Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

So whats the "3 B" option, bueno, bonito, barato?????

2. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

for chrome look alikes? nothing beats a well done DIY spray on chrome kit

3. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

updates..

black base coat
    [​IMG]

Clear coat

[​IMG]

4. fulltimeforester

fulltimeforester
    from california

One of those must be what the McLaren F1 team uses

5. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Hey there Mad Scientis from down south
    I haven't checked in for quite awhile. Just scanned through this thread over lunch.Looks like you've been busy my friend.I will be checking out your findings later today.But from your pictures it looks like things are going well.

6. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

thanks buddy... I always keep an eye for new videos of your work on youtube... my angel gilding sensitizer(or stanous chloride) is going bad on me, and the pieces I´m doing right now are not coming out as I wish, but these las pieces are not for sale, they are from the shop´s dirt bike, they are ok for it as in the shadow they look good, once on open sun they dont look as good as I want them to be..

I´ll post a video of a bottle of sensitizer that went bad on me a few months ago(yeah the sensitizer from angel gilding is the weak link here) so anybody can see how a bad sensitizer looks like...

7. I can see all sorts of overkill taking place. Subscribed...

8. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

yeah... I´ll be going overkill with this bike while the sensitizer goes bad on me, I cant provide this service no longer with this bad sensitizer and I have not ordered any more chemicals yet, I dont know how long is going to take me to do so...

so enjoy while it last..

here some updates

[​IMG]

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

video updates...

kee in mind that the sensizer is going bad on me(hardly noticeable without clear coat)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UNrMAhjVcO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AmG5J1Aie-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

here you can see how I apply the violet(deep blue) tinted clear, you can see how the piece turns from yellowish tone to a more chrome like tone..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GiK3Mbyug2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

more updates...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C77FnsRHfhs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/El8Zm3e_uZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

these will be some of my last pieces guys... enjoy

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Real chrome on real car parts, not bikes and other bullshit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This thread sucks.

12. willymakeit

willymakeit

Other than expected damage [rock chips ect.] Does this product hold its gloss decently?
    I have a grille I would like to do on a 56F100, and this has a muted look that I like.
    Im not expecting it to replace chrome.
    I also didnt read all 18 pages of posts also. Thanks for feedback in advance.

13. willymakeit

willymakeit

Dont close this thread as this has info we will all need in the future.
    For the ones wanting only real chrome I have a few parts you can pay for.

14. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well my first pieces were from a Dirt bike that sees road/off road action and the shine was as good as the first day I made them, that was untill a recent mishap the bike had... so I had to re do them again, I expect them to shine for many years with regular maintenance, and after the clear has seen some abuse, you can always wet sand and re clear...

here is one of my first piece I did on march..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DZVcX9m26gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the pieces done again(with a sensitizer going bad on me)

[​IMG]

I know these are bike parts, but this "How To" can be apply to any part you wish to do this process with, with this thread you can get the knowledge and apply it to whatever you want to, and its real cheap..

I dont know when will I be able to get more chemicals, but I will always be here to help out, just ask and I will answer

15. hawaiiboy

hawaiiboy
    from Hawaii

Hey Everyone,

I have been following this thread for awhile and really think its great. I have an Alsa Chrome FX system that I bought about a year ago and never used it because the chemicals were way to expensive to get shipped to Hawaii. After reading this thread and learning about Angle Guilding I decided to try there chemicals in my machine. It works fine except I am having yellowing when I spray the silver. Somtimes it comes out great yet other times it seems almost gold like. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

16. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

that´s the nature of the angel gilding chemicals, they are not meant to be used as spray on chrome and their quality is not on par with them(I have test them both) but I find the Fx price too much to compensate for its superior quality..., what I do is always rinse many times while I am silvering

this is how I do it..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-PKJsZX1Lt4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

do you use the wetting agent too? if you dont, then your are in trouble

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

updates on the Dirt Bike, the bike´s rider wanted more orange, I wanted more gold...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uqorUzNFRbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. hawaiiboy

hawaiiboy
    from Hawaii

Thanks for the advise. I will try that the next time I spray. I will let you know how it goes.

19. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

that reall chrome sure looks nice,,,,but down under in Australia i am not allowed to chrome my 64 jag rear end in my model t,due to hydrogen embrittlement,,it WILL weaken my suspension parts and my kids will ride with me in my car a risk im not willing to take ,,i like many others on this site are very interested in nicmarvins amazing results with this system,,,,are you lead wiping and file finishing the ride that chrome belongs too? i doubt it,,im sure itll have a little bondo or 2k paint etc etc(surely not available back in the day) and im sure itll look a million dollars,,if you have nothing constructive to say why not choose another post and ignore this one,,,
    some of us could find a miriad of uses for this system,,,but some of us are also able to look outside the square to find an answer to our questions.....Well done Nic.....subscribed

20. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

21. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

22. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

i hear ya but your average chrome plater can not correctly de embrittle any part,,,i work in aviation and it is the norm for us to have plating done but all metalurgy reports must be produced ,exact material specifications need to be known to correctly calculate the de embrittlement times etc etc ,,,the cost is prohibitive ,and believe me an average chrome shop can make it shiny,,,,but it weakens it every time,,its simply not safe....a jag raer is built like a tank and under a lightweight rod body im sure it would handle it easily,,but i agree with our regs here ,,,its a science jewellery type car platers dont have the time nor expertise for,,,,hydraulic hard chromers understand it a whole lot but it doesnt have the show type shine

23. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

being able to buy springs and suspension components that are chrome plated doesnt make them safe,you cannot use them over here as our safety standards for hotrod construction are a lot more stringent than the usa,,,,,would you buy a cast buggy axle or a forged one,,,,,they are made forged for a reason,,,,,your ass is dependant on it,,,,,,real chrome is great,,,,but theres plenty of guys here that have OT cars from the 60s etc that rely on fake chrome for interior fittings ,dashboards etc etc ,,,,,the world isnt flat ,,there are new ideas out there everyday,,,,i didnt think it was fair to say this thread sucks...its very helpful,,,plus this guys taken the time to teach us all and help us avoid all the pitfalls of trying this method he should be commended...plus are you both saying that if i chrome something ill never have to clean or polish it again,,it will last forever and never pit,never flake or ever go rusty or dull again,,,,this paint system is just another option for car guys,,,,,

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Nicmarvin never posts on anything but his own post, he has no interest in what the HAMB is about, this post has its uses I suppose, but it's better suited for a spray on chrome forum. His 'chroming' of the pot metal metal pieces is a perfect example of the emperor being naked, how long will those pieces last? How long do you suppose this process will last on your coil springs?

I love your Holden ute BTW, I wish GM still sold El Caminos in the USA.

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

sadly the closest thing I have got to a Hot Rod is a 1979 Trans Am with an 455 c.i Olds, and that was 12 years ago, I wish I had more things to share with you guys, I wish I had a Hot Rod, but I dont

26. Terry O

Terry O

To each there own but to my eye all this does is makes real steel look like the chrome plastic pieces in the '60's AMT models.

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The solution for those of you who don't agree with the relevance of this thread is: DON"T FUCKING READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dave

28. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

i couldnt have said it better myself,,,,,i was like Nic for a long time and wished id had a hotrod,,,now i have one and too many projects in storage,,i like this thread and am happy he spent the time to show us an alternative.....its so easy to critisize while your sitting in front of a faceless keyboard,,,this guys put a lot of time and effort into showing us all something new......if your so old school get off the internet ,,,my mom always said nothing nice to say then say nothing,change channels,etc etc etc....:):):)

29. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

keep posting Nica....your work is very interesting!!!!!!

30. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

x50!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.