Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you have a 53/54 Chevy with TCI frontend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54oldie, Mar 30, 2011.

1. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

If you have a 53/54 Chevy car with a TCI frontend, I have a few question to ask. If you have a power rack on the TCI cross member, is it centered left to right or is it off center to the passenger side? If it is off center, how did you correct it. I have called TCI several times and their customer service will not talk to me. This makes me think all of their racks for a 53/54 are off center. If they could show me where I have installed something wrong, I wouldn't be posting this. If you are looking for a IFS for a 53\54 Chevy car, you might want to buy some other brand. Call TCI first and ask them if the rack is centered on their crossmember. After centering my rack, with tie rods off, the end of the threaded inter tie rod is only 1/2" from the passenger side mounting and 2" from the passenger side. Have you run into this?

Attached Files:

2. i just ran into the same problem with my merc. but its from fat man fab. i called them and they said i need a 2inch extention on the inner tierod on the shorter side. its a $100
    i have a tci on my 48 chevy but didnt have the problem with that one

3. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

I just got my first call back from TCI. They said the same thing. I need a 1" extension on the driver side. I guest all manufacturers have the same problem, because of the narrow frame on the 54. I stand corrected, that it is only on the TCI cross member. If I could have talked with a rep on my first call to them, it would have been solved 2 weeks ago and I could be on to other things.