Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do hotrods belong in art gallereys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by I go pogo, Dec 3, 2007.

1. I go pogo

I go pogo

Most people thought so at this one.

Attached Files:

2. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Sure...but they are more fun on the street.

What's the story?

3. if you see it like an art...yes..i see it as art..

4. I go pogo

I go pogo

I was delivering some artwork to this gallerey and the director asked me to put my car in the show.
    pogo

5. Fe26

Fe26

Yes they do, they are for the most part works of Art. An artist creates a work to express and communicate to others concepts or insights that mirror our thoughts and feelings as human beings. We may not like nor understand everything put in front of us, even so that does not disqualify it from being art.
    Art is in the eye-of-the-beholder.

6. DrJ

DrJ

Not the first time you've rolled your sculpture onto a gallery floor if I remember right. :cool:

Where is it and what dates are the show?

7. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Quite the delivery van....................:)

8. Hell Yeah!!! :D

9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I'm not knocking the high brow art world BUT, I'd rather not see them in a gallery setting. It's not that some of our favorite hot rods and customs are not worthy, it's just the whole "society crowd" kind of blows in my opinion. Same thing with the Pebble Beach deal. I just don't think I can handle some affluent ass explaining to his associates what the poor dirt farmer was trying to express when the car was built.

Having said that, if there was a showing of hot rods in a gallery near me, I'd go. Why not(?), there's usually food there.

10. why not both , but better on the street.

11. I go pogo

I go pogo

Quite right John! But this is the first one that made it under it's own power.
    Unfortunately the show is just over.:(

12. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

If it is your personal expression, and it evokes emotions from others that view it!. It's ART!!!. Real loud cool art!!!!

13. I go pogo

I go pogo

I agree, Art should be heard as well as seen.:D

14. Fe26

Fe26

OK now here's an idea, how about cutting a rod in half and mounting each half on a wall and in a picture frame, in a swanky Art Gallery.
    Then auction both "pictures on opening night" could be interesting to see who will put up the most money. The serious "Art" collecter or the serious "Hamber"? Or course the art collecter would keep the "art" in the appropriate envirnonment and watch his investment appreciate in value. The Hamber who get them home and in his garage, he knocks off the frames and welds the car back together.
    NOW! the big question arises. Has the Hamber destroyed a work-of-art...... Or has he made one?

15. himmelberg

himmelberg

A museum director here did a Lowrider theme as art and soon found himself looking for a job, according to legend. The show was great, as was the turnout.

A gallery director with room enough to install a full sized hunk of automotive art on wheels on an impulse appears to have a lot of room or a little pre-planning.

Obviously, some hotrods are pure art and deserve a place and a show... but, heck, seems like there are plenty of those. Gallery folk want to sell things and the folk who buy at galleries are unlikely to purchase a hotrod for their art collections.

artfully opinionated, himmelberg

16. Absolutely! Hot Rods and Customs are an expressive and functional form of art. Car customizers and hot rodders are artist in their own right and should be treated as such.

17. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

It would be the same as the motorcycles in the Guggenheim museum in New York from a couple of years ago. That had people lined up for days to get in. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

18. synthsis

synthsis

As long as they don't spend their life there and it's for a limited time, yes.

19. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

Holy Cow......are you kidding. Sure the guy at Subway is taught to say he is a "sandwich artists", but he isn't an artist, and the sandwich is a sandwich, not art. Yes, if the subway employee pooped on the sanwich and ate it in front of a crowd, he could also declare himself a "performance artist".......cars are cars, some cool, some not, and the people that build them are mechanics, not artists.

20. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I took a art class in college and had to go to a gallery to write a pater on the art.... Well I refused, I told the teacher it was all crap and that was all I had to say about it. I do not mind looking at a piece of art if it intrest me but who cares what the artist was thinking when he created it. Yes I would go to a art show involving autos.

21. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

most hotrods, no. ralph lauren's car (hotrod) collection, yes.

22. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

People have been debating what is and isn't "ART" for the last few hundred years and were probable not going to settle that question here. However, to make a statement that cars are cars seems a little strange to me. I believe that most people on the HAMB have a slightly more emotional involvement with there rides then to just call them "cars". Also, you cant tell me that a guy who tunes a multi carb engine by ear, or can set up a rear end by feel is just a mechanic?. Or someone who takes a few sheets of aluminum and hand forms a body is just a body man?. In my book, those are artists, and there finished product is ART!. Have you ever seen a copy of The Rodder's Journal?, that my friend is not just a book about cars, thats an art book!.

23. Does fine art belong in a garage?

The art might get that garage stink on it, and vice versa.

24. kopis

kopis

Nope, they belong on the road

25. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

When the stink of the garage:eek: and the stink of the art:eek: converge and form a third unique stink!,:rolleyes: thats what makes it worth so much more!!!$$$:)

26. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Cars are meant to be driven, every dam last one of them. Static displays suck unless they get to see a little road time on a regular basis.

27. Mopar34

Mopar34

Sure why not?? Considering some of the nouveau metal art crap they put in some of these shows, a hot rod, any hot rod, would make a better exhibit piece, and attact a more favorable response from most viewers. Just don't leave it there for a long run, as a hot rod is to be driven, not sitting.:cool: