Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical DIY Shop Tools: Slapping File

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boxcar's 1928, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

My humble attempt in being more of a restorer of vintage tin than a Bondo dispenser.

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Nice video. That method works great. I remember back in the 50's when I went to trade school to learn paint & body repair that we also took leaf springs and made big spoons to work down inside rear quarter panels, doors & such where you could not swing a hammer to use as push tools and tap around from the outside with the hammers.
    This is all becoming a lost art these days. Even the high dollar shops just go straight to filler now or so it seems if you watch this stuff on the TV shows or visit local shops.
    Jimmie

3. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Thanks for checking it out... I'm excited to attempt some lead work on my car for the first time as well. I do appreciate these lost arts of fab!

flatford39 and loudbang like this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I still use pieces of leaf spring I made years and years ago for slapping and getting down into seams and pressing and shaping.

I also use the same spring to pry on fenders and door gaps. Work great for tweaked door gaps.

I've had several of the younger body guys ask me "what do you do with that?"

True metal working is sadly soon to be a dead art.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've got a several leaf spring spoons I made back in the 70s, probably the most versatile tool in the box.

Boxcar's 1928 and flatford39 like this.
  6. flatford39

flatford39

I have a number of spoons that I use...never seen a file slapper before. Going to have to make one. Thanks.

Boxcar's 1928 likes this.
  7. indyjps

indyjps

Do the file teeth pull metal the direction you want as you slap, or do the file teeth shrink?
    I see he was using a pulling or pushing motion as he struck the surface.

I have a leaf spring I can make some spoons out of, need to watch out for a wide file.

8. The best thing about using a slap file vs a spoon is the file leaves a visual trail of where you been and where you need to go when raising or flushing low spots

One of the best things I learned at a metal shaping class was how much force to apply holding the dolly. It's very light effort on the hammer,slapper spoon and about 30lbs force on the dolly. I had it half ways backwards using too much hammer amd not enough on the dolly

Boxcar's 1928 likes this.
  9. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

I hear others say it shrinks but its hard for me to see how it could but there's others far more informed that could speak to that better.
    Finding a few old wide files did take some time....but I was happy to reuse some old stuff.

indyjps likes this.
  10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

They work on the same principle that a shrink hammer would work, or a shrink dolly your pulling the metal with in the strike.
    The only thing I would be concerned with is I would like a more aggressive tooth file.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    indyjps and Boxcar's 1928 like this.
  11. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Yesser, I've struggled with the concept of a shrinking hammer and dolly... I've often found skilled body men discount those waffle faced hammers claiming there more snake oil than anything else but who knows....thanks for the info.

12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I use the the hammer for pulling metal in a shrink but that's about it I not sure how others use it, I was shown how to use it by an old body man at my first job in a shop 40 years ago. I had to buy a hammer because he would not loan me his. Mine turned up missing one day about six years ago and I think it was ninety dollars to replace.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I would think the cut of the file would deturman how it was used, it seams you would want to cut to be towards you so you pulled the metal or it would be somewhat awkward.

14. indyjps

indyjps

Thanks for the clarification, the way he was striking looked like it was pulling or pushing.
    I use the hammer face and strike to move the direction Im trying to go. I did say "trying", I was taught by some seriously skilled guys, but that doesnt take the place of years of experience.
    I do want to try spoons, I think on a flat/ open area or a crease they would spread the strike for nice even movement, may keep me out of trouble.