Register now to get rid of these ads!

disc brakes for 47-54 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenrod, Jan 12, 2008.

1. rottenrod

rottenrod

i have a 53 chevy truck and i want to keep the solid front axle but i want disc brakes i had seen on ebay a kit to convert it so i sent the guy a message and he said the kit is just 70's camaro brakes with custom caliper brakets so i went to the parts store today and bought 73 camaro rotors and bearings but the bearings do not fit the spindle does anyone know if these kit have use a differnt bearing or if there are any other disc brakes the would bolt right on

thanks

2. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The kit I bought to do mine used mid size GM car stuff and included a sleeve to adapt the inner bearing, along with an inner bearing and seal. The outer bearing is the one that came with the new disks I bought.

3. henry29

henry29

4. henry29

henry29

Sorry, didn't see that first post while i was looking for the link.

5. rottenrod

rottenrod

so it sounds like there is no bearing that will fit without an adapter

6. Brian W

Brian W

Follow this lead. When you buy the caliper bracket set (ECI's "basic kit") it includes the necessary bearing adapters. Spend the 160 bucks and get the correctly engineered caliper brackets it will save you a lot of time and headache. Then you can still use the parts house rotors and calipers you already purchased.:)
    This will also keep the standard bearing so if later down the road, if you need a replacement, you're not searching for an odball bearing while brokedown at Joey's Battery Shop in Tinbucktoo.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Everyone who has brake problems should consult with ECI. Ralph (the owner) is the most knowledgable brake guys Ive talked to. I've seen him spend a half hour solving a problem for someone when the individual hasn't even purchased any of his products. If he does make something for your application the trouble shooting has already been done and you can just take the parts out of the box, follow the directions and go down the road knowing it's a safe install.

Frank

8. rottenrod

rottenrod

thats sounds good i dont want a hacked up unsafe vehicle but i wanted to see if there was another way ill call TCI

9. rottenrod

rottenrod

10. 6inarow

6inarow

Are 6 lug discs available for this?

11. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The six lug kits I've seen use the original hub and either a roller bearing conversion or the original ball bearings.