Register now to get rid of these ads!

Distributor B Shakin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Feb 20, 2013.

1. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

My 57 Inline 6..235.. Is almost on the road..Next step is to final tune.. Set the Valve /Rocker Gaps... Ect. My Question of the day though..Why is my Distributor moving back and forth when it is running at an idle...Clock wise..then back.. 16th of an inch or so.. I assume it has something to do with the Vacuum advance..???... Maybe..?? :eek:

2. Diavolo

Diavolo

Sounds like it may look like it's moving back and forth but the screws holding the vac advance are loose and it's just it moving in and out. I personally like the latter to the former, but you got a screw loose.

(I'm sorry, I had to go there, I'm tired:p )

3. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I thought it may be a screw also..but everything is tight...the Vacuum is "plunging in and out" as if im giving it some throttle..but slightly...in and out..causing the Dist. to move..back and forth.. I will be putting a new VA on it..hope it helps..

4. LAROKE

LAROKE

On those distributors, the vacuum advance rotates the entire distributor, not just the internals.

5. DrJ

DrJ

If the idle speed is set too high it might be hunting for an idle, causing the vacuum to change, causing the advance to move etc. in a vicious circle.
    Idle speed should be 425 all hooked up (in drive if automatic.)
    timing should be set by the ball on the flywheel with that vacuum advance disconnected (and plugged at the carb so it isn't leaking vacuum)

6. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Right..and it seems like it is rotating fine when i give it gas...But doing it at idle seems ..Wrong... :confused:

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sorry. I didn't read close enough. It shouldn't be moving at idle and my experience is with manual transmissions with this distributor. Please disregard my uninformative posts.

8. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Great info..Thanks... Its a 3 speed on the tree... I will be setting rocker/valve gaps...and timming this weekend.. I was told not to use that flywheel mark to set them... I should use the spark plug holes/compression.. to find TDC..while tunning... Also, How do you measure the idle speed... I dont have a Tach/RPM...???...:confused:

9. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

... I do have a Manual..3 on the tree....:D

10. LAROKE

LAROKE

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

My buddy Mike had a 261 in his pickup, it moved around like that and it was fully rebuilt. It was weird looking but ran like a top!!!

12. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

TY... This is also a rebuilt.. 10yrs old or so...So I was Told, by the seller..:rolleyes:

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

Hey... at least it fits your hamb name!! :D

14. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Can I just also install a tach... I would think it would be handy to have..If so..Where does it go..Ive never put in an after market Tach...:eek:

15. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Exactly....:cool:

16. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah. Here's a how-to link

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4896953_installing-electric-tachometer.html

You didn't ask but if you ever get the firing order messed up, it is 153624 and the easy way to remember that is fifteen is too young, thirty-six is too old but twenty-four is just right!

17. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa