Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do ou feel your car "fits" like you want it to?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rainh8r, Apr 8, 2011.

1. rainh8r

rainh8r

I built a 37 pickup years ago and drove it everywhere. I felt like it was part of me, and I was comfortable doing most anything in that truck. I have gone through many others over the years and while they turned out good, they never really felt as right. I drove a friend's 40 coupe awhile ago, stock interior and dash, good body, healthy 351C/4 speed, and that car really felt like it fit-everything just felt right. Now I'm thinking of a 40 coupe again and wondering how many other people feel like their car really fits them. Does yours?

2. phukinartie

phukinartie

I have 3 cars and the wife has hers, much like kids they are all different but the same ,well because I brought them to life "or back to" so they in a way came from me
    I can relate

3. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I would say my '42 fits me. I am making it better slowly but would never want to sell it. It is mine all the way.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My wife would say my falcon fit me to a T. Loud, violent, rude, ill-mannered, unreliable...

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My t bucket fit me. I made the seats, pedals, steering, mirrors, shifter.....everything fit me because I built it for me. Since then.....nothing fits 'me'. Damn I miss my car.

6. In 1965 I bought a new Ranchero and loved it, drove it across country a couple of times and drag raced it on weekends really a great little car. Had to sell it when the family got big.

7. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

bought an OT 85 pontiac fiero GT in 88 and have put nearly 100.000 miles on it myself. dont drive it all that much any more but everytime I do I remember why I never sold it. it still runs drives and handles great. when I get in and drive it feels like putting on a pair of gloves, it fits just right.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Those are cool lil cars.....really dig the 86-88 fastback GTs.

9. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

My chopped '48 Chevy p/u fit me like a glove. I loved driving that truck.
    The Essex fits me like trying to stuff 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag. That's why I'm giving it a ground-up rebuild. I want to be somewhat comfortable driving it long distances.

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I was ready to put the Zipper up for sale as it was very uncomfortable. Trim guy suggested a custom lumbar support and custom fitted it to my back and it makes this one of my favorite cars. Also tweaked the clutch and brake pedals to make it easy to drive.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got the wrong seat in the 48 right now as it was the one that the wrecking yard had that fit the truck and looked presentable when I needed a seat and it was only 20 bucks. That blasted seat is hard as a board and you can never get comfortable on it although I've probably put 20K miles on the truck with that seat in it.

When I first put the truck together Bob Russel of Waco did a roll and pleat seat for it that was one of the most comfortable seats I ever sat on and the trip from Waco to Tulsa for the 73 Street Rod Nationals was a great trip partially due to that seat. I wore that seat out over the years and the best I came up with after I chopped it was a 66 Toronado seat that I wish I still had in it.

Along with that there are several changes that I am making on the truck that will make it a hell of a lot more comfortable to hit the road for some serious miles when it is done and I do intend to put a lot of miles on it.

Comfortable seat, leg room with room for your feet, steering wheel in just the right place (mine isn't) and a shifter place where you hand naturally falls on it are all important things if you are really going to put miles on a rod or custom. Take away a couple of those and you have a car that doesn't get driven like it should and either stays in the garage or rides the stretcher to events.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My '48 Plym fits me like no other car I have ever owned. Of course, it has evolved over the last 18 years or so to suit me to a "T". The seat fits my butt, the clutch and brake are right where they should be at all times, the big stock wheel at just the right posistion... Driving anything else never quite feels "right". I trust it with my life damn near every day!

13. Ruiner

Ruiner

My '63 Dodge wasn't very comfortable at all when I bought it last summer, but after driving the OT daily driver all winter and sitting in the Dodge this spring to fire her up and move her...well, it was instant that she just feels right compared to the daily driver...and my '40 Plymouth drag car will be built to suit me, which is funny because it won't be street driven at all...

14. Moondog13

Moondog13

My O/T '68 Cadillac DeVille fit me perfectly. I loved that car, best 900 bucks I ever spent. I could've driven that car anywhere at anytime. I sold it to buy the ex a car. I could only wish my '63 Impala would feel anywhere as nice as the Caddy did.

15. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Never really thought about it as being fitted for me, but that's exactly what I was doing all along.

I used later model short back buckets with mechanical 6 way adjustments that don't take away from the era look since I wrapped them in white with gray piping to match the rest of the interior. They are set to my height and distance with full rear mounting to let my wrist just lay on the steering wheel for the right grip while driving.

The tail shaft mounted shifter was adjusted forward to within 3/16" of the open glove box door when in park, so my hand falls on it naturally when shifting.

The roll bars were built to still allow the buckets to recline for rest on long trips and even the fire extinguisher was mounted on the trans hump for quick access.

Though each item was given attention individually, nothing interfered with one another and the final outcome is perfect for me. Anyone bigger or smaller won't fit as well as I do because it's as a tailored suite. Others can drive it easy enough, but not with the exact comfort I will. It's truly built and fit for me............

Attached Files:

16. Muttley

Muttley

My Comet does, so did my '39 pickup and my old '67 Malibu. My '39 Coupe never did, a year after I bought it I was sick of it and sent it down the road.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Friend of mine has one with a turboed LS-1 in it.:eek:

18. No!!! But I knew it was'nt going to be a long haul car when I started it. This will probably be my last car but if I do another one it will be a little bigger, maybe a 32 3 window. Right now I'm thinking this is it.

Attached Files:

19. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

My car fits me better than most of my clothes.

20. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

My 62 Pontiac was a nice car, but did nothing for me...The 51 F1 fits, as did my 55 Chevy.....Need another 55, I think.

21. havi

havi

My KB2 IH fits me like a latex glove.....sticks out in 5 places. :D

Anyone who sits in an old IH cab can probably relate.

22. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Just picked up my 59 F100 today. I had a 60 when I was 15 with the old spring seat. I am 52 now and the 59 has a 90s GM truck seat. Fits much better and feels just right!

[​IMG]

23. gands

gands
    from arkansas

65 Falcon with a top loader 4 speed and stock steering wheel. Feels GREAT! High back wrap around suspension seats soon to be replaced by a low back bench seat. Hope it fits as well.

24. dannyego

dannyego

Still lookin.... My Ot 2004 chevy truck will be driven into the ground though.

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my 40 does--as have the last few 40's-stock type seat moved back 3 1/2 inches on all of them-way comfortable on the road

26. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Hind site is 20/20. My 54 truck was a great "fit" for me, I loved the way it drove, handled and rode. The only thing was the old engine was down on power a bit. Then along came a 39 Plymouth business coupe I just had to have. I offed the 54 in favor of the 39. Thought it was a nice car, it just didn't "fit". My poor old 50 4x4 that has been part of the family for over 10 years needed an engine and other left go upkeep. The 39 went down the road to repair the 50. I don't even miss it! We thought that with all the repairs to the 50, it would be OK to use it as out "hot rod", but it just doesn't "fit" that purpose, its a great truck and it will remain here because it "fits" that purpose. I have begun working on a "hot rod" 48 Plymouth project. At this point, hind site tells me I should have replaced the engine in the 54, but I will wait to see how the new project works out. I was hoping to have it on the road this year, but that looks doubtful at this point. As far as driving fit, driver position is real high on my demand list, it just HAS to be comfortable to drive. Gene

27. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

I was born for this car. It's dangerous, unreliable and smells bad. But it makes me laugh.

28. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I'm not sure whether my cars fit me, or I fit them, but I can't imagine getting rid of any of them.

29. metalman

metalman

I actually think how a vehical "fit" you is a big deal. I've had really cool cars that I didn't fit very well (I'm 6'4") and it take a lot of the fun out if your not comfortable in them. I'd rather drive the 39 Tudor in the garage much more then the chopped A coupe even though the coupe is a much nicer car.
    It the same with ot dailys. Had a 73 Ford duelly, that truck really fit me well, 20 years and 700,000 miles later it took me a long time to get use to my new duelly.

30. A '29 RPU was my first car in '58. I still drive one, so I guess you could say they "fit" me pretty well. :)