Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Disney's California Adventure CARS LAND Opening June 15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, May 12, 2012.

1. My pleasure ... plus a certain TJJ Blogger & fellow HAMBer is paying me to bump this thread ;) :rolleyes: :D

2. thats awesome, wish we lived closer so we could go.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

If you really wanna save some major dinero, take in your own food. I've been a SoCal season pass holder for a long time, and I take in my own water bottles, snacks, and sandwiches. If you don't want to carry 'em around until lunch or dinner time, stow your goodies in the rental lockers available on Main Street. Disneyland is totally cool with it... :)
    Just don't be onnoxious about it, and ruin it for the locals. :cool:

4. According to the writer, the article won't be on line until next week or around 6/15 when they are planning a real big splash in the paper.

Here's a page that my Disney Product Development contact scanned and sent to us guys.

Dennis

Attached Files:

5. I thought I was the only cheap bastard that did that!?
    There are lots of quite little spots through out the park to sit and have a snack if you do bring one. No sure if Disney is "cool" with it, but I've never had a problem at all.

6. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Thanks. My addiction to cars comes close to my addiction to Disneyland. I know almost everything there is to know about the park. I do not claim to know everything as i am learning new things everyday.

Any secrets that i should know about cars land that the typical public wont know? You can pm me it if you do not want to share it with the whole world.

I would love to be a Disneyland tour guide.

I love the details.. one fun detail that i am sure no one on here knows about or who has seen is the half and half light bulb in Coca Cola corner.

Coca Cola corner is located on the north west side of the end of Main St. Seen here:

[​IMG]

When Main Street was being built in 1955 an electrician was installing the red and white popcorn lights on the corner entrance. He thought that the light bulbs were going to all be clear and not colored. But they were designed to be alternating white and red. Well in order to have a perfect white red white red pattern you need an even number of light sockets to make things look balanced and not have two reds next to each other or two whites together. So he accidentally drilled holes for and installed an odd number of sockets. Well good ol Walt didnt want to rebuild the over hang's wooden ceiling which the light bulbs were installed into so what did he decide to do?

He made one bulb famous....

He made the one and only red/white bulb. Yes it is half white/half red..

The guy was a genius..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was never intended to be seen. It was supposed to blend in. And to the average visitor, it does its job of blending in. But for those in the know it has became one of the many famous details Disneyland is known for.

The park was built in one year from start to finish.. On July 21, 1954, construction on the park began. It was a momentous undertaking to build Main Street, Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland in only one year. The total cost of building Disneyland would be $17 million equal to about $215,435,200 (two hundred fifteen million four hundred thirty-five thousand, two hundred) today. The park opened its gates to the public on July 17th, 1955 and has had over 803,000,000 (eight hundred and three million) visitors since. On any given day the number of visitors average 50,000 in each park and during the christmas time crowds can grow to 80,000. And yes Disneyland does have a maximum occupancy, it is about 85,000 visitors. Although the actual number is kept secret as not to discourage guests to come to the park on heavy crowd days. It has happened to where admittance was suspended for a few hours before they started to allow new visitors back inside. Lol crazy..

If you have not gone during christmas time you must go! It is a MUST! At night they have a show that lights up the castle with LED lights and twinkle lights and they make it snow on Main Street. It is breath taking. It will literally make you speechless. It gives me a super strong chill through my whole body because it is just so amazing.

Here is a good video of the castle lighting. But you cant see the snow too well so the second video below shows it pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHWCPoY1MeQ&sns=em

You can see the snow in this video at about 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlSjfZHNJ2M&sns=em

7. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

It is official. I will be there june 17th 2012 -june 21st, 2012. Anyone going there that same time? I always enjoy meeting fellow hamb-meisters

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

8. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

They not only did monorail orange but also monorail blue as well apparently

[​IMG]

The monorails should be in the next Pixar Cars movie.... HONK HONK!!!! lol

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

9. This looks like fun.

10. very cool! i wish it were closer.

11. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

Thanks for all the info and pics, Doug.
    As a born-and-raised southern Californian, I've been to the Magic Kingdom many times. Haven't been since around 2008 though.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Cars Land, but I'm a bit disappointed that there seems to be only 2 rides. Good ones for sure - but only 2. Does it look like they've got one or two more in the pipeline?

Also you might want to mention the 'makeover' that the 'midway' area got as well.......( I believe that opened last year...)

Marshall

12. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Great Thread!
    Myself, my family and some other family members were in So Cal and Disneyland 3 yrs ago and we all had a great time. We hope to get down there again in about 2 yrs. Really looking forward to checking out the remodeled California Adventures, I did think parts of it looked like a strip mall. I do want to see the new Cars Land!

13. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

14. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

The parking lot. You know there's two Disney parks at that locatioin now.

15. I like how Disney just raised their prices yesterday.It is now 87 bucks to get thru the door .

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  16. verde742

verde742

Its so busy, nobody goes there anymore....

17. That makes sense...... lol

18. Good thread, thanks for all the info and tips!

19. ... no man I don't think so. - LL Cool J

20. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

I haven't been there since about 1965! I wish I could save the $ and have the time for the GF and her 2 girls to go. All I remember is Tinker bell flying from the Matterhorn. Our hotel was just across the street as I recall. Pirates of the Caribbean and It's a small world also stuck with me.

I'd love to see a very cute Amphicar as a Cars character. It would make a great water based ride too! Just sayin... :)

21. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Pure genius! That would be awesome!

