Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Distributor replacement for 347 stroker WTF did this dude do!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J:Mac, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Yeah, that's pretty strange... a roller cam block with a flat tappet cam. Now would be a good time to upgrade... LOL. Anyway, you want the iron distributor gear with that cam, so a rebuilt Duraspark from the parts house along with that MSD box and you're good to go.

2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't be too hard on the builder; flat tappets were effectively all there was for most folks and were no trouble when the oil had all the additives. With the smaller ports and valves in the factory iron heads, the flat tappet cams were pretty effective.

3. J:Mac

J:Mac

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433644210.309798.jpg

Steve,
    Just so I fully understand. What drove the final verdict to an iron distributor? Sorry I'm trying to learn so bear with me.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

That may have never had a roller cam,in the mid 80's Ford kept the same block codes through the early 90's mostly 5.0's in trucks were flat tappet up till 1989. Back to your distributor gear check out the picture here: http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all...-length-w-85-dizzy-oil-driveshaft-length.html You can use a steel gear on a flat tappet cam but you cannot use an iron gear on a roller cam,most aftermarket distributors today come with a steel gear like this check out the shaft picture in the text: http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6502BKKIT

5. Don't use a steel gear on a flat tappet; it will eat the gear off the cam....

As to which gear you presently have, it could still be either. While all 302 blocks were cast as 'roller' blocks starting in '86, not every motor was a roller cam. The gear shaft diameter is too big for an earlier distributor in any case.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  6. J:Mac

All,
    Got the manifold back in and it fired right up using the original TFI distributor. This week I'll but an iron gear cam to put in and put this bad boy back on the road.
    While I had the intake off I went ahead and did a little touch up.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433710480.789451.jpg
    Before
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433710511.568201.jpg
    After

7. You might want to ditch that chrome t-stat housing too... those are notorious for leaking.

8. J:Mac

Crazy Steve, Does it matter that the chrom t-stat housing is no longer chrom? Just kidding. Thank you everyone for the feedback and advice on this. Last think I want is to assume something and chew up the engine.
    The whole time, I assumed it was a roller cam. Glad I took your advice Steve and investigated further.

9. J:Mac

Ok last damn question and then I'll quit mooching the knowledge. View attachment 2924060
    This is the Distributor I was looking at getting. I know you are partial to the duraspark distributor....
    My concern here is getting the right shaft length. The one in now looks pretty short.
    Also with this set up, will I still need the msd coil?

10. J:Mac

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

12. Travis T

Travis T

That is true of the block only, not the cam. in 85, only the manual Mustang got roller cams, the automatics were flat tappet. The only Fords that came with roller cams were Mustangs and Capris (all 86-95, regardless of transmission, 85 manual only) and Explorers and Mountaineers. Pedestrian vehicles like my F150 got roller blocks with flat tappet cams.

13. Mac, while I like MSD ignition boxes, I haven't heard universally good things about their distributors. A lot of them are made in China, and you'll need MSD caps and rotors when replacement time comes. The Ford Duraspark distributor can use the early '57-73 Ford caps/rotors if you remove that 'adaptor', you can buy these anywhere... Plus it looks 'traditional'... LOL.

And Ford installed roller motors in more than just the Mustang and SUVs; they were used in pretty much all V-8 CARS as Ford was chasing the CAFE average. I've seen them in T-birds, Crown Vics, Mercury Marquis, and Lincolns. The trucks didn't fall under CAFE standards, Ford didn't need the slight increase in mileage so those got flat tappet cams.

14. Travis T

Travis T

I forgot about the Mark VIIs and I had one and it was just a Mustang HO. I hadn't seen anything else with a roller, but other thank truck engines I haven't dealt with many non HO engines I guess. Interesting.