Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do you have security on your garage/shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know a lot of you have a kill switch or a alarm on your car but do you have security on your garage?

A while back my pal Dave had his personal door kicked in early in the AM and fortunately he had a alarm but by time he got out of bed all he found was muddy foot prints entering and exiting the shop.

After that I have security measures in my shop and don't leave the keys in any of the cars thinking they are secure anymore. HRP

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Not sure it is a good idea to give anyone's security features away on the net, HRP

reagen, Mr48chev, Deuces and 16 others like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^Or if you do make sure you post your address

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Outswing doors are a lot more resistant to being kicked in. A good deadbolt helps, especially on a steel door. Not having windows where they can see in/climb in helps a lot, and avoid window a/c units at all cost. Alarms help after the fact, but usually don't go off until entry made. Big dogs are one of the best ways to deter thieves but if a pro wants in bad enough they will get in.

5. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I travel a fair bit and always worried about break ins. I bought a Blink system from Amazon. It’s a infrared system that requires WiFi that when it detects motion starts recording video and sound. When it detects motion it sends a message to your cell phone, iPad, etc. It doesn’t alert police station. But when you get message you can review video or turn on real time video to see what’s going on then call police or handle it whatever way. No monthly charges, batteries last two years. Two camera system approximately $200.

6. I am not ask what they have only thinking that we all should have some sort of security, try getting in my shop without a key and see what happens.

I would think the majority of people breaking in are meth heads looking for something they can sell quick, that was the case when the police caught up with the three guys that broke into Daves shop. HRP

Deuces, LOU WELLS and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  7. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I have 8 big 60-100 lb dogs that are on alert at all times. None of them would hurt anyone or anything. I also have 2 small motion sensor cameras in the garage. I think they were about $25 a piece. Sometimes it will go off and there will be nothing there. But for the most part it does its job. I’ve never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Screamer alarm, Video cams, 12 Gauge, .45 Long Wad-cutters:D

gas & guns, tofords, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh yeah, I have a big dog and a shotgun too!

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

You have to assume that everyone is dishonest until they prove you wrong. It sucks, but that's the way I see it.
    I have a 5 ft chain link fence, security alarm with an outdoor siren, Soon to be installed cameras, a sign that reads "Patrolled by German Shepherds" a 9MM and outward swinging doors. Since I am on a main road, I always have random folks that want to stop by the shop and chat, the dogs and the fence keep them about 100' away. I'll walk out and talk to them at the fence. Keeps them from nosing around.

11. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I'll second the Blink cameras and that I never leave keys in the car. The first and best way to prevent problems is don't keep your shop in a rough or questionable area. I've found that nothing will stop the crack head or routine thief. These guys know that nothing will happen to them. B&E = big deal, and that's a charge that only sticks if you have proof and time to pursue. the 9mm or shotgun approach is also risky. Even though the scum bags broke into YOUR shop and suffered lead poisoning, their family members will sue you saying something like "all he wanted was something to sell for food money" or the "theft doesn't justify the loss of life". Our legal system rewards and encourages those with nothing to lose.

12. topher5150

topher5150

I have a boxer/pitt, and a .30-06 with a clear shot to the car and the shed, but of course being the nice guy that i am I'll give them a warning shot

13. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

yes. Attached to a alarm siren that will wake the dead:rolleyes:

14. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I`ve met that dog....She`d lick the perps into submission.

Deuces, kbgreen, 2FordGuy and 3 others like this.
  15. GTS225

GTS225

*******************************************************************************
    Yes, I do, starting with a couple game cameras outside, with something a little more sophisticated inside.

I suggest, (from a legal standpoint), that a .22 round in the ass may be just the ticket. It's a non-life threatening wound, and the perp WILL go to the hospital, where all gunshots are required to be reported. A living criminal, that just may spread the word to stay away from THAT place, might be more valuable than anything.
    (Just make sure you clean your gun immediately, and wash your hands well.)

Just an observation.

Roger

Bugguts, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. topher5150

topher5150

This is true, but if someone comes to the house he'll put on his big boy bark

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Teatanus mostly but real nightowl cameras also..

19. I have two actually three if you count the dog. My entire house and garage is protected by a wireless security system that is monitored 24/7. Then there is this, Come and get it! You think you guys in the South are the only ones?
    upload_2019-6-7_15-54-34.jpeg
    [​IMG]

20. The sign in my avatar. A gaggle of noisy geese. a 6 ft fence. I had a mean jersey bull. however He was too dangerious and we where afraid the grandkids would get hurt by him so he is now hamburger. Iv had a mean billy goat in the past. his butting was pretty bad. however the smell he got on you when he attacked was unbearable. If you have a mean dog and he hurts anyone including a no good trespassing thief you could easily wind up in a very expensive lawsuit. Just today I notice someone has stolen a turbo 400 chevy trans. Hard telling how long its been gone.

21. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I will not comment on the system or systems but if you think a '57 Ford is what you want, or maybe some blowers and drives, or maybe some nice memorabilia in the house is what you want, you will not leave on your own two feet.
    Have a great day

22. Yes a fence is a real good benefit. I keep my gate locked. and plenty of people never get inside the gate. sadly Locks and even chain link fence will not deter a determined thief. bolt cutters are cheep.

Deuces, HOTRODPRIMER and Roothawg like this.
  23. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Shop is in my backyard, motion sensor lights and cameras along with the Texas home owners standard issue of pistol, shotgun and a r\15

24. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I had a friend go away on vacation and returned home to find an opening cut in a back wall (with a cordless saw we assume)...out of sight of other neighbors...doors and locks, even outside cameras don't always stop thieves...

25. hemiboy

hemiboy

Security system w Iphone accessible feeds, Steel Jambs and doors (hard to kick in)
    Tall sight blocking fence and locked gates.

26. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Yes, for the last 20 years. I'm already planning the alarm(s) on the two new garages that aren't even built yet.

27. I carry a Ruger black hawk 44 mag with a 10 inch BBL. And If I ever am forced to draw it out. I will not fire a warning. I will be cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger trying for head shots. Now having stated that. I would only pull my firearm if the lives of me and mine where in danger. and only as a last resort. No other way out. If I am someplace and others not me and mine are being attacked. They will go right on being a victim. Im not the police. Its not my fault they choose to not exercise their 2nd admendment right. I certainly will never shoot a trespasser or thief. Its simply stuff. I assure you if you ever shoot someone that will become the worst moment of your life. It will be one of those marks in time. like the day you got married. I believe in KARMA. the thieves will have to live with it and I certainly can live without it. The same goes for a mean dog if your dog harms someone you most likely will regret it.

28. 2935ford

2935ford

Not gunna tell ya! :)

Deuces, HOTRODPRIMER and Rich S. like this.
  29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

that Blink system, or basic one like a Motorola Wi-Fi HD Home Video Camera will really help - you will know exactly when something is happening, and have proof of what happened. each to their own on how to protect your property - now passed on, Family friends had a Mom & Pops grocery store. House at back of store. Husband startled late at night , grabbed his hand gun, went into store and saw a figure in the dark and fired - shot his Wife in the back - crippled for life.

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CPI security. There are signs and stickers advising that the building is protected by CPI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.