Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods disposable gloves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RmK57, Dec 29, 2019.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

learning to wear them. my son never forgets. i will say my hands stay a lot cleaner.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've been wearing the HF black gloves for several years when painting and cleaning paint guns. Probably like porknbeaner said too late but can't hurt. I remember shooting enamel and lacquer with no protection and having colored snot and spit afterward, washed my hands with lacquer thinner while I was cleaning the paint gun. I also use mechanics gloves when doing heavy work like suspension rebuilds, cuts down on the blood loss.

47ragtop likes this.
  3. I wear a full-body condom and a HAZMAT suit over that. :eek:
    Okay, you caught me. I'm kidding. :rolleyes: ......... I just wear the full-body condom.
    Now I could ramble with the best of 'em, about what the acid fumes from work did to my lungs and all the other chemical attacks on my body in the good ol', bad ol' days. But I'll spare you.
    I hardly work on cars like before so I don't keep the thinner style gloves around (I may get a box for "just in case" situations, though) but I always have a number of pairs of "barbeque gloves" that I use for dirty work. They are formed canvas, dipped in a rubber coating thick enough to hold their shape and not collapse and have a long cuff, halfway to the elbow, like a gauntlet. I got used to them back when I was pretty active with barbeque cookoffs. I can slip them on one-handed if they already have nasty stuff on them and slip 'em off just as easy.
    For the occasional mechanical attack, when I need the feel of my fingertips, I have a pair of the fingerless, mechanic's gloves and hand cleaner.

4. BJR

BJR

I never used to wear gloves. :eek: I finally got sick of the cracked fingers and thumbs.:( Haven't had a cracked thumb since I started to wear gloves when working on cars or painting.:) We are NEVER to old to change our ways, especially if it makes us live longer better lives. More time to enjoy and drive our cars.:D

lothiandon1940 and patterg2003 like this.
  5. spook498

spook498

I used to not wear them for the first 10 years of wrenching. But for the last 20, Ive wore them. I use the Steel Venom brand, they are a double thick glove but they dont seem very strong sometimes. Im less worried about the chemical absorbtion, as I am the dirty hands.

Now, when it comes to public bathrooms, etc, I always open the doors with a paper towel in my hand or even the tail of my shirt. Because people are generally nasty....

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Pretty bad at remembering to wear them. I know I should more often. I do always wear them when painting and cleaning paint guns. The cheap ones just melt with solvent, the HF heavy duty 9ml ones hold up quite well.

I should wear them to do oily/dirty work too. but ...

7. This instantly brought to mind Bill Hines....Don't know how old he was when he died , but the image of him heatin' and spreadin' lead , no mask ..unlit cigar clamped tightly in his jaw..glasses pockmarked with weld spatter...shirt pocket crammed full of paperwork...Wonder how the conversation about safety gloves would have gone over with him ???
    Oh well...

8. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

X2 on the black Nitrile gloves from O'Reilly.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let me reiterate for those who are still not buying into this:

You risk going out hard, slowly, and painfully, bankrupting your family in the process. Is that what you want?

I watched it happen. He did not know any better. You do.

Do better.

10. fuzzface

fuzzface

"You risk going out hard, slowly, and painfully, bankrupting your family in the process. Is that what you want?"

Problem is if you live too long the same thing happens anyways.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why be in a hurry?

12. 47ragtop

47ragtop

EXACTLY. !!

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If the chemicals from outside don't get you, the ones you ingest every time you eat will. Not saying one is better or worse than the other, it's just a fact almost all our food is loaded with chemicals anymore. Dow Chemical has had the motto of "Better living through chemistry" since the 1940's or earlier. Is it really better living when we are killing ourselves with what we eat?

I wear gloves when using chemicals like acetone or paint thinner. Have never really bothered with petroleum gas, oil and grease, maybe I should think about it. I've known several painters who died young, but all the gas and diesel mechanics I've know lived into their 70's and 80's, and they never wore a glove in their life. Who knows? Anything and everything can kill you, you just have to decide how much risk you are willing to take.....