Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disk/disk brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dangerous Dan, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

After doing a extensive search I still have to ask. I have a 48 Chevy coupe with a M/2 front suspension and a Ford 8.8 disk rear end and I am looking for a bone yard firewall mount booster and master cylinder that will work. I plan on using an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes so I don't think I will need a combination valve, true or false. What master cylinders will work on this disk/disk system and what pedal mount has been used in this application.

Thanks, Dan

2. lawman

lawman

Have 70s corvette M/C Dic/Dic.

3. studebaker46

studebaker46

i would ttend to think the one used on the expiorer the rearend came out of it should be metered right for tjis combo. tom

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

You don't want anything other than a proportioning valve on 4 wheel disks and you may not need that if you get lucky on the piston area, weight distribution and tire sizes. Test it on wet road with a panic stop.

Don’t go bigger than a 1" bore MC unless you have at least 6-1 pedal ratio. I like 7/8" MC bore size for manual disk brakes with a 6-1 pedal ratio.​

I would never use a boneyard MC, ever...​

Good info here -​

http://www.mpbrakes.com/technical-support/reference.cfm

5. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

I intend to use a new master cylinder, probably a Corvette style. But what would be the best firewall mount swinging pedal to adapt to the 48 Chev. with this type of master, Someone must have a preference. I could buy a universal pedal assembly but I'm to cheap, lol.

6. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

The nice people at Pirate Jacks have always helped me. I usually get a smaller bore MC than usual so I can lock the brakes up if I need to. It, of course depends on the size of your rotors and tires too.
    The combo valves have a delay built into them that the adjustables don't. Just put more drop into the adjustable. Remember the fronts do 80% of the braking.

Your original question is a very tough one. One hard to recommend parts for, but you can always change cylinder sizes to compensate. The aftermarket Corvette MC's are hard to beat. Good luck