Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do Any Of The Additive Sealers Actually Work??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winged Avenger II, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Anybody have any first hand experience with any of the tranny sealers to prevent leaks. I tried Bar's on a radiator once and it was crap. Just wondering if there is a REAL sealer out there that works and not just the one's that claim to do everything. My gut says no, but tell me what ya know. Thanx.

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

The only thing that I know works for a while is .I used boiler repair silver pellets in my wife's car before we were married ,Had a blown heater core ,I dont like bars leak ,Only the silver ,Trans stuff dont work ,Brake fluid is the best ,But to much will kill a trans .This is off topic but seafoam is great ,Lucas products .Thats all I know and heard about .

3. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I have used the aluminum powder stuff in several applications , leaking radiator, heater core and leaky head bolts. It worked great.

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

I do remember using STP for my smokin' Studebakers back in the '60's & it worked very well. However, I just recently started driving my completed build (with a '65 283) & added some Barsleak rear main seal leak stopper & it doesn't seem to work.

5. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

No such thing as a miracle in a can.Just fix the thing the right way.

6. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Black pepper will stop a small radiator leak

7. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Somethings work, and somethings do not. In my experiance it tends to have more to do with the cause of the leak than the brand of the additive you put in.

Also, are you having trouble with a leaking transmission, or radiator?

8. CHOP36

CHOP36

I use Lucas all the time in the used cars we get in .It works for any problems we have to deal with.

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

Lucas is the best, but if you have a leaking front or rear tranny seal nothing is going to fix it but replacment seal. Barsleak used to work good on the older cars but the Alumaseal works best on newer stuff,but everybody knows a temporary fix is just that.

10. HotRod33

HotRod33

The additives are a short term fix at best... They sweel up the rubber in the seals and help out sometimes for a little while.... If you have a leak the right way to fix it is put in new seals.....

11. What I'm looking for is something for the tranny. My kid and I (he repairs, fabs everything) had the tranny out and went over everything. It's still leaking. Best thing is to yank it again and take another look. Was wondering if there is a REAL something that works for trans. Thanx.

12. Used Lucas power steering sealer in a Camray and it cured it. We used the AC Delco radiator tabs in every car on the assembly line. Each got two.

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

At any auto parts store; Transmission stop leak.

Of course they work in many cases, sometimes not. It's a no-brainer. Try it. If it works you saved yourself a lot of work and a lot of money. If it don't work it only cost you about 9 bucks more or less.:D

14. can you tell where it's leaking from? what tranny?

15. Timbo from Mempho

Timbo from Mempho
    from Memphis

I have used a product called "Trans X" with good results. It comes in quart cans and I think NAPA has it.

Later,
    Timbo

16. whisky runner

whisky runner

its easier to find a good mechanic...than a mechanic in a can...:)

17. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

I will say this, if Lucas' transmission additive works as good as their power steering treatment it would be what I would try. That power steering treatment is a God send.