Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Distance between shock mounting tabs of 4-link

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fairlaniac, Jan 31, 2017.

1. fairlaniac

fairlaniac
    from Denver, PA

I have three different sets of used coil over shocks for reference. the mounting eye on two of them is 1-1/4" wide, another is 1-1/2" wide. I know I can use spacers in the end so what is a good width apart to weld my tabs? This is not the center to center dimension of shocks but the tabs of one shock. I don't want to get further down the road in my project to realize I went to narrow. I have not purchased the new coil overs and won't for a while yet.

Thanks,

2. alchemy

alchemy

The common coilover on hot rod rearends is not mounted in double shear. Just a bolt through the coilover, then through the longer tube of the axle or crossmember mount.

3. fairlaniac

fairlaniac
    from Denver, PA

I plan to mount my shocks the very common way a lot of 4 link installers use and that is with the parallel tabs (see picture). The tidbit of information I'm looking for is how far apart? Shown is a shock with 1-1/4" distance outside to outside of the bushing. I think I'll just go with that as I have a pair of QA1 coil overs that also share the 1-1/4" mount width.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

4. alchemy

alchemy

Personally I'd do the 1.5" and use washers to take up the space if there was extra. Might be nice in case things don't line up perfectly later as well, and you need to fudge it one direction or the other.