Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a car that is not for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 15, 2017.

1. CJ 56 hemi

CJ 56 hemi
    from NJ

I would have to be in trouble to sell the 55. The 63 is for sale [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Ok I want to share a story.
    Had a off topic hot rod, it had to much power for the original rear end.
    I bought a similar car that had the correct rear end I needed.
    I had several people drive by and stop, ask if my parts car was for sale, answer was no.
    No problem, have a nice day.
    One time this kid stopped by and asked, I said no.
    He then broke into a tirade, demanding to know why I was wasting his time and I should put a not for sale sign on the car
    The answer again was no :rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  3. leadsled56

leadsled56

I'm going to chime in here. I, like most every one else here, have sold cars that I wished I had kept. I've also passed on cars that I really regret not buying when presented with the opportunity. At the moment I have the 2 Lincolns. One is close to a driver and the other is a decent, very do-able project. I would be willing to sell either one if someone is genuinely interested. My problem is I do not like to deal with people that try to low ball everything they ask about. I'm more the type to set a fair price and stick with it. Is that wrong these days? I don't want to ask twice fair market value and then haggle till the cows come home. I do have several family-owned cars that will not be for sale so long as I'm able to USE them. Too many memories to let them go. I'm at the age that priorities change along with physical limitations so something has to change as I age, I get that. I'm not going to hang onto cars just to be stubborn as that leads to a project for someone else that costs more then the end result is worth and that is wrong to do as the car will get parted or scrappped. Cars need to be loved, preserved, and driven. If you can't do that then pass it along to another enthusiast that will keep it from rotting into the ground. Great to see all the cars on here that are not for sale due to whatever your reason may be. Just be open minded when you reach that point that it's time to let it go and pass the a flame to the next guy or gal.

4. This one is my baby and not going anywhere!:)
    IMG_1053.JPG

5. "Do you have a car that is not for sale"
    My '40 p/u..but realistically, if I was offered some outrageous/far more then it is worth, amount of money, I'd sell it.
    So, I don't have any cars that are not for sale.

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Mine's not even done yet and I already made the decision to never sell it (unless the money is drastically life-changing, LOL).

Every guy I've ever talked to that sold the first car they built has expressed DEEP regret to me.

All my other junk is totally negotiable though and I've got one I'd sell ya right now ;)

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

my 57 chevy will never leave me. bought it in 4th grade. Not totally on topic for here (lots of late model drivetrain). Been with me almost 30 years (and im only 38) so its not going anywhere

els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

9. exterminator

exterminator

I would not sell that one either.

10. Anything I have is for sale if the sale price can replace it or make it better. ;)

I am usually more likely to trade then to sell, then money is not an issue its all about both of us getting what we want.

els likes this.
  11. chryslerfan55, Hamtown Al and els like this.
  12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

1986. I had a '59 Caddie convertible. White top, white seats, 3" white walls, black carpet and dash.
    "Pink Cadillac" was all over the radio and I had a friend who owed me a favor.
    Bright lipstick pink. Even with the pink and black fuzzy dice.
    We were going up to the mountains for a picnic. This dude in a corvette pulls up and wants to buy the car.
    Light changes, we go. Next light, he still wants to buy the car.
    We pull into a parking lot and I let him look. He still wants to buy the car.
    I tell him the dont wanna sell price, he takes it.
    I regretted it before the taillights were around the corner.
    Wife was soooo pissed.

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This one. Wanted one for 19 years before I got it, have had it almost 27 years and over 300,000 miles
    20170830_194737.jpg

14. My father and I have a 55 and a 57 Belair that he bought in the early 70s.
    I can't go near the cars without someone stopping and asking if they're for sale.
    Sometimes I just tell people if I wanted to sell these cars do you think I would have to wait for a guy on the street to walk up to me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TFoch, chryslerfan55, els and 5 others like this.
  15. wicarnut

wicarnut

Currently have 5 Hobby cars, 2 I'd rather not sell, 2 for sale that only have had car flipper type offers (I'm not having a fire sale) But in reality would sell all of them for the right offer ( silly $$$ way over value of car) I like my cars (Passion For The Hobby), Love my Family, Dogs and My Life in general. IMO there's not a car that can't be bought for the right offer. I might feel this way as I'm sneaking up on 70 and we've had a life changing health issue that puts things in a different perspective as what's important, clock is ticking. Like everyone, have had sellers remorse once or twice, but thought it through for a time period and what's the worst can happen, buy it back or another car of that type, But I've never spent years in the garage and my life savings on a car, for me, Racing and Hot Rods have been my Hobby, not my life, so I understand that man had one obsession for years would have an emotional attachment and that's a good thing as Passion drives our Hobby IMO. Everyone, Have A Great DAY !

