Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you keep track of how much money you spend on your Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FatfenderJ, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

No..that way i cant be held responsible

2. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I keep tract of everything I spend, I just don't total the alcoholic expences.

3. 8flat

8flat

I started a spreadsheet tracking costs for my F1 build.

It got big.

I deleted it.

The end.

4. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Hell no, not going to leave any evidence lying around that could be used against me :D

5. I can't help it.I've kept all reciepts and hours worked on all my builds.

guess Im glutten for punishment.My buddies ask why I do it.don't know.

its like going to vegas.If you go with the mentality of winning big,you're in for a big disappointment.just use your money to have fun.except with the car there is something tangible as a result of your expenditure.:)

6. I did for the first few years on my TrackT project...and I'm glad I did ( in a way!!)...seems the DMV requires a bonded title & a bond 1 1/2 times the value of the car ...but I really dread adding them up...for the last few years ,I have had everything billed out as "Shrubbery...Yard Tools..Grass Seed...Fertilizer..etc" just in case the wifey looks in the checkbook...

Stan

7. I have done it in the past and kept really accurate records only to be flabbergasted in the end, told my bride this will be my "last project" when I started the FED but I saved some receipts not all mind you but I made a mistake and put some in the file..........she opened the file...........big mistake no more files...................................

8. Jared Carnahan

Jared Carnahan

...agreed i did it once, once and never again.

9. Skidmore

Skidmore
    from San Marcos

No! No! No! No! No!

10. ganga

ganga

I did it once and the old adage that a build cost's twice the resale held true. I will never add again!!

11. If I really kept an accurate record of money spent I would probably just want to put an ad on ebay and cut my losses. With the current economy there are so many good deals on finished cars it doesn't make sence to pour a fortune into a basketcase anymore unless it's a car that you have some kind of emotional connection with. In my situation I've been gathering parts for so long that it's kinda late to just stop. I once sat down and tried to make a list (with prices) of what I figured I'd need to finish the car and it was a big mistake. The quickest way to take the fun out of this hobby is to start counting nickels and dimes. As long as I'm paying for the build with "walkin' around money" and the family ain't suffering I just try to keep my eye on the end game and keep it fun.

12. yardgoat

yardgoat

I started to on my 59 panel,then decided who cares.If i sell it someone wants a deal,It doesnt matter if i spent hundreds of thousands on it.I still look at it as my $200.00 panel and have forgoten what it realy cost,its not hard to forget if ya want to ...lol............................YG

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do. Habit from bein in the biz. Not trying to make $$$$ on my personal stuff, but for profit jobs I need to. I ran the tally on my snowmobile since the day I got it. Talk about depression...

14. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I track every single nut bolt and washer. I have all of the receipts, all of the instructions, everything. I know exactly how much my truck cost me. I also have it lettered and I use it as a business promotional vehicle, I am amortizing it over 7 years, It brings me customers, it's advertising. The first dozen cars I ever owned went out of pocket, I then had an Epiphiny, why the F am I paying for my rods out of my pocket. Now the Corporation owns them, the corp buys all the tools required for their upkeep, they are advertising. I take it to trade shows, small parades, chamber of commerce events, and not for profit events. If it's nice we may run in the Toys For Tots this year, hand out candy canes to the kids.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sort of. On my first build I kept them all, but never added them up. On the 27 I will. More importantly, keep every manual, set of instructions and replacement part number. It's easier to make a list as you go... ha ha.. but it's real nice to know the number of some obscure seal or gizmo if you have to get another one two years from now. Or the name of what mfg that made those custom parts.

When I sold my last car, the new owner was amazed that I gave him the build book with all manuals and an extra set of pix. Some folks actually charge extra for that stuff, I hear. Like a used race car, sometimes the parts sheets and set up data is extra. Gary

16. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I'm suffering from depression already. No sense in compounding it. :eek: (just kidding) I keep the receipts for part number id and I also have a build book for the same purpose. All parts and setup figures are in the build book.

17. NWRacing

NWRacing

Do you keep track of how much money you spend on your Hot Rod?
    Well yes I keep track, to date I can say with out a doubt I have spent it all!

18. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Yup, I keep track of them. Mostly for part numbers and returns. They're nice to have come time to sell or trade for another ride. Buyers like to see receipts of things put into the ride. Helps the sale go smoother and less BS.:D

19. 48bill

48bill

I started when I did my F-1 over. That was also the first dial 1-800-hot rod for parts instead of relying on the junk yard or swap meet stuff. It was too expensive and many of the 1-800 stuff was not the quality of OEM junk yard stuff.

For the roadster I have kept track of the receipts for all parts. I don't count tools bought. I am doing it to see how little I can put into the vehicle. I am relying on trades, barter, swap meets, ebay, and freebie cast offs from friends. It's been a long term project but it is moving along.

20. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

Hell no, that's bad juju! That and I'm just too compulsive to keep track of any money.

21. Steel 35

Steel 35

When I go, I only hope She dosen't sell it for what she thinks I have in it. Over budget on paint alone thats the only thing I have kept track of. Just one more budget to go.

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Do you add in the price of welding wire, grinding discs, gas, that special wrench/tool you needed, etc.? I tried once but these days, I don't even try.

YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE TAG ON A GOOD TIME! (What else are you gonna do to stay busy and stay out of trouble? :) )

23. I have 4 of them now. I'm down from 6.
    I keep very detailed records, receipts and so forth on every one of them.
    I've never totaled up all the receipts or tried to figure what my own labor is worth.
    I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW!!!
    I'll leave it up to my next of kin or the next owner(s) to figure out.
    I only do it for the love of vintage and hot rod automobiles.

24. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Every cent, you don't want to know.

25. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Keep track of the money only as a sort of keeping score...never had too much respect for throwing money at a Hot Rod, they are supposedly built with some owner involvement, which seems to go away in proportion to money spent.:)

27. cooger

cooger

Did a WIFE originate this thread???
    So the kids are barefoot in the winter-what's that got to do with a $700. Walker radiator?
    cooger

28. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

29. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

I would probably throw up if I saw how much money I spent on each car!!!

30. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I keep track of what I spend on my project, So I know what I need for the next project.
    Also it has shown me where I can save money for the next build. Example how much do a lot of small trips to Fastenal add up on a project? How much does it cost to buy the full box of most of the common size fasteners. Rolac wheels the same.