Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Distributor help Iron duke

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29AV8, Sep 27, 2017.

1. 29AV8

29AV8

Looking for a shop that can convert the computor controlled dizzy from a 2.5 chevy to a points or electronic unit. I dropped it off to a shop over a month ago with a deposit and cant get a hold of him and he wont return my calls loosing faith in him. help.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Why can't you just pop in a 75-80 Iron Duke HEI "dizzy" ?
    (BTW, the Iron Duke is a Pontiac engine)
    (losing)

LOU WELLS and garyf like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Even the Camaro 4cyl in the early 80's? Always assumed it was made/produced from Chevrolet.

Edit:

Never mind, Wiki says so too

But then there is this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_153_4-cylinder_engine

4. Yes ,there is, and it's a completely different engine. It's basically a 230 inline ,with two cylinders missing.
    Might have the same bore spacing as the Pontiac, but that's about all.
    To further confuse some of you , Chevrolet did make 215 inline for Pontiac Tempests, in 64-65. It's just a small bore 230.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatza dizzie? Is it something like a nil or a spot on?

tractorguy likes this.
  6. tractorguy

tractorguy

Thanks Jimmy Six......what's a dizzy ? If you don't have the ability, attention to detail or the discipline to post a message and actually spell distributor, what is the probability that you have the ability, attention to detail or discipline to correctly diagonosis your problem and come up with a viable solution ?
    There are several generations of the OHV 4cyl. GM engine used in Chevrolet Nova's in the 1960's as well as later versions used in Chevrolet Citations, Pontiac Astres etc. in the 1980's. The distributors range from really good old traditional points style in the 1960's to HEI styles in the 1980's.

I've worked on both generations and they are all pretty simple.There are a lot of people on this forum who are also very smart about both generations.

What do you actually have and what do you want to end up with ? Wow......this discussion is almost making me "dizzy" !!

LOU WELLS and sailingadventure like this.
  7. karl share

karl share

some older hyster forklifts ran a points style DIZZY. with a 4 cyl GM eng

sko_ford likes this.
  8. From what we can figure, he's got a PONTIAC engine...I think.
    You can't put a points "dizzy" in it anyway.
    Of course we're just guessing here, once again. :(
    BTW, If it's computer controlled , it's also TBI, so you can't put a vacuum HEI in it anyway.

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

firstinsteele and RoddyB34 like this.
  10. Aussies are excused.
    The o/p is from Indiana..Not excused..Sounds too much like text talk. LOL

RoddyB34 and Truck64 like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No they are not! Now excuse me while I check under the bonnet and I need to start removing my wings....Oh and finish my dry lakes tankER...:p

Hnstray and Truck64 like this.
  12. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Working to a tough crowd tonight,,
    Don't forget to look in the BOOT!!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  13. Damm, you guys are BRUTAL!:mad:

Ben

LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. See if I left my spanner back there while you're at it... :p

15. lake_harley

lake_harley

I hope someone comes along with a solution for converting the distributor to work without a computer. I'm prepping a 2.5 that came out of a '88 S-10 to use in my '31 coupe. It has the smaller distributor that I'm guessing to be computer controlled.

I had plans to use a late '70's 2.5 out of a Chevy Monza that has been under my parts washer for years, but upon teardown it had cracks in both the block and the head. :( I could always use the HEI out of it in the later S-10 engine (if it physically fits), I suppose, but man that HEI is as big as a 5 gallon bucket! I plan to use a carburetor rather than the EFI too since I have a case of severe technical impairment, and figuring out EFI is way out of my knowledge base. Maybe it's not a complicated as I imagine it to be? Perhaps someone could clear the air on both the distributor and EFI and drag me into the 2000's?

Lynn

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    sko_ford likes this.
  16. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Could always "mess with their heads" & make a couple of brackets, use a cogged belt(or chain) with a 2 to 1reduction & use almost any 4cyl distributor(or magneto?) mounted horizontal instead of vertical to fire your engine. LOL!! Outside the box is FUN!!!

Hnstray likes this.
  17. Actually I think it was English first, Dizzy and dynamo were terms I heard from men from the island way back when I was a kid, along with bonnet and windscreen. LOL

As far as if its a Poncho or Chevy it is basically the same motor. It is a GM pushrod 4 cylinder, they came in any number of GM vehicles. Form what I have read although I have not spent toe time to sort it out personally they are the same family as the GM 4 of the '60s. But it is just something I read and I am not speaking from experience here.