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    chryslerfan55, els and jim snow like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, keep the 55 and the 57 but will you sell the 56 pictured?

czuch, chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Better look at the "56" closer:)

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

My first car (white 55 210 post) I wouldnt sell again if I had it back and others I wouldnt want to sell again but if I hadnt sold/traded them the first time I may not have gotten to experience all the ones Ive had. Sell one and hafta get another etc.etc.......life.

19. [​IMG][​IMG] I always told myself that I would sell my '31 3 window when it was done but the more time and money I put into it....I don't think I could ever sell it, now as for my pops '40 panel and my '55 3100 these are 100% never getting sold, I plan on being buried in my '55 or giving it to my eventual kids (as long as I know they truly would never sell it) haha

els, Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. It's a 55. We don't have a 56. Only a third of one.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. yep, but it's not HAMB material...or a car for that matter. The old one-ton with which Dad and I hauled no tellin' how many tons of watermelons out of the Rio Grande valley, or from the Farmer's Market in Birmingham, or Pecans out of Louisiana back to Arkansas to sell over the years. It sits in the yard now annoying the neighbors and the lawn nazis but it starts and moves under it's own power...set for restoring back to how Dad had it as soon as other things are paid off.

s55mercury66, Nostrebor and els like this.
  22. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

yep i have 3 cars...and none of them are for sale.....
    [​IMG]

but if someone is offering silly money.....then i am silly enough to take it

23. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

And how's that worked out for you?

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, it's worked well, thanks.

25. els

els

I have a few I would like to keep. One thought about your toys, " THEY SAY YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU". What happens if you pass on and you get to the pearly gates above and they ask. WHERE'S ALL YOUR STUFF??????

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that's a dirty trick :cool:. Never judge a book by its bumper.

27. Gr8punkin

Gr8punkin

I have two cars that are family heirlooms, which will stay with me until my kids get to fighting over them. The first is my 1950 Chevy truck that my grandpa bought from the dealership here in Albuquerque, it was their shop truck for a couple of years so it wasn't new when he bought it but he still got it from the dealer. The other is my 1937 Packard twelve convertible. Dad bought that one in the early 70's and used it for tours for the rest of his life. Not to mention it's the very first car I ever rode in, weddings for the family, and both of my kids first car rides were in that car.
    Someone could offer to pay off my house and office mortgages and I would still say no.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My dad bought the sunliner new so its not going any where,the 37 was a uncles farm beater that I learned to drive in and had the family of the original owner contact me and even though its not going to be for sale I was hoping they would have offered me stupid money for it. The cab is too small to be a long distance driver and if they offered me stupid money I would have a 40 Ford coupe or sedan.

Attached Files:

Fern 54, DylanHill1931, els and 2 others like this.
  29. 51 mercules

51 mercules

30. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I have several cars that I really love, but probably could be had for the right price.

However, the Vette was inherited from my dad, who literally said, "I will give you this car if you promise not to trade it for another hot rod." Been in the family a long time, so I'm keeping it.
    Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 4.11.59 PM.png
    My 32 roadster was a car I looked for for years. Bought it from a 75 year old man who owned it since 1962. It has history back to El Mirage and Harper's in 1947. Was last painted in 1974, including the flames. It's a pretty special car, feels like it has a soul. Certainly has its share of attitude. I'd have a hard time selling it, short of crazy crazy money. And I know I'd miss it.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 9.52.34 AM.png
    Interestingly, the one I get the most offers on is my 1950 F1. You can't drive this truck to the hardware store or coffee shop without someone asking if it's for sale. This is another one I would miss the moment it's gone, and every time I would see it, I'd say -- "Never should have sold that truck." So I'll put this on the list too.
    Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 5.32.27 PM.png
    Joe

rumblegutz, chevy54man, 4t8f1 and 8 others like this.