Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disc brake kit from fleabay for 60 Chevy seems off a tad.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I got a kit, this one here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350464389576 and the calipers and pads only seem to cover about 60 % of the rotor area. Is this right? I've contacted the seller, no reply as of yet. The car stops pretty well but I can tell it could be better if there was full contact between the pads and rotors.
    I don't think i put anything on wrong, and the directions were sketchy at best.

Thanks for your help.

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Normally on a factory car you will see most of the rotor swept by the pads. However, when you start mixing parts you're going to have different results. I don't know about the particular kit you bought, but maybe those calipers are from a car that had a smaller diameter rotor than the rotors that came with the kit. That's my thought, anyway......

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I dunno, it's all Chinese shit, it all came in one package, well four to be honest.
    It was $399, you get what you pay for, I 'spose.

I swapped everything out because the stock brakes suck, the shoes weren't even a year old and the left side linings had cracked and fallen off completely, "lifetime warranty" Autozone, Made In China garbage, they're brakes fer crying out loud, I can understand making shoddy stick on portholes, but brakes? C'mon!!!!!

4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I don't remember what cars I have seen it on; there are production cars where the pad doesn't use all the rotor's friction surface. Like 52pig said, what you don't want is the pads overhanging the rotor.