18. PnB, Trust me when I say that Chevy 153 and Pontiac 151 are completely different engines. 2ddd.jpg 2ddddd.jpg The second picture is an after market 153 Chevy distributor.I cannot find one for the 151 Pontiac engine. Supposedly , MSD made one at one time.I checked Jegs, Summit, Ebay, Speedway, etc.
    Looks like the o/p is going to have to do his own leg work from here, on out. Speaking of...Has anyone seen him lately?

lake_harley likes this.
  19. lake_harley

lake_harley

Correct! ^^^^^ It seems the two engines are lumped into the same "engine family" when either is being discussed. The difference is about as dramatic as the differences in a typical SBC and a LS small block.

BTW PnB'r...isn't a "dynamo" what we would call a generator?

Lynn

20. It would get deleted!

Ben

21. lake_harley

lake_harley

Too "tech-y"? If that's what you mean it's OK since I'd be more comfortable with a more typical distributor (I'd love an old contact points variety!) and a carburetor anyway.

Lynn

22. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I am the guy whos been working on this project. Problem is its a clockwise rotation unit. I had planned on using a Mallory core from another four cylinder , however everything i have in the building is counterclock wise rotation. I am still looking for a suitable core .
    And hes right i am hard to get on the phone ( my choice) and very very busy. Other wise my email is [email protected] and i answer it quite a few times each day......

firstinsteele likes this.
  23. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I finally found a Vega with mechanical advance and bought it today on ebay. Will tear down and machine for your bottom end. Be a couple more weeks..........Small case , full mechanical and vacuum advance and correct clockwise rotation........

Also will post the step by step build for others that need this distributor........

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    sko_ford and firstinsteele like this.
  24. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Got my Vega distributor from Ebay this morning, compared to the 2.5 Iron Duke unit and took both apart. We will machine and match the Vega upper part to the Iron Duke lower end to drive the oil pump. The iron duke uses a special lower end unit that is spring loaded and drives the oil pump. Some difference in the shaft diameters from both units, but i will let my machine shop dude worry about that.
    Jumped in my old napa buyers giude for the cap, rotor, points (heavy duty echlin) and condensor. Should make a really nice unit. Bought all the parts on ebay , cheap with free shipping. I imagine if i owned a couple nos Echlin caps for a 1972 Vega i would want to sell them as well.......
    Just for discussion , anyone ever owned a Vega ????? I had a 72 Vega GT, red and black with the factory GT wheels etc. Someone had blew up the engine and my friend put a new (junk yard) later good engine in it to make a buck. I bought it (named it Vergil vega) and drove the hell out of it for years!!!! Later sold it to another friend and he drove it to work for many years as well. I think finally the body just fell off in the later years. But Vergil was a good one..[/ATTACH] IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2073.JPG IMG_2074.JPG IMG_2075.JPG

Ignore the odd pics of a early ford unit..............................

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    tractorguy likes this.
  25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Jeesss, once I saw the pictures and saw how easy it was,,, anyone could have done it,,,
    NOT
    Now the OP can get dizzy driving around the block
    Great work Bubba!

26. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Got the Vega back from the machine shop this morning and put it together, reworded the advance with a new set of springs for proper quick curve. Note : This is the same advance used on a six cylinder early cast iron GM, one of the best !!!! cleanes up really nice and works very smooth).
    Vacuum unit was defective and i convinced myself i should use it (would be easy to block off) . I bought all the parts ( HD NAPA stuff) from Ebay and wont get everything until next week. However you can look at the new banger distributor almost ready to run........ IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2082.JPG IMG_2083.JPG IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2085.JPG

Hnstray likes this.
  27. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

As always, very nice work.
    Pete

28. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Got the ebay parts , points , condensor, cap and rotor. ( waiting on vacuum unit) , adjustr dwell (point gap) and ran on tester. Good advance curve and will run all the rpm this engine ever wants. pretty nice unit if i do say so myself.... IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2088.JPG

Truck64 and Hnstray like this.
  29. Or a magneto :D I guess a magneto is a cross between a dynamo and a dizzy. LOL

30. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

AND its done !! Got the final Vega stuff today, nice unit ( will shop ebay for some more). Solid core copper wires, Rajah clips for the spark plugs , extra long coil wire if needed and a Bosch internal resistor 00012 Blue coil. The best of all worlds combined in one package...... IMG_2097.JPG

Attached Files:

tractorguy and OFT like this.