Register now to get rid of these ads!

do NOT let this happen to you!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Oct 5, 2003.

1. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

last year, while hunting, I found an early 30's chev in an abandoned farmyard my dad owns. It had many parts on it (specifically a PERFECT chrome grill shell) that I was planning to use for a project similar to the "Rocky 33." Well, a friend and I went to go retreive the shit off of it at about 4 pm today, and dammit if someone hadnt stolen everything but the chassis, wheels, and COWL!!! Ive hunted the trees in and out for years, and it was only last year that I found the car, it was hidden that well. The whole yard hads like 5 "NO TRESPASSING" signs around it, and I thought my father and I were the ONLY ones who knew about the car, but I GUESS NOT!! Im so pissed, I just wanna beat the SHIT outta the guy(s) who did it. WOW. The point im trying to make is that if you guys have leads on cars or parts laying around somewhere and your even REMOTELY interesting in having them, get them into storage IMMEDIATELY, cause there are chicken shit bastards out there who will steal your shit. I have waited like 7 months on getting the parts off this car because I just thought no one knew about it. Im soooo kicking myself in the ass for this. Just get out there and gather any parts you have laying around, or else your gonna feel like youve been raped after someone steals them...............................Briggs [​IMG]

2. Briggs, most honest rodders wouldnt take without asking first. You should put an ad in the NDSRA newsletter advertising your loss. Some rodder might have heard about parts like that on the market.

3. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

thanks T, ill look into that

4. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

An abandoned old farm...?
    And your mad because someone "stole" your parts that were abandoned deep in the bush?
    I can honestly see many here on EITHER side of that argument.
    This is a lot different than Rocky having his truck stolen!
    I feel for ya man, but I think you failed yourself by not acting quickly when the opportunity presented itself!

A lesson learned. [​IMG]

Bill

6. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

just because it is abanoned doesnt give other people the right to take what is on it if it got a owner, it still makes them a theifs..if it is on someone elses property regardless if it is abandoned it is still stealing

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'm NOT defending them but many old parts have been taken from the woods over the years...
    He should have jumped right away!

Bill

8. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

[ QUOTE ]
    An abandoned old farm...?
    And your mad because someone "stole" your parts that were abandoned deep in the bush?
    I can honestly see many here on EITHER side of that argument.
    This is a lot different than Rocky having his truck stolen!

[/ QUOTE ]

the farm is OWNED by my dad, complete with NO TRESPASSING signs

and I wasnt comparing my situation to Rockys model A that was stolen, I said I wanted the parts for a project like the "Rocky 33", you know the one Tman had?

9. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

well yeah hang em high! im pretty pissed at the moment anyhow so i would sure hang em high, im sick of all these people living of other honest peoples stuff. fuxx em all
    that goes from anything to drug dealers to theifs..

i think i will turn straight edge or something,

put up adds and flyers on local car meets that the car was stolen, do it got any vin or something ?

it should never be ok to steal from other people, if they wanted it they could have contacted the owner of the property and asked... they first of all tresspassed and then stole, hang em high!!

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ya know Briggs... the more I think about your loss the more I think it was someone close to you who liberated the parts!

Who was hunting with you and who did you mention the car to?
    If that was as hidden as you say then it might have been a "friend"(?) or the friend of a friend who claimed it!
    I think you been DONE son!
    No Trespassing signs only tell the inquisitive that the yard holds something of interest BTW...

A "TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT" sign usually works...ESPECIALLY if it has several bullet holes in it!

Bill

11. ray

ray
    from colorado

that happended to me once. turns out the car was just shittier than i had remembered!

really though, i KNOW if the story went the other way, how the hamb group opinion would have been...

basically if you leave it set as junk, which your wording leads us to believe,(abandoned, etc...) don't be suprised when your "junk" disappeared. sounds like you took a gamble and lost.

last fall i "lost" a couple of 13" astro supremes, a polished intake and new quadrajet for a sbc, and (i think) a pair of buick alum drums. stuff that i left outside in my own yard. being i left it outside, i blame myself as much as whoever "found" my stuff.

12. I have stumbled on to some stuff through the back way before while hunting came in where there were no signs up in the hills in cali in fact I found this old dodge grill shell in front of a bullet riddled heap was laying on the ground I grabed it after we got back to the truck and drove by what looked like the entrance to that patch of land there were some no trespassing signs I didnt hike back to put back the shell and doubt it was ever missed but who knows maybe I got labeled a theif by that guy ??? I went back years later and all the cars there had been bulldosed into a pit nothing was salvageable from any of them ???

13. Judd

Judd

Briggs
    Take an add out in the local paper. Wanted ( something they stole ) will pay top dollar. Go check it out if they call then call police on cell phone. Or have big friends with you and persuade them to give it back.
    Judd

14. Briggs, check your PMs, I got a # for you to call

15. McGrath

McGrath

I found a '52 Dodge Royal in the woods once. Opened the hood and it had a "Super Red Ram" Hemi in it. An old Dentist owned the land and had just died. by the time I got in touch with the new owners, it and two other cars had been sent to the Crusher. The Dodge, a '60's Dodge Wagon, and one of those Bullet nosed Studebaker Cars.

