Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

this can be fixed, and if they still have the yellow hue to them, you can always tint the clear coat and get colored chrome, red chrome carb would be awesome on a red car, or gold chrome carb will look cool on a yellow or black car...

that sounds like a good plan, BulldogC said cosmichrome sells their clear coat separately, I asked him on whats the price of the quart of tinted clear and I have not hear back from him as of yet, but if its less expencive than Alsa, one could use that clear to solve many yellowing issues one could have if the pieces are exposed to alot of sunlight, but as of yet a good business plan is use angelgilding chemicals, and Alsa tinted chrome clear coat

2. midwestford

midwestford
    from Michigan

one simple plating system. I like it.

3. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

If you're serious about finding a shop in California, I would recommend Sacramento Chrome and Paint.Ed has been building a successful business doing spray on chrome.He is a Cosmichrome user as well.If I can help you out with it let me know.I do work for people all over the country.

4. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

5. ramtough_63

ramtough_63
    from Clay, KY

100_5831.jpg
    painting embems on using the spray on chrome does really nice I used stencils but seemed to work pretty well
    The Tank emblems came out better

Looking forward to doing some classic car parts
    hopefully the guy will have his 56 tail light bezzels ready tomorrow

6. Agdetail

Agdetail
    from Bc

For the alsa fx chrome

If you had a black car polished already, could you skip the base and clear and go straight to chroming or would you have to sand the car Down and use there base before chroming?

7. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

you can chrome ontop of the polished clear, you just need to make shure you have a clean surface, free of any finger prints or oil

8. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

I would never try to spray the silver directly over another paint system. I just don't think it's a good idea for the sake of adhesion and overall finish quality.The silver has to be able to bond to the base coat and the top coat has to be able to cross link and bond with the silver and be compatible with the base coat.
    I generally lean against going over other materials. If you are talking about spraying the base coat over the existing paint you might be able to get by with it but you don't really know about compatibility and adhesion. Not to mention the fact that you have no idea what is actually under that paint. If you spend the time and money to do a spray chrome finish, I think it's worth the extra time to get back into primer to make sure you know what you're working with.
    That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  9. HyePo66

HyePo66
    from Visalia Ca

BulldogCC: I called Ed, and he is willing to give it a look-see. reall nice guy on phone. about 3 hours away is the down side... but hey, that's what UPS if for. Thanks for the referral.

Nicammarvin, Going to order the chemicals from Angle Gilding and will probably get the clear from Alsa... I just gotta try this b/4 I send my part off to be done professionally. I really think I can do this.

But before I order their clear coat... what 2k are you using and what tint. I can have the auto paint shop make up a tinted batch of clear if I knew what to tell them in their terms they understand... so if you could, give me the paint guy recipe to pass along to them (if you are still using your own mixture).

And btw, how much d they pay Grenade Inspectors these days....?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  10. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

its quite the learning curve... so watch all of my videos, read all of my post and you will be a few steps ahead of what I was long ago..(no DIY tutorials to speak of)

for a realistic chrome look from now on I will be using Alsa chrome tinted clear... my own mix is just not on par with them(look good on the shade, but not as good on sun light)... here are a few videos you may find helpful ...

my own violet tinted clear(used magenta and blue mixed with the clear, all from sherwin W)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N4ML136PUBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GiK3Mbyug2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

finished product..
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JJHwleFpQL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alsa already tinted clear...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y0YP1zcShew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think my own tinted clear is not as good is because I dont use kandy dies or any dies, what I use instead is single stage color pain, thats all, and thats why they may not be as good, but thats all I have, I dont have access to the dies, and not all colors are ttranslucent colors. I will be ordering some kandy dies also when I bring more chemicals and the Alsa clear...

11. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I´m doing 45 grille guards for these babies for my country´s public transportation buses..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with this money I´ll buy more chemicals and give Spray On Chrome some more oxygen and time to grow on people down here...

12. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

good for you marvin!

