Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do i need to choose my paint system now?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arominus, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Arominus

Arominus

I've been working on sanding of a lot of sunbaked rust off of my fenders, hood, ect and I'm going to need to prime them. That said, i feel like im a good year or 2 from painting the car, minimum. Should i be worried about what paint system I'm going to paint the car with? My dad's saying i should be looking at water based paints and i should be choosing what i want to go with for the color coat when i choose primer for this step of priming. Ill be killing the left over rust with naval jelly/phosphoric acid before i prime.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm digging around and reading, but i would love some input from the collective. I plan on painting myself, and I want to go Copper and metallic dark gray on the car (if that matters). This will be my first paint job, but at this stage im mostly concerned about protecting the parts while i work on the rest of the car.

Thanks!

2. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I am interested in this too!

3. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Wow, a year or 2...I'd usually say just [ut 2-3 coats of epoxy primer on it. If it's in the garage, it should be OK, but if it's outside, you may want to seal it up after epoxy with something more weather resistant, perhaps a coat or 2 of a cheap single stage paint.
    Whe prepping for paint later, use the single stage as a guide coat to sand it all flat. Even base clear will go over single stage that's cured that long.
    So, no you don't really need to pick a paint type/color/manufacter right now Just be sure to protect your hard work with whatever you deem necessary.\
    Beside, paint technology does change, there might be new stuff on the market in 2 years! Waterborne, for instance!

5. Arominus

Arominus

Ok, awesome. I still have to put in floors and such, who knows i may get to painting it in 6 months but that feels optimistic. I have a lot of work to do :)