Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Clear coat with compressed air, but same process of spray on silver is with spray bottles!

2. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi For all! Whats new for all?

I`m waiting for some chemicals for my underground laboratory for some experiments! I hope this is the last step for my formula!

3. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Nicamarvin look at this video! Look at his guy silvering gun? If I understand right, than both of solutions is mixing in spray gun not in air????

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wnth3ipqobI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. dracfink

dracfink
    from arizona

i've found a chroming kit on eastwood as well that doesn't seam to be to be to expensive

5. Here is info from their webpage:

Eastwood Liquid Chrome w/ black base coat Kit
    Item #51008 ZP
    In Stock - Ready to Ship Today
    Components Price: $130.96
    Only $99.99
    You Save $30.97
    Spray-on an easy, shiny, chrome finish that closely matches genuine chrome

Complete kit has the formulations you need to create a bright finish that closely resembles OEM chrome...at significant savings over individual prices.

• Spray on the Basecoat Black Urethane and Activator
    • Follow by spraying a light layer of Liquid Chrome
    • Finish with a coating of Liquid Chrome Clear to make it shine

6. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

this stuff is more like the powder coat chrome and its only shiney silver

7. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

its just paint..;)

8. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well the mixing is on the gun, but you and I both know the reaction takes place on the piece(to be spray chrome), yeah once the chemical mix, the reaction takes place, BUT the reaction finishes one the surface.

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I believe is under thread tools, but its not perfect, I always need to be checking on this thread because it will not inform me about post from time to time

10. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

I know it Nicamarvin, just i newer before so system like this! Maybe I will try it! If it works than double nozzle spray guns is history!

11. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Today tryed this gun with one nozzle! No results! This guy know some tricks how to make this gun right!

12. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

13. opeldel

opeldel
    from Belgium

14. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

15. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi For all!

Whats new in silvering? Everyone is sleeping?

Nicamarvin does temperature of air affect silvering process? In my country is winter now and outside is -10 to -20 and sometimes when i forget to switch on heating temperature in garage is +15+17`

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  16. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

Been to busy to get down to the spray shop will get down there as soon as I can.
    I notice that most chrome spray firms reccommend 20c+ for chrome spraying.
    Sudzhis whats the lowest temperature you Have silvered succesfully with?

17. ngocdong2001

ngocdong2001
    from Vietnam

Yeah, very busy here there day. Will come back when I have free time.

18. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Maybe it is reason because all go wrong! i had a 100% working formula and it isnt work ! Reaction is slow and lot of dust! Tomorrow I will take thermometer to garage, but i think there is not more than +12+14` haha! I will heat garage tomorrow!

I think Nicamarvin dont know anything about low Temperature, because he is happy men with summer everyday in his country ha ha!

19. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

anything like this ''paint related'' should be over 60 deg f for proper drying

20. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Today I take a Thermometer to my garage and YES, T` is only +13 ha ha :D With working dresses I even dont feel that is so cold!

21. ngocdong2001

ngocdong2001
    from Vietnam

Hi sudzhis, did you ever use hot water? If not, I sugest you make it hot just before spraying.

22. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Yes i use, BUT- air compressor take air from garage and water again stays cold :) I will try to solve this problem but it will take some time! For now i make experiments in warm place!

Or u mean all chemicals and water? Or make only hot water?

Maybe tomorrow I will silver some bigger piece! Will see!

23. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi for all!

I have very, very strange problem! I have no more ideas for now! :) I just work on my formula and it is done! works very good, no burns or stains! But problem is- it works only with two hand sprayers, but dont work with dual head spray gun :eek: Cant understand why!?????
    If i use two sprayers reaction is with good speed and fast enough, but with spray guns it is slow, so slow that it is impossible to do something! it just dont want to work! Do someone have some ideas?

24. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

is it possible to adjust the Ratio with the dual head? maybe you need more of solution A on the surface then solution B. Slow Chem reactions are normally Temp or strength related. too cold or weak = slow reaction time hot or strong = fast reaction (sometimes a boom! too).

Try tweaking the ratio or if that's not possible recoat the area maybe the twin head is not mixing properly?

CBB

(going back into the shadows to continue larking)

25. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi!
    Yes i think that dual sprayer is bad, but when i set up solution A more, than it start to make yellow foam. If B is to much than white dust :(

26. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I would not dare to silver in anything below 75. it just wont work

27. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Silvering chemicals is just much better with the sprayers.. the ones designed for dual headed spray guns act different..

28. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

while eastwood "Liquid" chrome may not be a good alternative to "Real" chrome as the "Spray" on chrome systems. one cant not say the same about Real quality Spray on chrome... when done properly it can be use as alternative for sertain pieces..

the correct process for "Chrome Paint" and "Spray On Chrome" are about the same. everything is on the "Prep" the glossy basecoat needs to be as perfect as glass, if not then forget about it. it just wont work right...

today I used the little bit of Innate Chrome paint I had left(Very little) on a red bike helmet so I didnt do the prep myself, it was done by the factory(they do it better than me). all I did was set the gun and spray away..

pics

this is package I got last year
    [​IMG]

today´s empty bottle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the Helmet.(I did the side, then with little left and some lacquer thiner I did the rest of the helmet which didnt cover all)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videos

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MjUAi63V_98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pevnOq5R8Ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

while is true that I may be concidered a "Pro" on Chrome paint and chrome like coatings, you too can also achieve these type of results, if you follow the guidelines on how to do it. and practice and practice.

29. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi Nicamarvin!
    This stuff looks good, but silvering is much better i think! How hard is it paint?

30. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hmm, almost all companies that sell chemicals, sell them for dual spray gun! I got chemicals from three sellers and everyone say that u must use it with dual spray gun! Sprayers is good alternative and I dont think that is two kind of chemicals- 1. for dual spray gun 2. for hand sprayers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.