Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Distributor 430 Lincoln MEL Interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gageure, Apr 17, 2018.

1. gageure

gageure

Hi Guys,

I have a 1965 Lincoln with a 430 MEL. I am getting ready to buy an MSD distributor, but I wanted to know if anyone as ever converted a Ford FE distributor to work with MEL? Or, maybe a Y-block distributor to MEL gears and body? What needs to be done?

What is the best route?

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

does MSD make a 430 direct fit unit ??????

3. gageure

gageure

Nope. I am trying to figure out how to make one fit! I would like to use the FE distributor or the Y block distributor.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Might be the best route is to keep the point distributor. If you want to run an MSD amplifier, it will work with points, and the points will last a long time (you'll need to keep the rubbing block lubed, but that does not need to be done very often).

5. gageure

gageure

Thanks, Squirrel. I am trying to be able to communicate with the Holley TBI kit that I am planning on using. That is why I wanted to retrofit a MSD distributor to work on the 430 MEL.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fue...i_master_kits_with_fuel_system/parts/550-510K

6. squirrel

squirrel

Oh, a non traditional MEL :)

there are pertronix kits for the MEL, that would get you an electronic pickup relatively easily.

also the MSD box has a tach output that might work fine to feed the EFI.

7. gageure

gageure

You might be right! I will have to check that out. Thank you for the tip.

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

FE and MEL distributors do not interchange, they are significantly different. Mostly the difference is in the clamping pad height, with the MEL being about a 1/2" shorter. Supposedly, the drive gear tooth count is different as well. 15 to 16 teeth.

However, I do believe the shafts are the same, so one could take the shaft and guts from a FE distributor and stuff them into the MEL housing. Would be a fairly simple DuraSpark II conversion. Supposedly, this also works with Lima 385 (429, 460) Series distributors as well.

From the MEL forums: Left is FE, Right is MEL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    fordman1 likes this.
  9. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Call and ask holley what it takes to make your EFI work

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Like Squirrel says. Make it easy, Bones

11. gageure

gageure

Thanks, FrozenMerc. I appreciate the photo. I am trying to get the drawings from the Ford Archives to fabricate a hybrid distributor that will fit into the MEL, but have the guts from the FE. I will let everyone know if I am successful. If I fail, I probably won't post my failure. :)

12. gageure

gageure

I did. They are telling me that there is one certain distributor that is controlled by the control module of the EFI. The EFI controller controls the timing and receives feedback from the distributor. That is part of how the EFI teaches itself the driving patterns. However, the distributor is only available in Ford windsor version, FE version and Chevy version...........

13. gageure

gageure

Wish that I could! I am determined to make this work with the correct distributor.

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Not sure of the make, but they make several electronic kits that will fit in your MEL distributor, it just replaces the points. Some are “ universal” ,even fit tractors.You could keep your original distributor. It will then trigger your box. May be even able to convert Duraspark guts into your MEL. Bones

15. squirrel

squirrel

I bet there are other ways to do it. For example, you can trigger a 4 pin HEI module with points, do you think you might be able to trigger a 7 pin HEI module with points, also? using the R and E pins to reference and control timing :) just thinking outside the box.

fauj likes this.
  16. trpltongue

trpltongue

I'm going through the same thing with my brother's 65 lincoln. His vehicle has the Pertronix magnetic pickup installed with a Pertronix coil. In reading the Holley Sniper instructions, all you need in order to control timing with this setup is to install an adjustable rotor and to connect the coil (-) to the sniper system.
    I was under the impression that MSD makes an adjustable rotor that will fit the MEL distributor, is that not the case?

17. Husky35

Husky35

This is an old thread, but I have a custom MSD distributor for my MEL 430 that MSD made for me. Only 2 that I know of. May be interested in selling. Haven't used it and looking at selling the project. I would separate it from the rebuilt 430 and put the stock back on if I can find a new gear. [email protected]

18. fordman1

fordman1

Glad I found this as my stock distributor is frozen in my block which will cause future me problems. I was hoping it was as easy as the internet made it seem that a FE one would drop right into its place. For now I hope to get it out and use the Petronix kit that I already bought.

19. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Use some knocker loose ie. Kroil, blaster Some heat and but the snap on distributor knocker tool etc Take it easy they really get stuck

fordman1 and Desoto291Hemi like this.