Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Distributor Advance Limit Bushing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mwhistle, Nov 8, 2013.

1. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

On older Chevrolet single points style distributors (probably other distributors too), there is an advance limit bushing which keeps the timing weights from advancing too far. Has anyone ever installed a new one on their distributor? I think the stock ones are rubber or plastic, but the replacement ones you get from folks like Mr. Gasket are brass. Are they pressed on or held in place by an e-clip? I assume you have to remove the distributor shaft in order to do the replacement. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

3. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

henryj1951 -- Thank you very much for the referral. Apparently, not many folks are aware of this technical issue related to distributors and ignition timing. Again, thank you. .

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Never took the dist apart on any that I ever replaced/changed.

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Guys good discussion , we set up and curve all spark ignition systems and am very glad to help, either on the forum or just give me a call 317-487-9460.

The GM distributor cams are numbered based on the timing slot in the cam , a 524 would use the last two digits "24" and be 24 degrees of spark advance with the rubber bushing.
    We now drill these cams ( on our conversions for the flathead) that allows this number to be adjusted in the engine with a allen wrench.....

6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Your welcome...

:cool:

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've done a few. Take off the cap and rotor and everything is right there. All kinds of advance kits used to be available for these with the advance bushings, weights and springs. Bubba is the guy to contact.

8. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Engine man -- Thank you for your post. I know where everything is in the distributor and how it works. What I don't know is how to install the brass bushing that comes with the Mr. Gasket kit. Do you know how to install the brass bushing?

9. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Making sure the old rubber bushing is off the advance post. ( and the pin is cleaned off)
    I would just put a drop of red loctite inside the bushing and install the bushing on the advance pin. Have done a few like this...

The only issue is testing to se what timing actually is on the engine etc...

One of my customers came up with this for those not owning a degree timing light...

1-remove advance weights and reinstall the springs with no weights. run ening at idle and mark actual timing .
    2-remove springs and install weights and run engine with no springs. Degrees shown on balance would be your maxim timing advance ....:eek:

10. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Bubba -- Thank you kindly for your response. The rubber bushing is off. I'll give the loctite suggestion a try.

As it relates to actual timing, I have a dial back timing light and my damper is degreed (timing tape), so I'm OK in that regard. However, your customer's springs and weights exercise is intriguing. I'm interested in trying that just for my own edification.

Since you did not mention it, I assume the rubber advance limiters are no longer available.

Again, thank you very much. John