*the tin side is actually my favorite flat head Ford. They make 'em stouter and bigger but I have always had a soft spot for an under dog ;)

Deuces, winduptoy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first car was a '31 Model A coupe I bought for $95.00 in 1966 when I moved to SoCal from the east coast. The front end was off and the frame sat on an old Star straight axle and it didn't run. I got it running and rolling. Pulled the body and painted the frame and running gear. Put it back together and made it somewhat driveable. Got the motorcycle bug and sold it to a classmate whose dad was a retired Ford mechanic. They did a proper restore on it. The garage is full with the '39 p/u and '54 ranch wagon but I'm still open to another A if the right one comes along.

8. At 0:25 the model A sedan appears to be European and has steel wheels instead of wire wheels. HRP

9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

In High School... around 1966, completely stock
    48BBB12B-6AF1-4F51-9CE2-1C7776F07895.jpeg
    ....currently working on this one
    7A84ABE6-F3D9-45B8-A621-1F2750499A2E.jpeg

10. How could you not love a model A?? My last 2... IMG_0036.jpg Hg.jpg IMG_6296.jpg

11. brady1929

brady1929

I wish I had a model a roadster body. I was stupid and sold mine. Would also love a coupe body too.

Deuces, Dino 64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. TERPU

TERPU

Loved That! Thank you - Tim

Deuces likes this.
  13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

14. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^I want your truck for Christmas!^^^

Hey @HOTRODPRIMER, yer Holiday Avatar’s scarin the shit outa me!

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Of course I likes'em..... ;)
    Merry Christmas y'all!..... BCCHOPIT '09 Cmas Card.jpg

16. I guess they are ok if you are in to that sort of thing.:D WIN_20190406_17_39_35_Pro (2).jpg

17. ...always liked the Model A's,...some even moreso than 32-4's..have owned several but all were projects that got sold...I like drawin em...
    woodart 2019 634.jpg woodart 2019 637.jpg woodart 2019 433.jpg 31 model a truck 9-13-19 sold 006.jpg

v8flat44, Deuces, edcodesign and 5 others like this.
  18. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I was taking upholstery classes at Valley College in San Bernardino, Ca and Ron Cierdano from Street Rodder Magazine was taking the same class and had a 31 CCPU he was working on and a couple of classmates had Model A'sI got hooked. Here's a pic of my first one and my most recent one. I have had a few projects between.[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Great video.

I have always had one or more 1929 Model A’s since 1959. Currently: a cabriolet, closed cab PU, coupe, and a hot rod chassis. Also had a Tudor and a roadster.

I love Model A’s.

Ron Funkhouser and Deuces like this.
  20. guy1unico

guy1unico

Certain ones i like but Henry made so dang many.

Deuces likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

There was something that made my brother and I find that Model A in the neighbor’s yard back in 1957. I knew my brother wanted a fast coupe to be able to keep up with his friend in the Olds powered 1934 5 window Ford Coupe, so I was the helper in rescuing this Model A from the lady’s backyard field. The cost was minimal and she wanted us to take the coupe that day, so she lowered the cost.

Towing the coupe was done with a big fat, dock line, rope purchased at the surplus yard near our Westside of Long Beach house. I steered the Model A and to keep it towing nicely for several blocks, my foot was on the brake to keep the line taut. There were a few big bang episodes and a bump/dip in the road home that led to another bang. But, we did get it home to start the repairs, first.

We cleaned it up and got it running. That was a simple thing. Then we drove to the $.25 power spray booths for a thorough clean out. It was starting to look like fun and a long project. The odd thing was, while my brother and I liked driving the Model A around the neighborhood, it was not a real hot rod, but a starting point.

Within a month, the Model A was missing from the backyard. He told me that a friend bought the Model A and we made money on the sale. Why sell it? He discovered that he could get a new 1958 Chevy 348 Impala right off of the showroom floor and have a super fast car for daily driving to school, drag racing and cruising around. A What?

Jnaki

From that point on, we had the Impala for the duration of events up to the time I sold it in 1964. But, one thing always stuck in our minds, building the Model A. When we went to Riverside Raceway in 1959, we saw what we thought our Model A was going to look like when finished.
    upload_2019-12-19_4-4-1.png December 1959

Ever since that time, I know it was in both of our brains tossing around to finish what we originally started. When we visited each other at our separate homes later on when we were in the 30s-40s age era, our conversations always included that Model A. The topic was what was going to happen if we had continued with that first build. Times have moved on and is running out, so it is and has always been on the back burner.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-1-4-19.1135003/#post-12896269

22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I like them. They are easy to sell.
    Had a roadster and felt cramped in it.
    I’ll buy them but won’t own one

23. Dads Pics 057.JPG
    My first one, a '29 bought in 1968. Got me to work and to college for a couple of years.
    IMG_2459.JPG
    My second one, also a '29, purchased in 1974 and on the threshold of spending lots more to get it finished.

24. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have a 31 coupe that I bought in California while
    out there working in the nuclear industry. Still sitting in my shop untouched and unmolested. Its not that I would have any qualms about taking it from totally
    stock to what ever. The A is 3rd in line behind other "stuff." So recently I responded to some overtures from various local fellows regarding selling the A.
    Very little interest and low ball tentative offers. It
    will just have to sit a while longer. I do like to look at it sitting next to another relic on hand, the 32 -3 window
    also waiting. The recipient of low ball offers as well.
    Merry Christmas everyone.

25. For the most part my grandfather and I have pretty much the exact same taste in the old stuff, with only a few vehicles that we debate on and Model A's are one of them. We both like them but he prefers 28-29's while I like 30-31's. I grew up wanting a 32 but realizing a kid/teen in the mid 2000's was never going to afford even a glass 32 so the 30/31 was the next best thing as it shares a similar look once you stick a 32 shell up front. While my grandfather loves the cowl coach line on the 28/29 as it makes it more unique in his eyes. Though we have talked about picking up a model A coupe, the right project has never presented itself and we seem to always end up in 32-34 pickups.

26. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Don't ask me why but I thought for sure it was going to be a video of a bunch of Model A's being put in the crusher. I'm glad it wasn't.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Dad's '31 has been here for over 50 years, my Roadster and '29 steelback are in the works. Bob

29. Mine is in progress and currently in storage at a friend's garage as we have moved and are now trying to get the new shop built which seems to be taking a lot of effort these days. Originally started by @jailhousebob I bought it back in 2013. Hope to be driving it in the near future
    100_6176.JPG