Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you let anyone drive your rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NiceFloor, Oct 30, 2009.

1. I remember the thrill I got when a guy threw me the keys to his chopped Merc and asked me to criuse it around the fairgrounds so he could see how his car looked.

I remember the first time I drove a '32 Ford.

There's alot more cars I want to drive that I'll never own, too.

Yes, I let as many people drive my car as reasonably possible. It's a driver. Someone might actually enjoy driving it as much as I do... and I take it for granted sometimes.

Exchange cars for one leg on a road trip. See how YOURS looks driving down the road.

Bil

2. S.F.

S.F.

no one ever for any reason at all ever.

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Just me and the guy who I sell it to.

4. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Anyone who can fix it can drive it... I think that's fair.

5. russ1403

russ1403

well my current "project" dosent count yet,,but when i had my other cars i only let my mom ( RIP ),,and my step pop and my brake allinement guy drive my ride,,all of who i trusted fully with my car,,,other than that nobody!!! and if a girl puts her feet on my dash board she gets kicked to the curb and is told to kick rocks!!

6. the HEMI KID

the HEMI KID
    from kentucky

3 yrs of saving up, then 2 yrs of selling your rarest parts collected in the 80's when $'s were cheep compared, that you neeeeeeeeever thought you would sale. This car is "eating" my other cars!!! Then 2 yrs so far of a financial nightmare. Thats 7 yrs,....no ....IIIIIII better not!

7. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

IMO- letting someone else drive your car or you driving your buddies car carries certain responsibilities with it.
    I don't feel comfortable driving other people's cars. It's their baby & what if something happens? What if some uninsured motorist T bones it while I'm driving? What if something breaks while I'm driving?
    I'd feel responsible. I'd also step up & take care of whatever needed to be done. What about your buddy? Is his license in order? Does he drink or use drugs? How are his driving skills? Is he a defensive driver or a hot dog?

No, no one drives my car but me. If it breaks or I wreck it, it's only on me.

8. Sure, its a car.

9. Only one other person has ever driven my 40 Ford coupe - the wife does not want to but she has said that she would like to drive the 32 in my avatar.

I am building a 40 Ford p-up she can hit the key and go anytime/anywhere she wants, though ....

10. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Nobody has asked to drive my latest yet.....guess it depends on who it is...

11. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I would let my friends, and some family drive my cars. I would at least like to ride somewhere with them in something...just to get a feel for how they drive. The rest would kind of depend on how I felt about it. I am a big fan of driving other hot rods. As someone else said, it lights a HUGE fire under my ass to get on my stuff.

12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I dont even lend tools. I'll make you a sandwich and pour you a beer.
    Ask and hear the laughter.

13. I have let my wife,kids and friends drive the roadster,,which I don't have anymore,,they have also driven my 32 pickup.

I am the only one that's driven the 32 sedan,,wife has tried but the clutch is meaner than she is!:D HRP

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I actually do not have a problem letting others drive my car. My brother takes my roadster for drives when ever he can. As long as they know how to drive I am pretty laid back with it.

15. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I would let my wife but after that NO.

16. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

i would let my son and two brothers drive it,that's all for me

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I let my sister and brother-in-law drive my old 38. They needed another car so I lent it to them for a couple of months years ago. Must have been funny to see my sister dropping off the kids at school!
    One other, on a overnight drive from Melbourne to Sydney then down to Nowra I took one of my sisters friends up to visit. I let her drive on the open highway while I caught some Zs. I woke up to the motor rumbling along pretty fast, I forgot to tell her the speedo was in MPH not KPH! We were doing 120! She told me that she thought it was strange that all the other cars were going so slow!
    Doc.

18. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

yep, my wife.... or did you mean car when you said rod?

19. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

apparently no one that i know with a license wants to be caught dead in the PURPLE CAR so no one ever asks...WTF:mad:

[​IMG]

20. I let very few people drive my 55 and we always go by the rule "you break it, you fix it".

21. MXmaniac

MXmaniac
    from Denton, TX

I tried to teach my girlfriend how to drive three-on-the-tree in an empty parking lot. Does that count?

I may have created a monster, she won't stop talking about the Pistons and Paint show this weekend!

Attached Files:

22. Hoffy The Welder-Man

Hoffy The Welder-Man

Depends wether they are real drivers or not and they can handle the horses

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I let guys drive my 32' under one condition.. I work the throttle.

I step over, slam it to the floor and yell "STEER!" :D

A few Cincinnati and Detroit guys can attest to this..

The way I look at it, "They can't tear it up any worse than I have"

J Shaw

24. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I let the wife drive mine just about everynight....and the cars too .

25. Hellfish

Hellfish

My wife can drive my 59 whenever she wants. I only let one other person drive it. I told him at least twice (even called him on the road) and reminded him to put gas in it. My wife told him, too. He ran it dry. Since the tank wasn't vented, the tank collapsed and now I have a 10 gallon tank instead of a 16 gal. He offered to fix or replace it, but I'm still pretty annoyed. Never again.

26. DECKARD sr.

DECKARD sr.

i let a 16 year old kid drive mine the other day. he drives a standard ford ranger, and was asking me how hard it is to drive a 3 on the tree. i threw him the keys, and said let's go. you should have seen the kool-aid smile on that boys face! his dad is pissed off at me cause now all the boy talks about is getting an old car. now that's what it's all about....

27. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

The last two times I let someone drive my fun (but OT) Jeep it ended up on its side. Im looking for the 3rd person...

[​IMG]

28. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

I love doing that to people in my old flatfender.Let them get comfy then spot them right onthe side that look when they are goin over is great.

29. csclassics

csclassics

I let this girl I knew drive my work van one day....hit a pole by a gas pump.
    ever since then.....there's only one person I let drive my car.....the guy who sold it to me.

30. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes ...

My wife ...
    Hotrodprimer's wife
    A very good buddy with a 32 that has not run in 15 years
    My brother
    At I lent the 32 roadster to a friend ... so he could drive it to the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville Ky ( 550 miles one way ).

No one but the wife has driven the 32 3W ...
    but ... when I get to where it is bulletproof in my mind ...

YES ... others will drive it also :D