Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY tail light idea (about as close to tech as I'll ever get)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kripfink, Jan 28, 2011.

1. hotdamn

hotdamn

those look killer, you took two kind of bland looking lights and made something awesome out of the two!

dig it!

2. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hamb folks is good folks.Paul

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Paul;

Not hijack thread, but;

How well does the "nuance NaturallySpeaking 12 speech recognition program" work for you? DragonSpeak bites. What I'm interested in, is, length of "learning" for the program, & also, how well it recognizes enunciation & pronunciation.My little brother has had fits w/his, & gave-up on it. I think he tried a couple of others, but I can't remember which ones. If this works very well, I'll let him know. He's here on the HAMB sometimes.

TIA.

Marcus...

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

You are going to have alot of people asking where they can find a set of those lights. It looks 100% better.The paint just pops out on the truck.

5. Paul, i love the look......VERY cool. Thanks for posting.

6. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Well, over the past eight years I have tried various programs, all of which were pretty dismal failures. I thought I'd give this one a try after the advert where the guy jumps out of the plane etc etc etc. I have to say it's not 100% infallible, and sometimes gets confused between words that are pronounced similarly, but it has one important thing that none of the previous programs I've used had, and that is a feature way you can "teach" the program to recognise words that are pronounced the same by adding your own special pronunciations to the database. Sometimes manual correction is the last resort, but I can honestly say that this is the first program that even comes close to "doing what it says on the can". I found that by reciting the passages it gives you in the initial setup, it was pretty much ready to use in a couple of hours, and with persistence it can "learn". For example I taught it to use the word kripple instead of cripple, and the punctuation really is very good! All of the punctuation used in this reply to you was done using speech and not manual input. In short, this is the only speech recognition program that I have found it easy enough to use on a daily basis, and I would not be without it now.
    Best of luck
    Paul

7. cederholm

cederholm

That looks great! Very creative. ...and that red flake is amazing!

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

They're only "overdone" here on the HAMB...there's still lots cars being done with 'em...but I guess they don't read the HAMB...

Here's a set my son "twisted" up for his '59...
    [​IMG]

Nice look on the panel Paul...the mind/imagination never quits...

R-

9. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Thanks a lot Roger,that means a lot coming from you.
    Paul

PS. Those in the picture are bitchin'! Like I always say, things only become cliched because they were so popular, and they only became popular because they were cool:cool:they are still my favourite taillights, but would stick out too far at the back of the panel.

10. Kripfink those tailights look great! i have one one the nuance dragon program version 11 and it can really be a bitch getting it to work. tons of patience ad time required.

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

After a few months, heres the deal, i never actually worked on them since having this idea until half of last month while i was off work.
    This is the result of a week worth of afternoon work sessions, bare w/ me, i also have the rest of the car to build, but being way O/T, i just focus on the tail lights.

In my tail light stash i found these 1st gen camaro lenses.
    [​IMG]

cut the centers that are a glove fit in the 59 cad crowns.
    Needed loads of refining w/ a sandin disk but came out perefct in the end.
    [​IMG]

Heres the result.
    These red ones are the position/stop lights, and the red roundy part under the cut camaro lense in red plexi i sanded on one side, then heated and bent.
    One white lense version (turn signals) i cut the base of a clear cad bullet, which needles to say is perfect.
    If i had 2 red bullets i would have done he same but i only have 4 clear ones..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I spare you the metalwork on the car as is not the point here, but this is the almost final result, b4 final metalwork and filler.
    I added a sunken antenna in there for good measure....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, run down of used parts is:

1-1st gen camaro tail light lenses centers.
    2a-cad bullet bases (need to cut'em)
    2b-homemade plexi lense.
    3-59 cad bullet crowns
    4-renault 4 light bulb holders
    5-93mm holesaw to hold the lense/crown assembly (weld to body)
    6-some steel and tons of patience.

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Cool as the proverbial cucumber my man, and I dig that Frenched antenna big time too:cool:
    good job
    Paul

13. Racewriter

Racewriter

14. Racewriter

Racewriter

I don't mean to be a dick, but aren't those 2nd gen Camaro lenses (70-73)? The first gen (67-69) had rectangular taillights, as I remember. Whatever generation, I love the result!

15. brushape

brushape

Those are sick that's why I love the h.a.m.b. and hot roddin

16. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Nice job all of u, way to think out of the box! Got to love the hamb!

17. I think they add just the right touch, not bland but not flashy look at me. They go very well with it!

18. Squablow

Squablow

I like it. They did look a little "tacked-on afterthought" before. I think I'd like it without the blue dots as well, just the crowns and the lenses, but either way it works.

19. lukey

lukey

Ok, after reading this the stock taillights on my ford now suck! Thanks kripfink!

20. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Thanx for the compliments, they will be much nicer after final bodywork.
    And yeah, theyre gen.2. im not much of an expert about them.

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Soothed and primed. i got rid of the ridge around the openings cause im in a hurry as bad weather is comin and it would have took me too much time to "fine tune" it.
    I'll get back to it next summer, meanwhile its good enuff to cruise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]