Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY tail light idea (about as close to tech as I'll ever get)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kripfink, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

One of the hardest things to decide when building the kripple kart
    was what do with the tail light arrangement. Eventually we settled for Impala lenses Frenched into the roll pan, simply because we couldn't come up with a better idea. Personally, I've always thought they looked like a kind of "that'll have to do"deal that looks really bland with no personality. I've lived with it for a couple of years but this week I decided to do something about it! So I raided my stash and came up with these parts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

oughta look cool!

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Now,those of you that know me will know my hands don't work so the following was done with the assistance of a grown-up with a grinder, who took the bottom of the Cadillac bezel off and fitted the dots to the Impala lens, and a teenager who bent the crowns to shape and epoxied them to the lense.

Attached Files:

4. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Finally,screwed back into their Frenched recesses a couple of before and after shots. I think they look a lot more "finished" now.

Thank you for your attention.
    Paul

Attached Files:

5. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Way cool man, I think it is a very nice improvement. Keep on keepin on!

6. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Very good idea. I don't recall ever seeing that done. I am glad you have some helpers that understood your vision of what you were wanting. It looks great and I love your panel, always have.

7. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Paul, looking good.

Mind you it's heard to see past that beautiful flake.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Wow, i really dig it, that's slick, and raiding the 'ol parts stash

9. Noland

Noland

Those things are trick, looks great

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

wow! That was a great idea. a great improvement.

11. Gator

Gator

Nice! Good on ya for not just sticking '59 Caddy lenses in there - so overdone...

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I have to come clean, that was my original plan four years ago before I discovered this place. It's how come I "just happened"to have six crowns lying around in my stash. You live and learn:eek:.
    Just don't tell anyone else!
    Paul

13. Recycle, Recycle, Recycle.........................Damn that looks great.
    Where did those cool, colored "jewels" come from?

14. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

They are just a variation on the old favourite "blue dots" that have been used on hot rods for years, only nowadays they come in a variety of colours. I have red on my taillights, Amber on my turn signals and green on my reverse lights. Just punch in whatever colour you want, followed by "dots" in the search bar of a certain well-known auction site and there are several places that do them. Not very pricey either.
    Paul

15. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Looks awesome! Great way to use the resources you already have in your parts stash.

16. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Two thumbs, way up!!!

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Was workin on some home made tail lights last weekend and wasnt pleased w/ the result at all, and then i remembered about this thread!
    Lighning struk. really.
    I have 4 cad bullets in my shed, no i dindt want to use'em, nt all 4 at least, ahahaha, so getting the crowns was easy.

Now, its still top secret shit until im done, for now im just gonna say its gonna involve some customs colored plexi, the center of the lenses of a well known muscle car, the caddy crowns, renault 4 buckets (where you stick the bulb), some metalwork on the car end, and some superglue on the lenses end.
    theyre gonna be awesome, im so pumped about this. Thanx Paul.

18. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Oooh, a mystery yes? I am intrigued! You must post pictures when it's done or I will set the CIA on you!

Paul

19. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

How do you type on the hamb if your hands dont work?

20. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I think the cia is already on me:mad:

Anyways, yeah i sure will post pics, this is one of those things that im real proud of, plus, im thinkin about the tail lights on this project for 4 years, so this is like a mile stone step to finally decide on them, and again, this thread was the spark i needed.
    One more thing, i think will be callin them "Mini Thrusher 'lights".
    Im so pumped!

21. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Very limited movement in my right arm allows me to negotiate a touchpad and keyboard very very slowly with the knuckle of my little finger on my right hand, which I use mainly for opening and closing programs and posting pictures. But mostly I have nuance NaturallySpeaking 12 speech recognition program which is how I am dictating this.
    Paul

22. Billet

Billet

Paul,
    I've always liked your Kart, the tail light treatment was a good choice. Thanks for posting your tail light tech. Rich

23. Another tip: When I also got the hint that 59 Caddy taillights were way overdone, I picked 61 Plymouth taillights and 62 Plymouth reverse lights for my 49 flatbed truck. In my quest to re-use as much of the Dodge Dakota that I set my 49 Dodge truck body on, I wanted to reuse the stock Dakota bulb sockets and wiring harness. Problem is that the Dakota taillight housings are thick plastic and they take the "quarter turn" bulb sockets and the 1961/1962 lights used the older spring tab "snap in" bulb sockets. I took a small square file and opened up the older taillights to accept the quarter turn bulb sockets (Be careful, one of the three tabs of the quarter turn bulb sockets is longer than the rest. Mark the taillight with a Sharpie before you start filing and use that to index the bulb socket into the old taillight from then on!) I was all happy with myself until I realized that the Dakota bulb sockets were designed to hold onto a thicker taillight housing and they'd probably quickly fall out if I didn't shim up the difference. I was digging through my stash of "might use this someday" o-rings and gaskets when I ran across some of the little color-coded silicone rubber rings that the Target store's pharmacy puts near the screw cap to identify my prescriptions and my wife's. I sliced them to about half their thickness and stretched them under the three tabs on the bulb sockets and they work like a champ! (As a bonus, the Dakota bulb sockets have a ground wire coming off of them as part of the wiring harness, so you don't have to worry about having a good ground on the taillight or the bulb base. They'll work even when they're hanging out in the breeze.)

The 1972 license plate was just to plan where & how to mount the 1949 license plate later. Thankfully I decided against Romex S-hooks. :cool:

I'll post more photos of the light housings & Dakota bulb bases if you like???

Attached Files:

24. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

I like it alot, great job Paul...

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Yellowrr , that looks really great. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

26. CLM

CLM

Awesome, just what it needed! I guess I had missed the pictures of your interior up till today, it turned out great. Love the color combo done that way.

27. THANKS! It's been fun trying to save some $$$ and to re-use as much of the Dakota as possible.

I like your vision too. Having the crown of the caddy taillights bent inwards and using another lens with them is genius! Looks awesome!

28. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Thanks for replying, I was genuinly interested.

29. pcterm2

pcterm2

:DKripfink when i think your ride cant get any better ,well lets say i like a
    little salt and pepper on my crow.

:DYellowrr your looks real damn good

30. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Mr KFink

Like someone already said ,just when you think it can't get any better ,

You prove us wrong again,

I love the panel and the color just pops
    from day one seeing it ,I fell in love again.

anyway ,just wanted you to know......

Tail lites look great.....