Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you let anyone drive your rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NiceFloor, Oct 30, 2009.

1. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Who do you let get in the drivers seat? Just about anyone? Nobody? Friends? Wifes? Other rodders?

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Anyone can drive any of my vehicles anytime...that's what insurance is for...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

no one, my wife can't drive a stick anyway. I would let my dad if he wanted to.

4. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

I certainly wouldnt let anyone with the last name BAYE go anywhere near my car!!!!!!! warned!

5. johnnyjalopy

johnnyjalopy

can i ...kiding

i let my girlfriend all the time.......nothing sexier!

6. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I let my youngest son take it when he wants. This is a pic of him and his girl going to a wedding in it.

Rex

Attached Files:

7. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

me auto es du auto...si????

8. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

You got right to the bottom of my post - one of these days he's gonna ask

9. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

let my daughter & boyfriend take my old blister to her high school prom. I let anyone drive it.. Its only a car
    Pontiac Slim

10. I tried to let my buddy take it down the track last Sunday... He said, no, he would feel terrible if he broke it... I think I might feel the same way if it was his.

11. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Your Son...Yeah.... guess thats a birth-right.

12. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Right on.....

13. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

ask..he wont ask..your just gonna hear it start up, and then see it rolling out of the garage

14. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

You got that right. that little bastard.....I'll have to change the code on my door.

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Only if they are 26 years old or older as Grundy insurance does not insure anyone driving your car under this age. Hagerty might be the same, I haven't read one of their policies in while and I can't remember their year.

16. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Don't have a rod, but I've taught a few of my friends how to drive a 3-speed in my chevy. I figure why not, there pretty bullet proof. Drop the clutch, it starts a creepin'. I'd probably let anyone drive any car I could hope to ever own though. Not borrow it, but drive it. This means I'm in the car...
    My dad on the other hand can take whatever I have wherever he wants. After all, none of this would have been possible without him.
    And anyone that I know that I perceive to be "old". I won't say what number I think that is:)

17. BBobb

BBobb

My wife drives the Model A while i drve the 39 truck to the car events.Seeing that mile wide shit eating grin on her face when she rolls into the show makes it all worth it....SOME TIME IT CAN GO TO HER HEAD...LOL

18. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I'll let a few of my friends drive mine...these are the same friends I would leave unattended in my house!!! My wife hates driving it anyway, can only get her to once in a while. the whole no working speedo and cherrybombs scare her I think

19. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

The boyfriend was shocked when I told him he could use the coupe. I looked him right in the eyes and said "I'm let'n you take my daughter ain't I, thats just a car"
    Pontiac Slim
    PS they got home about 2 AM, daughter said he never went over 35, waz too busy waving to everyone ... LOL

20. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I let a very select few drive my car. They have to have put in time on the car, been an influence on the car, or contributed to the car for them to drive it. My dad can drive the '40 whenever he wants, but he'll have to be with me if he drives my A coupe... I dunno. I'm very protective of my stuff.

21. squirrel

squirrel

I let my wife do whatever she wants with my rod.

22. the wife can drive , ride or beat the snot out of anything i own other than that! whoever is sober!

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yes, there are people that I trust with.... Son. Daughter. One Grandson, I do. Another I never will. The other, it's a possibility, someday.

24. ARE YOU NUTS?

I would be a nervous wreck if I let it get out of my sight under the control of someone who hasn't built and driven their own first.

Only a very few who know what it is like to build and drive their own have ever been allowed to touch any of mine.
    I want them to learn good judgement with their own machines first, not learning the hard way with mine.

25. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Who I would let drive them? My wife, a few trusted friends, my dad. Oldest son, no way. Next boy is only 10 now and he's got a shot if he keeps on the straight and narrow. My girls are 8 & 3, time will tell.

Devin

26. az67goat

az67goat
    from Mesa, AZ

I'd let my wife drive anything. Probably 2 other friends.
    I had a motorcycle totaled and not paid for by friend of a friend years ago, live and learn...

27. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Exactly. If my kids/wife/friends hurt it, we can fix it. Besides, most people take better care of friends stuff than their own.

28. Since I've abused my old roadster for almost 50K, I'll let my friends drive it. And my wife can drive it anytime. Here's a pic of my friends Randy and Pam driving it from Hill City in the Black Hills back to their home on the east side of South Dakota after his roadster had a problem in the differential. I had my pickup and car trailer there so I hauled his car back home to him a few days later. They turned over the 50,000th mile on the roadster on their way back home. Randy has saved me in past when I busted my oil pan on a speed bump in Santa Rosa, California. I took it off in the Flamingo Motel parking lot and he tig welded that oil soaked cast aluminum pan back together at Vern Tardel's shop at midnight! We have covered a lot of miles together over the last eight years and its all been fun!
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run in the Black Hills 2009</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

When the car is up to snuff, no problem. If it is displaying idiosyncracies, not so much.

30. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Used to be no one ever. Now it depends - if the car is dependable, and I know the person well, i.e. dependable - no worries. It's just iron. I tell 'em if they break it, they gotta fix it - that separates the men from the boys! :)