Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disc Brakes -- ECI vs. Master Power Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slammy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. slammy

slammy

Anyone have any opinion/input on the quality of these two providers?

For my application ('51 Ford; Front & Rear discs+Universal hanging pedal w/ MC & Booster) ECI is to be much cheaper (cheapest I can find); but is there stuff just as good as MPB?

Any other providers out there I am missing that would provide a quality kit that is cheaper than ECI or MPB?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have an ECI kit on the front of my chevy, once I get a master to work it should be great.

3. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Man that's no shit! I was experiencing intermittent pedal failure and it was driving me nuts.:mad: All the trouble shooting kept leading me to a faulty master. My car is on its third master cylinder and it's finally fixed.

4. slammy

slammy

50flathead & 53sled -- are you guys using ECI's master? If so, 0 out of 2 is not so hot.

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

we're talking stock master. I will be upgrading to a 70s dual m/c, hanging pedals. its too cold out right now.

6. Slide

Slide

I've used a lot of ECI's brackets on cars, and they did good... never used the complete kit tho. Always used parts store master cylinders, calipers, etc. I have ECI brackets holding the calipers on my car now. I have probably around 100,000 miles on them.

Master Power is good quality stuff, but they can be jerks to deal with if you're not in their little clique of butt-kissers.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

ECI is good stuff.... I don't think the Master Power stuff is any better, but it sure is more expensive, and they can be dicks... go with ECI...

8. Hyfire

Hyfire

Never dealt with Master Power so cant say, but I was happy with ECI on my Chevy. Very easy and no hassle installation and the parts looked to be excellent quality. If I had to do it again I would try Master Power only becuase they now offer a power option on my model.

Hyfire

9. slammy

slammy

Thanks guys. Just the input I was looking for.

10. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

have you looked into cpp?
    http://www.classicperform.com/
    I think there stuff is a bit cheaper but don't know if they got the stuff your looking for

I've got an ECi brackets and bearing adapters on my truck, I thought the guy I talked to on the phone there to see how my order was coming along and he was a bit of a dick, might have been having a bad day I don't know but next time I'll be getting that stuff from CPP

I have no problem with the quality of ECI though and its holding up well, just that little incident on the phone is all

11. musclemaniac

musclemaniac

I have purchased from both companies - x4 Chevy's. ECI is slightly cheaper, but not near the quality as Master Power. No brainer for me - go with MPB.

12. Same for me. ECI sent 59 truck brackets for my 59 car.....:rolleyes:
    I call and told the guy he needed an 800 number, and he says "NO we DON'T!" Then I tell him I got the wrong parts and the guy tells me 'he sent what I ordered'....I don't fuckin THINK so.......then checked his invoices :eek:. oops!..."looks like we sent you truck brackets" Then told me to send back what I got and he'd send the right stuff..........
    Real asshole/attitude. I don't think he ever apologized.

Plenty of other vendors out there. :)

13. phat rat

phat rat

I personally wouldn't recommend MPB for a kids little red wagon. Fought with them for 13 months about a power brake booster I bought from them. When they finally got tired of my phone calls and bitching and had me send it back for them to check they found that it was defective right out of the box. They paid shipping both ways but a year is to long to get things straightened out.

14. DrJ

DrJ

I have ECI on two cars and they work tits.
    after shopping price on a few items, I bought the complete wheel kit with new rotors and drums because I couldn't beat it and I knew everything would fit like it was supposed to.
    Never had a problem with anyone on the phone either ordering or tech help.
    Every time I've called I got the owner on the phone.
    Nice and knowledgeable guy too.

Make sure you clean all burrs, rust and scratches off the spindle with sand paper before attempting to drive the adapter on with a piece of pipe that's big enough to fit over the spindle and small enough to not buger up the adapter.
    You only get one shot at it and it has to "bottom out"
    Don't sand it too much though or it'll be loose.
    I put my spindle adapters in the oven at about 300º so they'ed be expanded and worked fast.
    Mine have worked fine since '93 on a "daily driver".

ECI!

15. geemann51

geemann51

Have a MPB on my 51. Works great, but....

I had to raise it up and blister the floor so the brake booster wouldnt hit the ground after I bagged it. Didn't want to have an unfortunate accident....

16. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

used M.P. brakes for years, and never had a problem. Nice stuff with for a *reasonable* price.

if you slip and fall into a pile of cash, buy SSBC. Darn things stop so hard it will give you a headache!