Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Divco wheels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by markjaramillo, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Motmo

Motmo

IMG_0166.JPG

What's the diameter of your center cap, the outside one? I have a set of what I believe to be old air wheels and I'm looking for a set of center caps but can't find anything that fits. They have a center diameter of about 7 3/8.

IMG_0154.JPG

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

They were 250 per pair that have gone up a bit not much 300 per pair

3. From their website:

Milk Truck Wheels

Originally used by Hot Rodders in the 1940's as a performance upgrade, today these wheels are heavy, rare, and VERY expensive. Our aluminum re-creations are a lightweight, modern alternative for something traditional but different.

• One-piece, Centrifugally Cast
    • DOT approved
    • 10 Pounds lighter than the original “milk truck” wheels
    • 18" x 4.5" and 18" x 5.5" for the perfect “big and little” look
    • Early Ford 5 on 5.5 lug pattern
      - we also offer 6 on 5.5, 5 on 4.5 and Duals
    • Black Finish
    • Accepts early Ford style hubcaps -
      1940-1948 (8-1/8" dia)
      Note:
      Prefit all wheels before doing anything else.
      Pre-check bolt pattern and wheel center bore
    Specifications:
    18x5.5

• Offset: +20mm
    • Centerbore: 3.450”
    • Backbore (Back Side Setting): 78.74mm
    • Max. Tire Dia.: 33”
    • Finish: Raven Black
    18x4.5
    • Offset: -17.5mm
    • Centerbore: 3.450”
    • Backbore (Back Side Setting): 78.74mm
    • Max. Tire Dia.: 33”
    • Finish: Raven Black
    A Set of 2 for $300!
    *plus shipping
    California sales tax applies
    to all in-state sales

4. I am buying a set in January when I'm in LA.

Outback, Stovebolt and markjaramillo like this.
  5. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

When did they raise the price ?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Between December 11th, and December 19th.

7. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

Man I want a set for my A coupe!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Randysbelvedere

Randysbelvedere
    from Toronto

I bought a pair last week as an Xmas gift to myself. Do yourself a favour and communicate by phone. It’s taken all week to get a tracking number from them via email. They took my money pretty quick though...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

markjaramillo likes this.
  9. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I saw the thread on the 15th or 16th and they were back at $300/pair. Lame. I've been planning on ordering a pair all week but haven't had the time...

3blap.

10. Just ordered a set. Now for the rubber.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  11. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Hey thanks 3blapcam and gimpyshotrods for the price increase information. I checked Coker for tires and the 7.00*18 Firestones are recommended for a 3.75-4.00 inch rim so if you buy the 5.5" wide rears what are you planning on running for tires ?

12. ScorpionR likes this.
  13. 3blapcam

3blapcam

These:

https://www.cokertire.com/800-18-firestone-indy-roadster-racing-tire.html

[​IMG]
    It does recommend a slightly wider rim, but I'm sure it'll be fine!

3blap.

neverdun likes this.
  14. 3blapcam

3blapcam

That first link no workie... and second link has $300/pair. I think they're $300/pair now... which I think is still a good price, I just wanted to save an additional $50!!! Maybe I can sweet talk them on the phone today! We'll see...

3blap.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Even $300/pair seems dirt cheap for such a small run specialty wheel like this, I'd bet the interest has died down somewhat and they're just clearing out remaining inventory. This thread might have made enough buzz to get the price changed or taken off the website, if that's true, there's probably only a handfull of these wheels left.

Considering the weight savings and the limited production run I'm still betting on these being a future collectible and a decent investment.

16. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

When I talked with them a few weeks ago they mentioned they were not selling and they ran a black Friday special. Even with that they weren't selling and since then they had a up tick in sales. At one time they were almost $400 per wheel, I think they are clearing out inventory and will only make more if they get enough orders in the future.

17. banjorear

banjorear

I'm on the fence too. I know it's a good deal, but the extra $50 would have helped with shipping.

18. banjorear

banjorear

Let us know if you can work that deal. I was thinking of doing the same. I don't need them now, just want them incase.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Surprising they undertook such an operation. SCTA would seem to be the major purveyor of these, although the guys have gone 'ape' over the steel ones that were stamped in L.A. back in the '80s.
    Those were a 'well-guarded secret', seemed odd to me. $$ spent on setup, mfg., and no distribution?

These aluminum Americans are a bargain at $300 a pair. Rare already. Or by Christmas...now that the HAMB trumpet has sounded.

ls1yj likes this.
  20. banjorear

banjorear

Ugh. Now I'm even more on the fence. Shipping on the E brake site is listed at $45. Go over to pay @ Paypal, it comes up at $65. I'll admit that I'm friggin' cheap, but that irks me.

Small potatoes I know, I'm just a chiseler.

21. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Well, I ordered my pair. $365 shipped to Austin. I called them and the guy that answered the phone doesn't do sales, but can pass you onto a lady who does... but it seemed like they don't really like doing phone sales so I just went to the estopp website and ordered them.

I doubt they'll sell out that quickly, but I did want to secure a set for my project! They are hard to come by and these are straight rust free wheels... you'll never find that in an original at $182.50 per wheel!!!

3blap.

22. banjorear

banjorear

Damn you, 3blap. You are blinding me with logic!!!!

23. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Ha... that's funny! :p

3blap.

24. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Thanks for the information but I must ask if it showed up costing $45 a pair to ship a pair of wheels and you go to pay on PayPal why is it $65 to ship a pair of wheels ?

25. Probably to cover the Paypal fees on the total.

26. 3blapcam

3blapcam

FWIW, he directed me to eBay also as they're listed there too, but they want $75 shipping there... so, I went the estopp route.

27. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Its calculated by your zip code, you have to click on details next to the shipping price on eBay and enter your zip code. I believe the $45 is for west Coast delivery.

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

They probably "had an uptick in sales" because of this thread. As many lurkers as there are reading the HAMB, I'd bet for everyone that posts that they ordered a set, there's a lurker or two also ordering wheels.
    Hopefully, it doesn't see them bump the price.

29. I ordered a set for the front too today. They told me they were swamped with orders over the weekend.....lots of Hambers ordering wheels is my guess. They do have a few sets left that are 5x4.75, chevy pattern.

30. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

I didn't know they had Chevy pattern,I tried ordering over the phone,The girl told me to email her all my info and she would get back to me with the shipping costs,They were leaving early for the Holiday,Still haven't heard from her,Called yesterday nobody picking up the phone?