Register now to get rid of these ads!

DNE 5 Speed. Anyone taken one apart?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Y, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Paul Y

Paul Y

I think I will have to stop taking my car out....

Today I managed to get 2 1/2 runs in at the Outlaws Picnic before my gearbox jammed itself in 3rd gear and possibly one other.

My initial thoughts are that I have bent the selector forks.

Now, before I start to pull the box and get stuck into it I could do with some guidance as to if this is an easy job to do, pointers and gotchas and if theres is a known weakness that could have caused the failure.

Looking forward to hearing from those that are more knowledgable than I.

Going to be away for a week but please can you post the required information as I will be cracking into this on my return, Friday.

Many thanks

P. [​IMG] <!--POLLS--><!--FILES-->

2. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

I had one of the Doug Nash 5-speeds in my GTO, one of the cast iron shift cams broke (shaft broke off the cam) while I was racing it at the local dragstrip. Couldn't select 3rd or 4th gear, but was able to drive it home.

The cases are easily split after removing the tailshaft housing and front bearing retainer. The shift cams and shift forks are easy to remove after you split the main case. No surprises, pretty easy job

Just seal up the cases with a thin layer of silicone or whatever you prefer, replacing the 3 seals around the shift cam shafts would be a good idea at this time.

I ended up replacing all 3 of the iron shift cams with billet pieces from G-Force if I recall correctly at a cost of about $300, the shift cams are a known weak point in these gearboxes.

3. Paul Y

Paul Y

Now that is why I am a member here!

Many thanks!

P.