Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disc brake conversion on my 1956 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Martin_F, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Rckt98

Rckt98

Any updates on this? I'm looking at possibly doing a disc brake upgrade to my 98 coupe.
    I have the factory power brake setup, would this work with discs with maybe a proportioning valve put in the line?
    Thanks
    Russell

2. I did a similar swap on my '59 Ford. I won't mention the maker of the kit, but I should have gone with the Scarebird brackets and hunted up the rest of the parts.

The brackets were plasma cut (or done by a similar process) and the caliper wasn't even close to fitting. If I didn't have a machine shop at my fingertips, getting it to work would be impossible. Live and learn is all I can say.

3. Still haven't driven the car since I changed the brakes. Should have the engine back soon and I'll post up a report then.

As far as the power brakes go, it shouldn't be an issue. You need the proportioning valves since you're running discs up front, and drums in the back.

4. Drove it down the road for the first time after the rebuild, the other day.
    Stops great! I'm really happy with the way the disc brake conversion turned out.
    I'm still having a few things on the engine and transmission to sort out, so I haven't put any miles on it yet...
    [​IMG]

5. Rckt98

Rckt98

That's great to see. A friend has the same disc kit you have so I will copy the caliper bracket and hopefully pick up the discs, bearings etc when we are in Vegas in May. Where would be the best place to source all the bits?
    Cheers
    Russell

6. @Rckt98 I would probably try NAPA or if you can find some old locally owned parts stores with the old timers behind the counter. No offense, but they can work the old books ;)

Some of the parts are available through Speedway, if you check my initial post again.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  7. Just figured I'd update this thread.
    Got around 600 miles on the setup now. The brakes are working great!
    I've been on a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway and also some heavy traffic situations.
    Also been using the car as a daily driver for the last two weeks.

The brakes feel consistent and save. I can only recommend this swap to everybody that's on the fence about it.
    I think you won't regret your decision!

Here's another pic for good measure:
    [​IMG]

8. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Great Thread Martin thanks for posting and getting back to me

9. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Has anyone used this kit with there factory master cylinder ?

10. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

It is unlikely that the factory master has capacity for disk brake calipers. You would also need to remove the residual valve and add one to the rear line.

11. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Yes that’s what I’m starting to gather , could the factory residual valve be removed thou ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

"Could the factory residual valve be removed thou ?"
    Sure, Guess you call it "reverse engineering"? It may be behind the brass thingy that the steel line seals against, remove by running a small screw into it and prying with a screw "bar".
    Worst case scenario, you need another master...

Knghtcadi likes this.
  13. Not sure if it could be done, but my main reason to go with the Corvette master cylinder was that it has two reservoirs. If something goes wrong with one circle, the second one would still stop the car.

14. Heath.H

Heath.H

Martin, with this being and older thread do you remember if there was possibly enough room to cram a hyroboost between the bracket and steering box? I like your setup, clean and functional. I'm not a big fan of relocating to the firewall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  15. Martin moved back to Germany a few years ago. Don't think he has had any postings in a long time.