Register now to get rid of these ads!

Divco sized wheels that look like '40 Ford? Know this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Like the caption says, MARVIN WHITEMAN'S 27T. They've got to be 18 inchers - look at the tires. Anyone know some history on this car and what he used to come up with this wheel? I assume it was just a '40 center mated to a different hoop. I've seen a few companys that make 18 inch steel wheels but they were pretty pricey and would need to be narrowed anyway. Any ideas where someone could scavenge the outer part to do something like this?....and does anyone repop the Firestone Indy tire? I'm planning for next year's project.

Attached Files:

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That might be an adapter ring between the spider and the hoop.

3. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do a Google for steel rim manufacturers. Eliminate the "custom wheel manufacturer" and ask the supplier if they make the hoops that size.

With your new Spuns, what do you want an exposed wheel for anyway?

4. I don't think it is an adaptor ring... it's probably part of the original '40 rim left on to make up the space.
    Sam.

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

I know where I can find some 17 1/2", 3/4 ton truck wheels. I think Coker tire has most of the old Firestone molds.

6. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with Sam on the inside, the outside looks like a reversed truck wheel. That is my theory.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I agree with Samm--'40 wheel cut, then a '32 split into sections...maybe two '32 inner sections per wheel if it needs more width--all cut at the same diameter point and welded. Time to look for a reallydamnbig lathe.
    Last year, my junkyard was trying to get me to take one that looked like a mogul locomotive--it would have required the army corps of engineers to move it, and was undoubtedly heavy enough to collapse my house and drag the remains down to bedrock. I was seriously tempted...

8. jdubbya

jdubbya

Chevy Astro vans have 18" save-a-spares on them, and they are quite narrow. Flatheadpete, here on the HAMB, has them on the back of his bucket, using adapters. I am sure that you could use the outer ring from these. Here is a pic. -Joe

BTW- The front wheels are 16" S-10 spares.

Attached Files:

9. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one of those spares out back. I got it from Rocky and at one time, Tuck had the mate to it.Anyone want it?

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Uhhh...shit Tman. I want it? Now where the hell is Tuck?

11. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lemme grab it. I was going to toss the thing.

12. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Bruce is right, you use a 32 ford wheel and cut them both up to fit right, but you have to use a 4" wide 40 ford wheel with the 90 degrees on both sides of the drop center, you can't use the 40 ford wheels that have one 90 and the other angled. It's alot of work. My buddy has some old ones from a lakes car just like in the picture. I don't know if he wants to sell them or not.

No, noone make a firestone Indy or bonneville repop tire.
    The closest looking is the coker firestone street tire. You could always shave it down a little.

13. Iwonder if a guy can tack on three bums to those safety spares to hold anearly Ford cap? [​IMG]

14. Jbub! Can you get a closer pic of the the rims on that bucket? I would like to explore that option a lil bit more. Thanks

15. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK Grim, the wheel is safe. I will ship it by bus unless I make it down there in the next few weeks? If I do, you can stripe the tub [​IMG]

16. Justin B

Justin B

grim i have been thinking of going with 18's on the back of my project too. there is a couple companies that do or can make narrow 18 inch wheels one is P.S. enginering here in socal, they make aluminum wheels that look real similar to old halibrand kidney beans. they are not real expensive either compared to most of the other big name aluminum wheel companies. if you want steel wheels look at the newer dodge trucks spares, i think they are 18's maybe 17's not 100% sure, my uncle got a new dodge for work and i remember the spare was pretty decent looking. i was going to look into it more but haven't yet. also dodge has the same bolt pattern as early ford so you won't need an adapter.
    for tires do a search for VINTAGE TYRE DUNLOP. dunlop makes a couple of different 18 inch indy/dirt track/bonneville style tires they are really god looking tires especialy the R1 tread design. only problem is they aren't avaliable in the U.S. so you have to get them shipped from europe and they aren't cheap either.
    anyways hope this is helpfull if i hit the lottery i'll be runnin the P.S. wheels with dunlop R1's till then i'm gonna stick with 16's

17. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And if you need Grim, I have a flathead/banger guru here that has a lathe that can swing 2 feet. He does wheel stuff for me. Steelies would be easy to mate.

18. jdubbya

jdubbya

That is the best pic that I have of Pete's car. Try giving him a PM, he goes by flatheadpete here on the HAMB. -Joe

19. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    do a search for VINTAGE TYRE DUNLOP. dunlop makes a couple of different 18 inch indy/dirt track/bonneville style tires they are really god looking tires especialy the R1 tread design. only problem is they aren't avaliable in the U.S. so you have to get them shipped from europe and they aren't cheap either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can get any Vintage Dunlop Racing Tire you want Through companies like Roger Kraus Racing In California.
    About $350 per Tire, depending on size.
    Isn't Coker is doing Vintage Road Race Tires Too now?
    Then there are the Blockley Tires ( they kind of look like a old Engelbert Racing Tire) and they come in 16, 18, 19 and 21" sizes and have a DOT rating as well as being a Racing tire.

20. KCsledz

KCsledz

[ QUOTE ]
    OK Grim, the wheel is safe. I will ship it by bus unless I make it down there in the next few weeks? If I do, you can stripe the tub [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey tman if your coming out let me know. I would love to see the tub! I have looked at your build up and paint pics quite a few times.

What ever happened to those hamb and hog posters?

Cody

21. Hmmmmm.....I'm gonna have 4.75" bolt pattern on the front of my 41 Pontiac with the 5" bolt pattern on the back... Flathead pete's combination on his T would bolt on my old black coupe. I think I'll start looking around our local wrecking yards for some-o-those..
    BTW, they look like they may take an Aerostar type center hubcap if ya buy the Ranger/Aerostar center hubcap clip plate. It just bolts to the wheel center with 3 small screws and you snap your little no-name Aerostar caps onto the plate.

22. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Grim, Does that SPUN outfit make a disc for an 18". Seems like a waste if ya couldn't run them things.
    [​IMG]

23. Rand Man

Rand Man

The vintage-racing Coker tires I've seen on the internet say for display purposes only. I'll bet it is a DOT certification thing.

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ben - No discs for 18 inch wheels yet. But this stuff is for a long term project so who knows what I'll be producing by that time. It's stupid - with all I have going on I have no business even thinking about the next car.

Tman - Don't worry about shipping that wheel. I have a feeling my wife would want to kick my ass to the curb if any more car parts show up while trying to sell the house. But get the tub down here anyway and I'll stripe it.

Thanks for the input from THEM & metalshapes. The best thing to do at this point would probably be to shop for the right tires and worry more about wheels later.

25. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll sit on the wheel for now.

KCSledz, I still have a poster for ya, I took em to the drags thinking.......................

26. KCsledz

KCsledz

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll sit on the wheel for now.

KCSledz, I still have a poster for ya, I took em to the drags thinking.......................

[/ QUOTE ]

I should of had ya leave it with porknbeaner or kevin or one of the other guys! I had business out of town that weekend.