Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Disc brakes grind when hot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Sep 8, 2016.

1. squirrel

squirrel

On the road, my 57 suburban started making a new noise. Sounds like the front brakes are grinding. New pads and turned rotors last year, plenty of pad life left. 72 Camaro front clip. It only does it after a fairly hard stop from highway speed. No noise after it cools off. Can't see anything wrong, wheel bearings look good, etc. Maybe low quality brake pads?

edit: Title should be ...when HOT? not ...when GOT?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

or when they're HOT...
    -n- sometimes a sticky caliper , and even that can come -n-go.
    and
    sometimes we tend to put on the BETTER pads and they can also
    noise up...
    give em a GQQD slam -n- see if the noise goes AWAY...

3. squirrel

squirrel

1473363135867.jpg

Close to 10,000 gross weight. Might have something to do with it. Yes, the trailer brakes work.

elgringo71, Hotrodmyk, kaspar and 5 others like this.
  4. I put some new pads on my dodge truck last year that sounded horrible after they got hot. Didn't sound like metal to metal grinding but almost like sopping on really rusty rotors, that sound you get when it rubbing off the rust with the pads when you step on the brake. it didn't feel weird or stop funny just the sound, they were cheap pads. Put a set of Raybestos pads on it about a month later and it instantly went away

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I've seen lots of pads glaze over and crack from heat after awhile and get noisy. Usually, it's more of a squeal but sometimes it can sound like a groaning or scraping sound. The extra weight you are stopping may indicate the need for a better quality of pad.

6. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Have you replaced the hoses? I've seen them get a "flapper" inside and make the caliper slow to release, causing them to drag momentarily. It started out just once in a while and then got worse before I figured it out.Good Luck

bct and 59Apachegail like this.
  7. When was the last time you changed the fluid????

8. squirrel

squirrel

I haven't done any other work on the brakes. 45k miles over three years. It was all new.

9. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I bought autozone premium lifetime pads for my astro van, very noisy like metal to metal,removed pads and they are impregnated with metal shavings ,I bought a cheap set no problems

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Actually sometimes the cheap pads actually give the best brakes, as far as stopping the car goes, because they are softer. But, they often create more dust, making your wheels dirty, and dont last as long, so people dont like them. Good Luck

kiwijeff, Truck64 and Mr48chev like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Rex has a point Squirrel. If you went high end on the pads they are likely metallic and they will make noise. The cheaper pads will dust real bad but they are quieter in all temps.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BTW, I've seen shots of the 'burban but not with your chevy in close pursuit, Very not bad.

flatheadpete likes this.
  13. fms427

fms427

Squirrel - I would also blame the pads. I would go with a good pad like Performance Friction that can take some heat ( I use in HP street cars and my race cars ) . There are a lot of crappy pads out there.....

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. partssaloon

partssaloon

Jim, just went through this on my 32. The outside pad on the GM caliper where it turns 90 degree to secure it on the caliper is to close to the rotor. The rotor hub tapers slightly toward the disc. Look on that area and you will see rub marks both on the rotor and the bottom side of the disc pad.

kiwijeff and squirrel like this.
  15. dan31

dan31

I bought some pads from napa for my wife's car that did this. They weren't the cheap ones either. I replaced them and the problem went away, seems like the rotor material didn't like whatever was in those pads if that makes any sense.

16. adam401

adam401

The Napa near my house has a sign up that details the break in process for their premium pads. They put it up due to a large volume of returns due to brake noise. It's like x amount of stops x amount of times at whatever speed so they don't glaze.

17. We are meticulous with that. As well as lubricating everything with the best brake lubricant (back of pads. Anywhere steel rubs steel).
    Still some pads are just noisy. I've had cheap ones and even good ones do that.

Whenever I noisy pads I warranty them and use a different kind.

Sounds typical of noisy pads (makes noise when hot). I've had some sound like grinding when hot and it was just the pads. Just change them out.

squirrel and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  18. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Since it heavy and they get hot it sound it happen only when hot. Replace the rotors with the drilled and slotted kind that will fix the issue.

19. Drilled and slotted tend to be noisy in my experience. Sure they dissipate heat better. Great if you're racing.

For a driver the slots get rusty and seem to make noise.

AHotRod likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll worry about it later. But I will look to see if the rotor is rubbing the pad

21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Get it to do it, then jack up,the front and spin the wheels to see if they're rubbing. For stopping power, I like Hawk pads.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. 45k is a lot of miles on disc brakes. And you tow, extra abuse. The pads may be rocking around on the calipers as well. On the road, you can always toss a good set of pads in just to be safe.

23. squirrel

squirrel

The pads have probably 10-12k on them at the most. I'll have to look up and see, I wrote it down in the little book in the truck, but it's raining outside right now...

24. Geez Squirrel, if you can't figure out the issue, it must be undiagnose-able!

squirrel likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

It's a bit easier to diagnose stuff when you're not trying to get 1900 miles in three days...no time to work on it!

26. La-dee-da

La-dee-da

27. La-dee-da

La-dee-da

If there is not enough clearance between the OD of the disc and the caliper, when the brakes are hotter than usual, like when you are braking a heavy a load, the disc may rub the caliper.

squirrel likes this.
  28. I have gone through 2 sets of front pads and a pair of rotors on my OT 2012 Chevy in 57k miles. I upgraded the rotors and got a much better set of pads this time... fixed it myself this round. I don't think pads and linings are as good as they used to be.

29. squirrel

squirrel

1473425119443.jpg

I think I see where the tab on the pad could be rubbing on the rotor. Might not have clinched the pads tight enough?