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

22. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Lol that statement is an oxymoron lol. If no one went there, it wouldn't be busy lol. But i agree it is really crazy at times

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

23. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG]

Sunday marked the start of new price hikes that affected all levels of Disneyland Resort theme park admission. The new price increases ranged from an $8 increase on a one-day, one-park ticket, all the way to a $150 increase for Premium Annual Passports. The announcement was made on the Disney Parks Blog late Friday afternoon as the workweek ended and Disney tried their hardest to spin the big price hikes by citing the various new offerings opening this summer in both theme parks:

[​IMG]

Disneyland Resort Theme Park Admission Prices Effective May 20, 2012

New Price Adult / Child Previous Price Adult / Child Increase Adult / Child

One Day One Park $87 / $81 $80 / $74 Up $6 / $7

One Day Park Hopper $125 / $119 $105 / $99 Up $20 / $10

Two-Day One Park Per Day $170 / $158 $158 / $146 Up $12 / $12

Two-Day, Park Hopper $200 / $188 $173 / $161 Up $27 / $27

Three-Day, One Park Per Day $220 / $205 $209 / $193 Up $11 / $12

Three-Day Park Hopper $250 / $235 $224 / $208 Up $26 / $27

So. Cal Select Annual Passport $269 $199 Up $70

So. Cal Annual Passport $329 $269 Up $60

Deluxe Annual Passport $469 $379 Up $90

Premium Annual Passport $649 $499 Up $150

Premier Annual Passport $849 $749 Up $100

Annual Passport Blockout Ticket $70 $59 Up $11

Annual Passport Parking Pass $129 $99 Up $30

24. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG]

Details revealed about Disney’s Buena Vista Street The new entrance corridor in Disney California Adventure is supposed to give a feel of 1920s Los Angeles, more precisely like a neighborhood similar to Los Feliz.

Buena Vista Street will open June 15 as part of the completion of California Adventure's make over. Disney has revealed some details: Some of the venues, including Mortimer's Market, are designed after shops that used to sit along Sixth Avenue in Los Angeles. Originally, Walt Disney was going to give the name Mortimer to the character who became Mickey Mouse. The tiles and murals, including stained glass windows, along the street were all designed by Disney workers. The tiles were custom crafted in Los Angeles. Disney creators researched the fountains of Los Angeles Department of Water and Power of that time period to design the fountain in Carthay Circle, the hub of Buena Vista Street. The Red Car Trolley Cars, based on the former Pacific Electric Railway, are actually battery powered. The wires are just props. [One of the trolleys has the number 623 — an actual number on one of the Pacific Electric Railway cars. Carthay Circle Theatre is designed after the former venue where s"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” premiered. The address is 937 — an homage to 1937, the year the movie debuted. Disney recreated the carpet design from the original theater for the California Adventure building. New food locations along Buena Vista Street: Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe; Mortinar Market; ?hand scooped Ice Cream; and Carthay circle Restaurant and Lounge. The restaurant and lounge will run in the same cornerstone building, Carthay Circle Theatre. A full-scale Starbucks will run in the 178-seat Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe, which will also carry standard Disney fare, including cinnamon rolls.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Dizzyland has become a playground for the rich and famous. That dirty rat!

26. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Yep.. its almost out of reach of the average joe's price range

27. jfrolka

jfrolka

I love Disneyland, everything there is top notch and well thought out. This new addition is great. Maybe they can give a tour of the park and give more history on attractions and the meaning behind them.

The price hike is a bummer but Disneyland is a treat to go to. The passholders are the true appreciators and also the middle class.

Now with all these attractions to see Disney has really put the spectator in the hot seat to go a second day and pay into the hotel if their magic puts you in a trance.

I will definitily be there in late June to see the new additions. It will be great.

28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

29. we just got back about an hour ago... passholders...

since they started on the project we've been geeked. my buddy was a lead for the electrical in the new land so we got to see 3D diagrams and layouts back when they started.

my wife and i like to go in the evening and right now our favorite spot is on the patio in front of the Blue Sky Cellar/wine bar. from that vantage point you can JUST see over the fence and everything is lit up. you can see down the strip and i can tell you that the detail is AMAZING. this is gonna be a BIG hit.

i'm not one to get wrapped up in opening day stuff because i cant stand the crowds but i think for this one we're gonna get there as early as allowed just to say we did.

i'm not so much a disney fan as a cars fan, and i was most certainly not a DCA fan. it had zero 'magic', but with the addition of 'world of color' (freaking awesome on every level), toy story mania (just plain fun), and the revamp including cars land and buena vista st., i think they hit a grand slam.

i can see myself spending alot of time over there, just chilling out, people watching and taking in the atmosphere.

since we're giving disney tips, here's a few:
    there are two rides that you can get on without waiting in the main line, but its a little tough if you're in a group.

indiana jones and splash mountain. both have a 'single rider' option.

you simply enter through the exit and you wind up in a queue for 'single riders' where they'll stick you in an empty seat left open by an odd numbered group of riders.

The BEST time to get on Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean is during the showing of Fantasmic and the fireworks. we usually walk on, even on saturday nights.

you cannot visit disneyland without catching a show of Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the golden horseshoe. stellar. time it with a lunch break as they serve quickie food there.

every day Disneyland Honors our country and our military with a proper flag ceremony and retiring of the colors at around 4 to 5 pm. it really is something special.

carry on.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  30. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Walt Disney served in the army during wwi. But was discharged. But he always had alot of respect for people in uniform.