Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you keep track of how much money you spend on your Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FatfenderJ, Nov 14, 2010.

1. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

I was trying to explain to my wife that I don't keep very good records of what I spend on projects because there are some things I'd rather not know. A big one being I don't want to know how much money I lost when I sell it. Anyway I'm working on a 65 Coronet and have kept good records so far and I'm not liking it. What do you guys do?

2. there's no good reason to do that, and it may lead to drinking........

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I can't do it myself but I have friends that keep every reciept that comes they're way when building a car. Not that I try to hide it from the wife I'm just sure she'd like to spend that money on more shoes.

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

that's reason enough.

5. I did on my first build years ago but never again. I do, however, keep the flaps off the parts boxes with the parts numbers on them.

6. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

haha aint that the truth. :p
    i tried keeping a receipt folder, but after a while it just became a book of horrors.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

keeping track causes problems, just put your reciepts in a safe place for parts refrences and never ever add them up...EVER!

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep track of all costs for every car I build---gets scary sometimes and I am always overbudget,both in dollars and hours expended -but still like to know how much it costs-

9. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I keep reciepts, but for dates and part numbers. i've never added them up. I know better.

Devin

10. I round it off to the nearest thousand.

11. Honestly I once added it up and since I have drank heavily.
    But I can say this cause it just happened to me :
    If your car gets stolen and your insurance company asks for recipts you got them.
    Make sure you have an agreed amount on your car not an assest value also.

12. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

13. No way
    I would rather not know
    I just keep going until I finish it

14. kenbob26

kenbob26

i agree with all of the above. I too kept all the records of the first complete build back in 1984. Never again. you find your self short cutting the project!!!

15. I do unfortunately! haha

16. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

No junkyards and craigslist folks dont give recipts. I dont buy to much new and if possible I just make things myself, most I spend at a store is maintenance type stuff.

17. If i kept records, i would probably be depressed

18. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Yes. If I ever sell the car, I'd like to know what I have in it.

19. I do not keep track of expenses but I have been keeping track of my flathead build costs, just so I can be one of those guys whom say it costs 2X as much to build a good flathead. $2603 to date and it is still needs at least that or even maybe double to go. Currently sitting at the machine shop with a rough bore and ready to have the valve seats cut and new installed.

Attached Files:

20. big bad john

big bad john

.......only parts numbers.......and if you do keep track of how much money you spend.." Never....Never...Never....tell your wife!!!!!!!!!!"

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I used to ... BUT on the last few ... NO.

It really does not matter because I rarely sell or get rid of my cars.
    I did sell a 40 Ford ... but no 32's. I do not figure on selling my old Mercury M-47 pickup either ... but it's build cost is adding up a lot higher and faster than I had figured. :(

22. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Nope never have and never will I realy dont want to know how much I have spent but boy would my wife!!!!

23. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

I measure my cars by the shit eatin' grin they put on my face when Im driving them.

But I know roughly what they cost & its usually at least twice what I thought it would take in time and money.

Then I discovered drag racing was good for hot rods and good for hot rodders, but tough on parts and tough on the wallet.

Every cent spent after the first ride is racer development cost, so I dont count that either, so costing twice budget is probably on the light side by a lot

24. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

I dont keep track, so I dont feel disapointed some days in the garage.

25. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

ha right. that sounds smart.

26. Keeping track so you have a resell price is never going to work.
    The buyer has no interest in what you spent.
    I don't track mine as I have no interest in it's cost.
    It won't be for sale in my lifetime.
    Insurance value is negotiated.

27. no way! i have a hard enough time keeping track of all the bolts an stuff.

forget the recipts its more fun that way. plus if the missus ever asks you can plead ignorance;)

28. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hell no.
    Never have, it would be depressing...IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!!

29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I am keeping track of what I spend on the restoration of my 51 AD Chevy. So far I have 7 thou into it including the purchase price. I will spend other 3 thou to finish it. I am doing all the work myself except for chrome and upolstery.

30. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I probably have stupidly low #s into my cars, because of deals conection and elbow grease, but i dont want to know, it's not a good habit, try adding up your hrs. it's been said 2000 on an decent car, times even minimum wage is depressing when added on the top