They had been setting there for years because the road coming in had 4" thick tree's growing up in it. If I had found that car just a few months earlier, the old Dentist probably would have let me have them if I cleared his road back out for him.

16. I bet you told some one about your great find – abandoned out in the sticks, he told some one or some over heard someone talking a bout this great find just sitting out there abandoned.

You should have got stowed away straight off. I’m not saying its ok to steal someone’s shit but the “out in sticks” would be fare game to some.

17. Remember guys- it either belongs to you or it DOES NOT......there are no "abandoned"old cars in farmers fields -you are just stealing.around here they shoot a lot/[for any reason] so Id say be careful where you even look- much less haul off someones old parts. [​IMG]

18. If this make you feel better, I knew of a 55 Chrysler that my wifes Uncle had parked in a barn on their old farm. I might have known about it for a while, I dunno, but when we went to look for it, it had been nabbed. Hemi and all...............Even though they routinely go in and out of the homestaed and live only a couple miles away.

19. ray

ray
    from colorado

in minnesota there was an "abandoned" car i was eying. its kinda funny, the more you know aqbout the situation, the more you just want to load it up on a trailer! i came across this car by working for the farmer who rents the land, from children of a crazy widowed mother, who is now in a nursing home. the car is a 61 olds 2 door post, no options and rusty as hell, but complete and otherwise cherry, including the 394 mill. still has all the documentation in the glovie.

well when they put the ol lady in the nursing home, they did NOTHING to the homestead, nothing! they did not even remove food from the fridge! well ten years later, i come across this place, STILL food in the fridge. house still full of furniture and what not, and of course still a 61 olds in the garage. now i follow up on this the correct way. well doncha know that a family that doesn't care enough to get any personal effects from the house don't give a rats ass about grannys old car. the stuff sits.

so, to this day is sitting a beautiful old farmhouse full of old furniture, virgin woodwork in the house still! nobody gives a damn about any of it. just rotting away, and it IS.

look at it this way, maybe the person who jacked "your" car parts, is doing a perfect restoration, a fitting home for that perfect grille. maybe a better place than on a rat rod.

20. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

thanks for the stories and tips guys. I see there are MANY victims of assholes.............................................Briggs

21. I'm heading off into the bushes in the morning with my rain gear, toolbox and camera to harvest a few things off of an abandoned 40 ford truck that's sitting by an abandoned house near my grandparents place. It's to bad somebody got to your car before you did.

22. Zeke

Zeke

[ QUOTE ]
    Briggs
    Take an add out in the local paper. Wanted ( something they stole ) will pay top dollar. Go check it out if they call then call police on cell phone. Or have big friends with you and persuade them to give it back.
    Judd

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do that you better hope you don't threaten somebody who just happen to have whatever you asked for in his parts stash looking to score some bucks for a project. Yhay could get real messing real fast.

23. BigJim394

BigJim394

I have a friend who inherited a "camp" in Northern New England which is basically an old style back woods cottage. It's not in a Yupped up area, and most of the businesses around there have gone to hell (logging's way down, and the factories are pretty much gone). It's fine during the spring/summer/fall when other homeowners are in their camps, but come winter, when they don't even plow half the roads in the area, some of the locals come through on their snowmobiles and clean out the camps, and take whatever parts they want off cars and boats left in garages and sheds.

My friends neighbor has his motor taken off his outboard and most of the easily removable sheetmetal and seats/windshield/tires&wheels ripped off from his vintage CJ-5 that was in a locked garage. They also stole about half the furniture in the house. With all the power outages in the area in the winter from snow laden branches hitting power lines, the thieves have learned to break into homes when the lines are down (in case there was an alarm system...not that the cops could get there in time to catch them).

Now my friend has to go up before the snow falls and haul anything of value from the camp and put it in storage (especially his 2 vintage dirtbikes that the locals have already been eyeing...those would go fast). The cops have been little help with all the thievery as they usually are not informed of it until the spring.

Dirtbags are taking over the country.

24. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yeah but whats more dissapointing is how little I got for it on EBAY... No seriously, that sucks big time, everyone has had something taken from them befor...I have waited to long on cool scores that ended up going somewhere else...

25. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

Briggs,
    you might have led them to your find, I've got some old 8mm movies (probably never seen those) of a piute indian village that I found in the foothills of central calif. while I was out brush busting in my cad powered 48 plymouth with original 61,000 mile black paint (it was just a car back then)
    this village was over 100 years old and never touched. had a 10 foot flat rock full of holes with all the grinding stones still in all the matching holes. had rocks piled in circles for two rows of TP's plus one larger rectangle shaped that must have been a lodge to smoke um home grown. it was so awesum to walk around and look at all this. I left it just like I found it. told a few people about it and no one believed my story so I took my aunt and uncle and my camera and went back again. some new tire tracks had followed mine and all the grinding stones had been moved to different holes and some were missing. next time the were all gone and someone had been sifting dirt for artifacts. next trip there was a chain link fence with keep out signs from USC.
    when you found that car you left a trail. doesn't make it right but someone found the same thing and knew someone else had been there and moved faster than you.
    its the "He who hesitates has lost" thing [​IMG]