Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Do these gears need to be replaced?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voodookustoms, Nov 23, 2015.

1. How do these gears look to you guys? This is from my 1954 Ford Victoria.
    Is that chunk bad enough to replace the whole thing? I don't know if it would actually effect the feel, or the safety? But this is my first time doing this. This is the steering gear. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448340256.292431.jpg
    And another view showing some uneven wearing ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448340326.974800.jpg
    To me, the sector gear looks pretty good.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448340361.408456.jpg
    But there is some slight marring on the sector shaft.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448340386.708250.jpg
    If they look good enough to keep using, obviously that would be much better for me. Cheaper, and I don't have access to a hydraulic press so I will be searching for someone in my area who does have one if they do need to be replaced.
    Thanks for any input. I'm learning as I go.

2. squirrel

squirrel

what does that shaft ride in...a bronze bushing? how does it fit?

the chunk missing from the gear, in the center of travel, will probably affect the feel and tightness of the steering box. If you can find another one in better condition, it would be good to swap it.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Have you driven it? Mine had two chips out of the worm and I could feel it so I replaced it

4. The shaft rides in needle bearings. It felt a little sloppy. I'll be replacing those for sure.
    And yes I've driven it like this. There was a little dead spot in the steering. Probably caused by this?
    Maybe it would be better to just replace them both. There are kits with everything new.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I would change them. Those pits in the gear are from wear and they will continue to grow until a significant sized chunk breaks off, which could leave the steering locked up, which could ruin your whole day. You might get a lot of miles out of it like it is, on the other hand, you might not. How lucky do you feel?

voodookustoms likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Is something broken off in your third picture (sector shaft)? It looks like the area near the top has a broken part missing.

7. fms427

fms427

Back " in the day " my 53 Ford convert was rejected by PA state inspection for a catch in the steering- looked just about like yours when I took it apart. So I suspect you will feel it - I would replace personally.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Replace the gears...You will never be able to adjust properly and if more comes loose won't be good..

9. I would suggest finding a replacement gear and rebuilding the box now that you have it apart. HRP

10. alchemy

alchemy

I'd replace that worm gear, but if the sector has no pits in it, I'd reuse the sector. Have the surface polished a little by your favorite crank grinder to get the scrapes off the shaft. Any new repro worm and sector gears won't be as nice as the originals, so try to keep them if they aren't too worn.

NealinCA has experience in pressing those worm gears on and off, and he's in your state. Give him a PM and see if he could do it for you.

11. Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely be replacing it, or having it polished. I'll take it to my engine guy next week.
    And I'll look up NealinCA. Thanks for the recommendation.

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Interesting, they find that while on a rack? I always
    move the wheels lock to lock while jacked to check for smoothness and any ratcheting.

Nice of you to replace that for him personally! He is in Michigan.

13. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

YES!! (that's the simple answer.)

14. glad your changing them.
    that is the type of thing that if you don't change now, while it is already apart, it will haunt your thoughts if it is not exactly perfect. you won't regret making it perfect!