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats a great contract to do all the bus grill s marvin , do a nice job its all like rolling billboards for your work driving around , ive learned a bit from your videos , and its been an informative thread

14. chihiro

chihiro

Hey does anyone know any Chinese chrome spray product?
    I'm living in China and really looking for a chrome spray here. I once tried to order killer chrome from Alsa but it seems that these kind of chemicals cannot be shipped in China...
    That would be super helpful if you can give some names.
    Best,

15. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well I always give my best at what I do...... I´ve done 23 so far.. :D

I think the chinese have their own spray on chrome companies, I have seen videos of chinese people doing this.. just contact them..

here is one in Japan..
    http://www.mekki-chrome.com/

16. chihiro

chihiro

nicamarvin,
    Oh great information, thanks.
    Actually the problem is that I don't understand Chinese and it's very hard to search Chinese websites... although I have some Chinese friends who help me to order. But there seems a hope so I will try :) That would be super appreciated if you can give me the URL of the video...
    And I will ask the Japanese company about the shipment to China.
    Many thanks!

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Up_CLJXRyaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. chihiro

chihiro

Actually the video is from Japan, not China...
    But thanks anyway! :)
    Chihiro

19. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Close enough...:eek:

20. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Marvin- congrats on the bus contract. The key to success with this business is repeat business. Working with other businesses/organizations is key. You make them your bread and butter, then any walk in customers you get are your cake. Let us know how it goes.

21. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

thanks for the encouraging words, but I was not the one that secured the contract, you see I work for my dad´s business and he makes bull grill for a living(amongst other things).. here is his webpage(check it out)
    http://crometalespancasan.com/trabajos.html

now what I do is build them and paint them... But I like spray on chrome better...:)

the shop is so big it has many bull grill builders.. here is one of my friends building one of them...
    [​IMG]

22. Garnisoft

Garnisoft
    from Portugal

Hi all Member

i found your website since 2 week ago, and i need to say congratulation to all, specialy to nicamarvin.

i will start my first teste with angelgilding product, i will use maybe Sprayers plant pump for silvering.

i hope some sucess....

i found maybe some nice chineses contact with sme nice solution, Wather tranfer and chrome spray.

http://www.yhcts.com

i hope great news ASAP

tks all for the great job

23. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

hey guys how you all doing? I´m in stand by at the moment on the Spray on Chrome thing.. but I´m still doing some cool stuff,

check the Nicaraguan Made Captain America Shield, it was created using nothing but a cooking Top(aluminum)

this project started with a cooking top(aluminum)
    [​IMG]

built arm braces
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Electric Polished, this is need it before the translucent paint
    [​IMG]

Prep before the Kandy color(just normal paint, just needs to be translucent to some extent)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you can follow me on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/marvin.sevilla

24. scott1220

scott1220

how do you strip the old pitted chrome off before rechromimg? thanks

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

is your question a general question? or do you have a piece in mind? what I do is acid strip chrome, then mechanically remove the nickel plating..

a video of the shield
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DyuAhOAcrI4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

26. minddisturb

minddisturb

some of the guy gave the formula @ page 7, will that stand to heat, example when you chrome your exhaust? thx

27. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

... it will if you allow each process to cure under the heat pipe.. example.... I used a High Temp semi gloss enamel, allowed it to cure for 2 day while driving the bike, then clear coat it with 2k Urethane from Sherewin W. allow it to fully cure again driving the bike for 2 days, then Spray on chrome allow to dry for 1 hour then clear coat..it wont work if you do it all at the same time

28. minddisturb

minddisturb

ouwh oke, with any high temp enamel product? well i don't really have a knowledge with this enamel, i google and i find acrylic semi-gloss enamel exterior finishing. is that for a house? did you used that kind of product?

well i understand the process now marvin :D thank you.

29. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

house paint? oh no... I mean high quality high temp exaust paint

30. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi for everyone!

I read this topic long long time! I buy from some seller chemicals, but, there was error- activator was totally dead, and this was reason to make my own formula! I learn lot of literature about silvering and all chemicals!
    I get all chemicals and made my own chemicals formula with chemicals what i can get from my friends! For now i dont need to buy them, only wetting agent!
    To get to my chemicals work right was hard job, I spent one week for it, but results is good!

There is images!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How u see all cans was yellow tone, some more some less, but bulb is perfect! Why that?

Cans is not perfect, i just paint them with acrylic 2k paint, no ground color! It is for test!

Maybe someone have answer about yellow tone? Is this activator fault? Maybe i make it to strong or to weak?

Thanks

p.s sorry about so big images, im to lazy to re size them :D:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.