Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Disc vs drum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Falcon64, Mar 31, 2019.

1. hey everyone. I’m just trying to get all your opinions on drum bs disc brakes and what I should do. Currently my falcon has manual 9inch drum brakes on all 4 corners. I plan on cruising this car at 70-75 mph on highway and using in everyday traffic in the city and I’ve heard drums can be abit lacking. I am on a high school budget and $600+ to go to discs in the front is a lot for me. Is discs really necessary or will the drums work for 70 mph and freeway traffic with possible very sudden stops thanks everyone

2. All I can say is KEEP YOUR DISTANCE !

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You expect a lot of your 50 year old Falcon. If it is otherwise stock I suggest you go over the brakes and make sure they are in good shape and working correctly, and try them. I expect it will be perfectly happy in normal traffic and that you will tone down to around 60 or 65 on the hiway.

pitman and sunbeam like this.
  4. Is your car 4 lug or 5 ? lets start there

5. Drove a lot of miles on drums. But make sure you keep a proper distance. You can upgrade the friction material on the shoes if ya do a little research. A booster will help braking confidence.

Hombre and egads like this.
  6. Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    JNKYARDDOG_1 likes this.
  7. egads

egads

If you pay attention, drum brake's in good shape,should be more than adequate.

8. I drive a 68 Chrysler with four wheel drums, being in the country it’s all highway at 70 ish miles an hour. It stops fine, make sure everything is in working order. I also drove a 65 valiant daily in city traffic with 9” drums, never a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

they worked in the 50s and 60s. just be aware they are different from todays brakes. replace everything that looks rough. be sure and check all lines and hoses.

Hombre and egads like this.
  10. Let me say I have no misconception that drums work better than discs however if in good shape they do work fine.

11. 54BOMB

54BOMB

It would be easy to tune up the brakes and just keep your distance . Your driving habits are the most important part .
    One option to the fancy pre built kits is see if your model had an original option for disc brakes and buy the parts from a parts store . Don’t the mustang parts cross over ? Might be cheaper . I did it with a 65 Impala , got all the disc brake parts for a 69 from Napa, easy.

12. I like drums. One thing that I have done that does make a difference is buying 2 sets of shoes and using the long shoes only. Clean the backing plates and line all the contact points for the shoes. Good operating condition makes a big difference, but putting 2 sets of long shoes on will help it stop a little faster and with more response.

Try looking at these guys for a complete brake rebuild set up. They have performance kits for drum brakes. I've used their stuff for years and it's far better that parts house parts that are made in China.

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com

13. RmK57

RmK57

Drum brakes tend to fade from steady applications, like a long steep downhill section of road.
    In a panic stop from 70 mph drum brakes should easily lock up all 4 wheels. My 57 Ford when it had drums all around stopped pretty good for a 3600 lbs. car.

egads and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. Remember all the 4000 pound tuna boats Detroit pumped out from the '50's to the late '60's? None of them had disc brakes and we're still alive to talk about it. We even survived without cell phones. Whooda thunk it?

15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

First off Mr. Falcon, congrats on being a high school kid and being and old car guy! Recruit more of your friends to keep our hobby alive!! Secondly I learned to drive at your age in my 56 Chevy with manual drums on all four corners, manual steering and bias ply tires. Drive it with respect and like several of the other guys said make sure everything is in good shape and set up right and you’ll be fine.

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The main difference between drum and disc, is how many times you can apply either brakes in a short time.
    A drum brake system, in good shape will lock up all four tires, that’s all any brake system can do.... none of them will start turning the tires backwards!
    Like already has been said, it’s a question of how many times, you can do it before the drums heat up and expand and your brakes fade.

Bones

17. Where you live makes a difference too.I grew up driving drums in hilly San Francisco.It was easy to over heat drums so I learned how to use engine compression to slow. If you live in Kansas you might never put them to the big test.

Special Ed, egads and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. Road Racer

Road Racer

Wet Drums in the rain can get interesting, be careful.

19. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say:
    If your existing brakes are in bad shape and you need to start buying drums and a lot of other parts, it might be more cost effective to go with the disc brakes. It the cost of rebuilding your existing brakes is within 25% of the cost of conversion (don't forget most disc brake conversions are front brakes only, take the cost of the rear brakes and lines and rear hoses into account as well), I would probably step up to the disc brakes. Gene

pitman, nunattax, Scott and 6 others like this.
  20. I think you'll notice a bigger difference between manual brakes vs power brakes (boosted brakes) than you will between drums vs disks. I just bought a vehicle with manual 4-wheel disks and I feel like I need Lance Armstrong on dope to help me stop the thing. It's not that it doesn't feel safe or won't stop as needed. It just needs 6 or 8 times the input from my leg to the pedal to do it as they would if they were boosted.

$600 is a lot for a kid in high school. A brake upgrade can be on your bucket list but it doesn't have to be floating at the top of the bucket. Reading between the lines of all the replies, make sure what you have is in good shape and drive it before you decide anything. Back when I was spending my hard earned money on my first couple of cars, I drove a well modified, weekend drag racer equipped with manual drums with no issues on the streets and interstates. The only times I had any scares was past the 1/4 mile light in the too short shutdown at the drag strip. I was literally standing on the pedal while pulling the steering wheel to my chin to make the hairpin turn back to the pits.

https://techtalk.mpbrakes.com/boosters/adding-a-power-brake-booster-do-i-have-power-brakes-or-not

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Special Ed and egads like this.
  21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Another suggestion for later since you're on a budget, you could update to a tandem MC and just replumb the necessary fluid lines. A little more piece of mind, if one line fails there is a backup, maybe an upgrade later with a booster as a prelude to other things when more funds become available?
    Just use common sense and drive within your ability and the limitations of the car; don't expect modern handling and braking (miracles) with an old car, that's part of the appeal. No matter how good a driver you may be, there are plenty of idiots out there just waiting to test your skills and ability as a driver as well as your patience. :D

nunattax and egads like this.
  22. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

What engine you have in this falcon I've had several early falcons that wouldn't go that fast down hill much less in traffic

Bob the butcher, dan31 and Special Ed like this.
  23. You need to check the pedal ratio.
    The biggest difference between manual and power brakes should be the height of the pedal and how far you have to move it.

24. New cars have incredible stopping power compared to a stock Falcon. So if you are behind someone that can stop a lot better than you can, you need to be on your toes with drums or upgrade to discs. I'd look at what Scarebird has, he does a 4-lug to 5-lug conversion in case you are going to put a later rear in the car.

Special Ed likes this.
  25. Special Ed

Special Ed

That post above is good advice, and something to consider.
    My daily is a '66 Ford pick-up with manual drums on all four corners. The only thing I've upgraded is the stock single pot, to a dual reservoir master cylinder, for safety. I'm not too concerned about my own ability to stop, but it's all the other vehicles out there on the road with me that are able to stop on a dime ... You really need to pay attention, and drive proactively.

26. squirrel

squirrel

When I was in high school, my brother and I spent about $600 to build a big block and put it in an old pickup. We never even thought about the possibility of upgrading the brakes.

Hot rodding has changed a lot in the past few decades :)

(no judgement here, you go ahead and do what you decide is best for you)

27. KenC

KenC

IMO, the drums if in excellent condition will be fine. But, there is one condition, tires. with near stock tire size the drums can provide more stopping power than the tires can provide traction.

If you improve tire traction, with larger high quality radials for instance, then consider a front brake upgrade. I don't see any need for rear disks as the rears don't contribute a lot to stopping.

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Next to having no brakes at all, the worst thing for a brake system is to have it lock up all 4 wheels/tires. That's a great way to slide right into whatever you were wanting to avoid hitting.
    Not really, good brake systems provide good feedback to your foot and a good feel for what the brakes are doing with the wheel. It's all about control, which is where drums brakes perform the worst.

X-cpe, Ned Ludd, impala4speed and 2 others like this.
  29. Depending on where you live and where the car is from it probably got driven in the 65-70 mph range and driven in traffic when it was new. Make the brakes new ands drive it.

That said I did not have a lick of sense when I was in high school and nearly never listened to anyone my age so forget I said anything.

X-cpe, Flat Six Fix, clunker and 4 others like this.