Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Disney's California Adventure CARS LAND Opening June 15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, May 12, 2012.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG]

If you haven't been to the park in a few years you may not know about the new land Disney is building for its California Adventure park. It is a replica of Radiator Springs, the route 66 inspired fictional town in the Pixar Movie Cars. They really have gone crazy with details for this land, as well as their new entrance area for the park.
    The wait is almost over for Disney

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  2. Lild

Lild

Looks awesome. I know my youngest boy will wanna go out there for that

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

THANK YOU! I was at Disneyland around 1975, what section of the park does this replace? Bob

4. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I have a tone of pics for you too.. slowly getting them uploaded so keep checking back

5. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

ALOT has changed since 1975. The whole California Adventure park occupies what was most of the parking lot directly across from Disneyland's front gate. You no longer can drive past the front gate. california adventure officially opened in 2001. but was lacking a ton of detail and did not have the magical feel that Disneyland has. It looked like a strip mall with some rides. So in 2007 the company heard the guests and responded by starting a 1.1 Billion dollar rebuild of the park. If you look at google maps you can see the size of this park. as well as the size of the new land "Cars Land" Bob, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I am a nerd of sorts.. I may be one of the few hot rodder's that is obsessed with Disneyland. (not so much CA adventure until recently.. since the upgrade)

6. upspirate

upspirate

I really detest Disney(the one here anyway) cause people think it's the real Fla and it's so expensive.

This new cars inspired park IS kinda cool though...I guess cause I liked the movie/cartoon!!

Yea I know....you have to take kids somewhere sometimes other than all car cruises & shows!!!:eek::rolleyes:

7. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When night falls in Cars Land, all I can say is “get your camera ready!” For years, I’ve had the pleasure of discovering all the different photographs to be had at the Disneyland Resort once the sun goes down, so having the opportunity to explore all the new photo possibilities in Cars Land at night has been a real treat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When you enter Cars Land at night, you’re going to want to walk down Route 66 and take in the spectacular lights and neon signs of Radiator Springs.
    [​IMG]
    This photo was taken just outside Radiator Springs Racers. You can really see the shape of the front of a car come into view in the rockwork with the way it is lit at night (the grill to the left, hood ornament on top, and even a wheel well on the right). Be on the look out for more surprises in the rockwork, some things are easy to find and some are a little harder.
    [​IMG]

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

good lord don't let my sonsee this. we won't drop it until we make a left coast trip.

9. ryno

ryno

looks incredible.
    i did some work with Disney awhile back, wish i was working in this project.

10. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I will be posting some pics of the construction as well. So you can see how impressive this park will be after june 15. It has really changed into something worth going to. When I first went to CA adventure it just did not have the same appeal and or luster as most Disney parks are known for. Like I said before.. it was more like a strip mall with rides. It wasnt an immersible experience like Disneyland is.. until after the reconstruction. I will be going on the 18th of June so I will take as many photos as I can.

Also if you did not catch the story of the belly tank that is located in Disney's CA adventure you can check it out here:Disney's Vintage Belly Tank

You can get an idea of how large this land is in this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ntl1Xtk96Gc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

We are heading down next january and our whole family is super excited for cars land. My wife runs in the tinkerbell half marathon and we plan to make it our yearly family vacation. Also just me and the wife are heading down there in Sept. For the Disneyland half. I don't know if we will be in the park for that but will at leadt get a preview. I love the Pixar movies. I am just a big kids

12. booking our flight now
    me and the boy are going to have a ball there
    tk

13. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

This is the new entrance into CA adventure. It is 1920's/30's LA themed.. it is to represent when Walt Disney came to California before he started his animation company.

Buena Vista Street:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before remodel Blueprints of concept
    [​IMG]

Entrance Before remodel.

[​IMG]

Entrance after remodel
    [​IMG]
    based upon the design of the Pan Pacific Auditorium in LA
    [​IMG]

Nice Woody...
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately the building is no longer around. it caught fire.
    [​IMG]
    The Carthay Circle Theatre (Where Snow White first premiered). It is also no longer with us. By the 1960s the Carthay was considered obsolete, overshadowed by modern cinemas; its customer base had also been sapped by suburbanization. The theater was demolished in 1969; today, two low-rise office buildings and a city park occupy its former site.

[​IMG]
    The theater (above) in 1927

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More shots of BV ST
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The building on the top right (red and creme) is Oswald's Service Station. For those who do not know.. Oswald, the lucky rabbit was a character designed by Walt Disney pre-Mickey Mouse.

