Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical DIY Mig Light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FNG, Jan 20, 2018.

1. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

I've been known to squeeze a nickel so tight I've made the Indian ride the buffalo every now and then so they say, it's more like why buy it when you can make it. Sure many here will agree. I was thinking about trying one of those Mig lights that you see all over the net for sale because I guess it come with the gray hair the eyes aren't as good as they used to be. One night I was searching the net for one of these gizmo's but the prices were ah not bad but more than I wanted to pay and I looked and next to the monitor of my computer was the light mount for a rifle. I have several and couldn't tell you how much this thing cost but knowing my inner cheapskate not a heck of a lot. So I picked up a $5 LED flashlight in Lowes and here ya go Redneck do it yourself mig light. Works very well and now that I can see what I am welding much better I need to improve my welding skills because the I can't see what I'm doing excuse just went out the window. 20180120_152413.jpg

Attached Files:

dan31, Almostdone, bchctybob and 16 others like this.
  2. Sporty45

Sporty45

I like it! I'll have to scrounge around and see what I can find to make a mount :cool:

FNG likes this.
  3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I'll give you about an hour of welding until the flashlight lens is ruined.

deadbeat, seb fontana and curbspeed like this.
  4. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Sorry welded for four hours today all I had to do was wipe it few times

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deadbeat likes this.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Pretty cool. I've seen my sons duck tape 'em to the side of their helmets when needed. Red Green would be be proud.:D

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My eyes would like that. What did you use for a clamp?

7. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Mr.48chev This isn't exactly the same mount but you get the idea its a flashlight mount for a rifle the flashlight was just a $5 cheapy form Lowes figured try it out with the cheap one first. Someone suggest making a slag shield to cover the front?

8. What brand batteries do you buy, think I'll invest in some stock.,of course H F has free flashlights. Kool idea tho.

9. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

The Arc doesn't put out enough light?

10. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a better helmet which negates as much need for a light than I used to need. Now I use a clamp
    on flood light to help out. I had problems with the weld splatter ruining the my cheap Harbor Freight lights when I clamped them on the stinger. Glad that the original poster brought this up again, both us old people and maybe not so old can always use a little more light and a new idea.

deadbeat and FNG like this.
  11. Or velcro one of those headband lights to your welding helmet.

12. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

The helmet lights don't cut it, they light up the area fine but when your welding in a tight space or not the light on the torch directs the light right where your welding, it may not sound like a big deal but just a little more light on the welding area makes a world of difference sometimes. Sure those new fancy welding helmets with all the latest technology are cool but for $300 vs $5 this works just fine for my needs.

deadbeat likes this.
  13. williebill

williebill

I think it's a great post, can't have too much light.
    I'm 65, had cataract surgery when I was still in my 30s, and always need more light. I've posted before that I've had the best results welding outside on my outside bench. It can be dang close to sundown, and I can still see to weld much better outside than with extra lights in the garage. I know that's not always practical, especially in the winter, but if you have trouble seeing to weld, try it, you might be surprised.

bchctybob, alanp561 and Atwater Mike like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I guess I better try this out!
    I've had a right eye that for years has mostly only been good for plugging the hole.
    Have never had what I would call good welding vision since I taught myself to weld (mig) in the late 80's. Tried many lenses, even those gold ones, magnifiers, etc, nothing works.
    I'm 63 and also had cataract surgery in both eyes a couple years ago, I have progressive bifocals also, nothing seems to have helped much for welding.
    Tired of grinding welds to make them look presentable.
    I asked this before but does anybody else here wear glasses that darken in sunlight?
    Also, do you think they activate from the weld arc and increase the welding lense value?

15. evintho

evintho

Pick up the free LED flashlight from Harbor Freight using the coupon. It's in virtually every car magazine. Use it until it's completely covered by welding slag then swap in another. I pick one up every time I go to HF. Have about 7 of 'em. I put one in the glovebox of each car I own and I've got a couple extras.

[​IMG]

bchctybob and pat59 like this.
  16. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I have "Transitions" glasses and they work fine... I do not think the arc activates them but I could be wrong.... The biggest thing that helps me is leave my bifocals on the shelf and use single vision glasses for welding, (think reading glasses)... The seam on the bifocals is always in the wrong spot....
    My welding glasses are prescription safety glasses, but drug store readers work well too.....

LynnW

deadbeat, gnichols and deucemac like this.
  17. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

It's all about seeing the puddle.
    If the lens is dark enough to dim the arc properly, it will be too dark to actually see the molten puddle.
    That's where ambient light comes in - it illuminates the puddle.
    I use an old 500 watt Halogen "dry wall" work light around 12" from the weld.
    Once you can clearly see the puddle, your welding improves dramatically.
    It took me a long time to figure out ambient light was the solution.
    20230220_125117.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    bchctybob and 46international like this.
  18. NoelC

NoelC

I used to think so...but in reality it's not the puddle you need to watch as much the crack you need to find and follow.

joel, Fortunateson, LWEL9226 and 6 others like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it! I'd wipe the lens with a little splatter sauce to make clean up easier and make it last a bit longer. I bought a pair of welding gloves that had LED lights on the pointer fingers, made it one project.

bchctybob and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I kinda did this welding in my 39 trunk. Had a big enuff elastic band and I don't know where I got it but the sucker is really brite. Good for about 2hrs useful light, then dims to "hey you left it on" status.

bchctybob, deadbeat and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am wiring my 41 PU and it was time to distort my 6'2, 250-pound body to fit underneath the dash so I could wire the AC switches. I wear a rechargeable headlight with several LEDs for such projects. I reached up and turned on the lights only to have 2 seconds of brightness before it failed. I had forgotten to plug it in!

After a Houdini like escape from the cab I am now inside on the HAMB waiting for the charge cycle to complete. Feeling has returned to my lower extremities for which I am thankful.

22. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@Bandit Billy, I thought I was the only one that got the 240-lb. 'miseries'!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

LOL I'm 290# and 5' 9 and 70 - a "winning" trifecta

Bandit Billy likes this.
  25. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

For those digging up a 5 year old thread hahaha!

Just buy this......
    upload_2023-2-21_8-59-45.png

26. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Why don't you be constructive and explain what we are doing wrong and what we should do?

mitch 36 likes this.
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I’m not a welder. But I can’t help but wonder why the manufacturers of welders haven’t provided a light for just this use from day one.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have. But the OP's was free. :cool:
    upload_2023-2-20_13-54-41.png

bchctybob and gnichols like this.
  29. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

This Steck outfit has the unit everyone is talking about and everyone sells (and a number of reviews are critical). But I just checked and Lincoln has a "high intensity" helmet LED light:

https://store.cyberweld.com/lincoln...8LQs-EhLXVhCW3Lm-HfYoOFPDDjlicdxoC-6wQAvD_BwE

[​IMG]

30. Solution is to buy a spare BB turn loose of that change in your pocket so that it doesn't fall out when you are inverted under the dash!!

Bandit Billy likes this.