Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical DIY carburetor screens?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bigcheese327, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

1931 Studebaker President Eight Indy.jpg

I'm looking to replicate the carburetor screens on this 1930s Studebaker Indy Car. I figure I could purchase some Speedway bug-dome screen and some double-wire hose clamps and have at it, but I thought I'd see if anyone had experience with this before I reinvent the wheel. Thanks!

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Looks like they just pushed a piece of copper window screen down over the carb and secured it with wire, presumably twisted on the other side...?
    The twisted wire security device was once known as a "Duesenberg Hose Clamp."

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. That is exactly what they did. Easy peezy, used to be the name of the game.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Guess I was overthinking it! Thanks, fellas!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

One thing...test at idle with and without, then on road, and look at plugs...
    My experience shows a surprising change of airflow through a window with and without screen closed, and I have heard tales of radiator bug screens (think Florida!) causing overheating. I would want to be certain flow isn't affected here!
    And on the other hand...look for an old house so you can get real copper screen!

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I certainly am not buying it by the roll!

Copper Screen.jpg

7. LOL my retirement villa is over 100 years old and it doesn't have copper window screen.
    You can still find copper screen if you look around a bit, I may even have some myself. ;)

8. carbking

carbking

Try McMaster-Carr and search on brass screen.

Jon.

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  9. GTS225

GTS225

10. mkat1951

mkat1951
    from Canada

An HVAC fab shop in your area might have some. We use all kinds of screen like that for different things and most places would probably be happy to give away a small amount

Bigcheese327 likes this.