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (also known as Oswald the Rabbit or Oswald Rabbit) is an anthropomorphic rabbit and animated cartoon character created by Ub Iwerks and Walt Disney for films distributed by Universal Pictures in the 1920s and 1930s. The majority rights to the character are currently held by The Walt Disney Company
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just past the gates, Buena Vista Street will have a "mom-and-pop feeling with living quarters above small retail shops, like Silverlake or Atwater Village"; farther into the park, it'll feel more like an old Wilshire or Westwood commercial district, with a Bullocks Wilshire-type department store at the end of the street. The two sections of the street will be divided by the Disneyland Monorail's elevated track, which is currently modeled on the Golden Gate Bridge, but which will get a makeover to look more like the Glendale-Hyperion Bridge between Silver Lake and Atwater Village ("Built between 1927 and 1929 out of steel-reinforced concrete, the viaduct dates from the same period that Walt Disney and his brother Roy opened the Walt Disney Studios just a half-mile away at 2725 Hyperion Avenue in Silverlake.")

Before

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4337769055_471f3fca0c.jpg

You can see the remodeled bridge in this 3d model concept video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0mBTTzjziZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just like in the "hub" of disneyland, they plan to make a "Partners statue" for BV street. Here is the concept[​IMG]

14. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Vividly, thanks for posting this. I will be down for the opening. My brother-in-law was one of the electricians on this and had a blast just working on it. I can't wait to see it.

15. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Wife and I are taking our 3 year old there in september. By then he'll be closer to 4the so hopefully he is tall enough by then.

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love to see it but I hate crowds.

17. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

here is Oswalds service station:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They are also adding transportation. They are adding the red street car trollies, that once carried the citizens of LA to and from work and all around down town. The tracks and wires can be seen in this picture above. the trolly stop is also seen in the left side with the rock work pillars.

the trolly will travel from the front gate of CA adventure, all the way to the Tower of Terror Hotel ride
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also paid tribute to Walt's Father Elias Disney.

[​IMG]

18. Looks like a visit to Disneyland may finally be in order...

19. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

ok LAST post for the moment.

[​IMG]

This is what cars land started out as:

[​IMG]
    The building in the lower right corner in the photo above is the long rectangular building in the bottom of the red outline in the photo below (to give you an idea of what your looking at.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From a steel structure
    [​IMG]

to mesa's, bluffs, and ranges that look as if they have been there forever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL

[​IMG]

20. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

anyone needing help getting cheap tickets, hotel rates, and or other disney info, please email me ([email protected]) I will give you the companies that I go through. To all who thanked me for posting, I am happy to give you a preview. if anyone has any questions feel free to email me or send your questions in a reply to this post. thanks guys!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yqkGs60mkmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

21. 383 240z

383 240z

I cant believe that I am considering a left coast trip to the land of the friggin' mouse because of this. Keith

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just got back from seeing my 2 week old Grandson, how tall will he have to be to go on this ride? Bob

23. Brandi

Brandi

Oh My God. I've been waiting for this! It looks great. I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a kid, I can't wait to check it out.

24. Barn-core

Barn-core

I was just there last weekend with my family and was so dissapointed that I was going to miss out on this. Looks like I'll have to make a return trip sooner rather than later.

25. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I will check and get back to you on that. I believe the average height on most rides at disney is 36 - 40 inches

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

26. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Yes alot has been going on recently. The Matterhorn bobsleds have been undergoing a major overhaul, including new bobsleds. Unfortunately you cant have your girl sit in your lap anymore. Its one person per seat now.

Also there is construction on main st. Construction in frontier land, new orleans square, and a shit ton of construction in ca adventure as shown above.. but what i posted isnt all of it. Thats just the interesting stuff.

Think of it this way, by going later, you will miss out on the long congested lines and walkways. I am expecting that when i go on June 17th the lines for cars lands attractions will be over 2 hours. If not more. It will definitely be a fast past must attraction.

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

27. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

What year was your last visit?

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Haha next your going to mold a copy of the radiator cap mesa out of mashed potatoes lol (get the reference? )

Don't forget everyone, anybody needing help getting cheap tickets, hotel rates, and or other disney info, please feel free to email me ([email protected]) I will give you the companies that I go through. My local travel agent cant even beat my prices. I just shop around and have my finger on the pulse of the prices. if anyone has any questions feel free to email me or send your questions in a reply to this post.

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

This looks like it will be awesome! Thanks for the pics and info!

30. Was going to go to the new Disney in Hong Kong next year - now it looks like it'll have to be So Cal.