Register now to get rid of these ads!

distributer and spark plugs for a banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jville_hot_skater, Jun 26, 2009.

1. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

im really not feeling this, (safety wise) with the bare brass wires being so close to the gas tank.

where do they sell the updated sparkplug wires for my 31' ford 4 banger engine? the ones with the rubber covering? should i update my distributer to? any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. As long as the fuel tank doesnt have a nasty leak I wouldnt worry about it. Personally I've never heard of model A's catching on fire from the plug wires.

3. Ford got it right. It's safe, just drive it and don't worry. There is no way a spark could arc all the way to the gas tank. It will always take the path of least resistance, which is the spark plug

4. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

Run them . Had 'em on my banger till I got a Mallory. Like Jalopy Kid, I never heard of a fire from using them...

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The straps will not produce any sparks out in the world there unless you put something they can ground to right by them...a circumstance that can quickly cause burn-through and visible spark with modern insulated wire.
    As JK noted, you obviously don't want leaking gas on an A or anything else. There are plenty of warm things in there...but that has nothing to do with Model A that is specific to the car either. All modern cars also have gas lines, carb or injection, etc. too...and their problems will brew up faster than on an A because their leaks are pressurized.

6. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

7. Someone told me, years ago, that a Willys cap and rotor will fit an "A" and convert it to more modern wires. Could be BS, I dunno. I had one on one of my "A"s and an old timer told me that's what is was.