Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do You Have A List Of The Hoffman Companies ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomsrule, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

American Shifter IS part of The Hoffman Group.

2. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

There have been numerous lawsuits over these so called columns,I have taken one out of a friends car due to what we have researched took it apart total JUNK !!,and replaced it with an OEM column.
    Guys & gals for safety sake & saving a life if you think you have one of these in your car, all I can say is remove it & replace it,and please don't resell it.

3. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

I spent the weekend altering the autoloc 3rd brake light to work. Luckily removing some bad diodes inside it now works for my application. I wondered how it passed their QA dept, but after reading this I guess I know why.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What QA department?

5. Armstrong

Armstrong

I bought a power window kit from them. Total crap!

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

You're Lucky, trust me. The door lock stuff worked for a 'while' for me, about 2 months. Fortunately, I used all my own hardware except for the transmitter/receiver.

7. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Not to get on the train, but I bought a stainless radiator hose (shut up) from Johnny Law. Supposed to be a kit with the ends, clamps and such. I get a big box with a dented up hose and no ends, clamps, etc. I write them and the resonse is "the shipping guys are assholes". In fairness they did send the rest of it later. I don't recon I will use them again.

8. fly

fly
    from USA

What about your dented up hose? Did they take care of it too?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. southerncad

southerncad

OK, lucky that I have not bought anything from these dirt bags, BUT, I did
    screw up and signed up for the Johnny Law website news or what the hell ever they call it....AND now I get about 50-60 Junk mails a day......the most I ever got before signing up was 1-2 a week:eek: So obviously the fuckers are selling their mailing list to anybody they can:mad:....lesson learned I guess!

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Pretty scary that they would make critical parts so shoddy. It's one thing to make shiny parts that wont affect safety cheap, but cutting corners on steering components will end up in a legal battle.

11. XXL__

XXL__

Not so much when you stick that "for off-road use only" type of language on everything, and then hide your company behind a dozen shells and firewalls to obfuscate real responsibility.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've bought a few things that I found out later were from Hoffman, a power window kit, some nylon wire loom, but nothing mechanical that could kill me or anyone else if it failed. If the window kit quits working, at least I won't lose steering or brakes or any other vital system. No way I would trust a vital steering, brake, or suspension part from them.

It's sad that there is even a market for cut rate products, but in today's economy, guys on a budget see this stuff and think they are getting a deal. High dollar parts fail, too, but not as quickly or easily as cheap stuff. Cheap stuff is OK on things that only inconvenience you if they fail, not OK on things that can kill you or others.....save up and do those right the first time!

13. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If someone sold food that's so bad it COULD kill You...
    You think he would be in business today?
    T

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a good example.

15. coast40

coast40

Some items CPP sells look like Hoffman items. Does anyone know if they are from the same Chinese suppliers?

16. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

I bought 2 push button switches, and 2 fan controllers. One switch worked!

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

And here I always thought that if you were in business and you sold junk you would not be in business very long.

I guess I was wrong because I see this same thing happen over and over again and yet these guys stay in business and people keep buying from them.

Even on E-Bay I always read a sellers feedback and when I read about all the negative comments over just the past year or so I wonder what even happened to E-Bay rule that if you had more then a few negative feedback comments you were banned from doing business with them?

It appears it no longer matters that either you sell junk or you don't stand behind your products.

Crazy world we live in today. Jimbo

18. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Do what I do and ask for a catalog. Use it for garden mulch then complain that it did not arrive. Ask for another!

19. XXL__

XXL__

I've been actively buying and selling on ebay since before it was called ebay (back in 1995, it was called AuctionWeb). I don't recall any such rule, but rest assured that ebay has absolutely ZERO direct interest in happy buyers. They get paid by SELLERS, and so their job is to make SELLERS happy. If they banned sellers for "more than a few" negative comments, they'd be cutting off their own hands. Having said that, they do need buyers to be at least happy enough to buy stuff from sellers or the sellers will go away. Although, ebay is such a juggernaut that it really doesn't matter any more... you either shop there or you don't and they'll still keep raking in huge $$$, propping up bad sellers by the tens of thousands.

20. coast40

coast40

Another new Hoffman company is Smooth Rods. Seller name smoothrods on ebay. Their phone numbers are 800-485-1462 and 503-863-5732 and 503-863-5700. They have been selling since March 23, 2014. This and johnnylaw_online are the 2 I found on ebay. johnnylaw numbers- 877-387-4942, 877-901-5984, 800-485-1462. Surprisingly johnnyl positive feedback is 99.7%, but the negative speaks heavily.

21. Ultimate pissing contest!

22. Junk, I wonder why the magazines continue to allow them to advertise their junk to the magazines customers? It's like they're approving the junk. Says alot about the magazines that do that.
    -Pat

JimSibley likes this.
  23. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

XXL__ likes this.
  24. jimpopper

jimpopper

I just got a dropped axle from Smooth Rods. It appears to be a good piece at a great price. Is the Hoffman Group improving or do I risk losing a wheel after a pothole strike?

25. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When Hellsinki Freezes Over...!
    NO WAY! I WOULD DRIVE THAT!

36 coupe likes this.
  26. 55willys

55willys

I bought a pair of caliper brackets from them. They look like they were knock offs of a Super Bell part right down to the logo (1 had been ground off). It was like they took the original part and used it for the pattern not accounting for shrink that happens with any casting. There were also some cold shut areas and some casting flaws that were filled with epoxy or bondo. What crappy parts, go thing I just got them for a mock up and I will not use them.

27. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not only do they make dangerous crappy parts....
    Now They're stealing from guys (Super Bell) that work hard and know what they're doing too...!even more F'ed Up!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  28. Rckt98

Rckt98

Have just read the whole thread. A friend of mine got caught with 1 of those shitty steering columns.
    This thread needs to be kept near the top.

29. jimpopper

jimpopper

Is there any markings on the steering column to identify if it is from them. I bought a new one from a vendor at The Canfield swap meet a few years ago for a great price and now I wonder about who made it and it's quality.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Send it back. Get a refund.

If you don't, have the coating removed, and have it magnafluxed, and x-rayed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.