Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you let anyone drive your rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NiceFloor, Oct 30, 2009.

1. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

My wife got in my truck for the first time today.....she was waiting for everything to be working properly.....that happened for about 15 seconds this afternoon so I grabbed her quick and ripped down the street.

Not too worried about her wanting to drive it......though that would be cool.

2. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Sure, freinds, all of my buddies have flipping sense, I don't hang out with numb nuts!a matter of fact, having 10 rods, I ask some people to drive the for me makes them feel good, and makes me happy to see someone enjoying the fruit of my labor.

3. Ebert

Ebert

I guess I am pretty "giving" on this subject...I let my two oldest sons (other two don't drive yet), my wife and close buddies drive 'em (how cool is it that my son asked me to drive my '55 to the prom when we have some other cool stuff that would probably impress some 17 year old gal???). I think my wife knows how hard I rub on 'em which is why she doesn't bug me too much about driving them. My 40 is stick, so that keeps most knucklehead "non hot rod types" away from it. Plus, I think most of our friends do not feel comfortable asking me given their lack of knowledge of "all things hot rod." Plus, I guess I am a fairly "large" guy so that might make most a bit uneasy....

Finally, I have GREAT insurance (American Modern DOES grant you a waiver for 25 years and younger if you ask them!!!!) and like so many have stated, it IS just metal and why not spread the word and appreciation of our old cars????
    Best,
    E

4. bonesy

bonesy

When we went to the LA Roadster show a few years ago I let my 16 year old son drive my '32. I know insurance didn't cover it, but heck, 16 in a roadster in so cal - how could we pass it up.

5. No one has driven the 37 but me since I got it in 59. Might even get buried in it.

6. My ex-wife drove my '38 once. She & that car hated each other though & it died on her in the middle of the road. Long story short - I don't have either anymore.

When the '32 is done, anyone that wants to drive it is welcome to. It's just a damn car.

JH

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You can drive my car anytime. It is what is was made for. Now after paint...:eek:

8. TheNovaMan

TheNovaMan
    from Michigan

I don't think anyone has ever asked to drive my Nova, but I let my mom drive it once. She understands how much it means to me and that it's NOT just a piece of metal.

9. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

11. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

everyone keeps saying their father, my dad has broke more of my shit, and he always gives me the "if he didn't do it I would have" bit, but I'll NEVER tell him no. It's worth it to me, as farvas anyone else goes I think they're more scared to drive them than I am to let them.

12. 61TBird

61TBird

Only my Wife....:D

13. Anderson

Anderson

I let a girlfriend drive my Olds once. She didn't hurt the car, but she did roll into somebody at a stoplight with it....she didn't drive the car again.

Only one other person has driven the hot rod.

14. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

my father helped build this car with me and he is the only other one to drive it,
    and loves it......
    [​IMG]

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i used to..but not anymore in this day and age..
    insurance companies are just lookin for an excuse to screw you (more than they already are) and that would probably be the death of my policy if they fucked up and hurt someone , themselfs or wrecked the car.
    its sad but this aint the "good ol days" anymore
    I dont need the drama or the head aches

16. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I'm on my way...:D

17. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

I can't even get insurance under my name with my Plymouth cause this stupid rule, I have to wait to turn 18 until I get insured :mad: I don't mind in the winter months cause I'm working on it anyways, but we're going to have to figure something out once spring comes around

18. Terry

Terry

Flat top Bob drove mine a few times.... But other than no. It kinda feels like somebody else kissing your wife.

19. 29SX276

29SX276

Only the wife has driven the Essex,but she's not comfortable doing it .As luck would have it, I got lucky and was able to buy back my 'ol '46 Chev Aero-sedan.It's her car now and she's pretty stoked about it!:D.

20. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

I'll let just about anybody I know(and trust) , drive my car, thats what its there for. A few buddys have drove it,and my dad, but the wife is to scared. I always wonder how many people have drove my car.

21. heavytlc

heavytlc

Anyone that I call a friend, or the only sober person i can find. If I am shotgun in one of mine, I have a drink in hand. I may not drink and drive, but I damn sure drink and ride...

22. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I have a good friend who's not much of a wrench, but likes old cars. I drive his all the time for driveability issues. He likes driving, but doesn't do well with quirks of old cars. I've got one ironed out pretty well and the second one breaks again as soon as I fix something.

I offered him the opportunity to drive mine a while back, he turned it down. I then proceeded to get all kinds of sideways in it. I don't do that in his cars, and his are cruisers, not hot rods.

Devin

23. autobilly

autobilly

Wow Hank, 50 years, that's gotta be some kind of record! Not even a Valet or Mechanic?

24. I have no problem letting my good buddies drive any of my cars. Here is a good freind of mine driving my roadster going to the Lone Star Nats this year in Ft Worth. He took the 34 last year. But he returns the favor when I visit him and he lends me his black 60's survivor roadster when I am in the PNW.

Attached Files:

25. I Drag

I Drag

If someone wants to get it running, hey, they can drive it.

26. woodman

woodman

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CWoody%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> Anyone who helped with the build and against my better judgment, my 3 boys.

27. Noone drives my '55 but me.

28. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I'm the only one that drives my car. I get a bit cheaper insurance because I have been accident free for over 10 yrs, and nobody that has not had a license for over 10 yrs can drive it. Stops my 19 yr old daughter from wanting to drive my Acadian...not that she would want to...

29. Pretty much the way my Dad thinks too :)

One time I was offered the keys to the most insane one-off roadster any of us have ever seen, but I think that was only because the builder knew the door would never close with me in the drivers seat, and that my legs wouldn't fit between the seat and the wheel. Far as I know, only his daughter has ever driven it!

30. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

My wife and all 3 of my daughters and their husbands. And most of my buddies. Hey, I have an extra so if their car is down and we want to go to a show, then I let them take it. Why not?
    Just follow the rules, no eating, no smoking and no BJ's LOLOL:D:D