Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diode in Alternator Wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worthop, Mar 29, 2012.

1. worthop

worthop

Should/Can the diode be Soldered to the wire? Or, just crimped?

2. squirrel

squirrel

either will work, the "experts" will recommend soldering it and covering it with heat shrink.

I'm not an expert, I think I crimped the one I put in my car 15 years ago, no problems.

3. butch27

butch27

I soldered mine.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Solder and shrink wrap is the best way to go !

Retro Jim

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Either will work, soldered will still work after the crimped one corrodes and stops working. If you live in Arizona I can see where corrosion is not a problem. If you live in the rust belt and plan to keep the car more than a year, solder it.

6. worthop

worthop

I will solder, Thanks Guys!

7. oj

oj

There is a right way and wrong way as far as the dirction goes - it has been a while and i don't remember exactly but there is a 'band' at one end to tell you how it is biased. I believe the band faces away from the altenator, test it to see - what you need to accomplish is that power can go from the altenator but not return into it, the diode is a one-way gate and will read continuity from one direction only.
    Like others, i solder and shrinktube it.

gnichols likes this.
  8. worthop

worthop

I think the stripe side is to the alternator..

9. usmile4

usmile4

Yes stripe toward alternaotor. I crimp, solder, tape, shrink but I'm in Illinois.

10. Puna Paul

Puna Paul
    from Hawaii

Diode stripe towards alternator will block the current flow from the alternator. What's the point of having this diode in there anyway? (FNG here).

11. squirrel

squirrel

I had to install the diode to get my engine to shut off, when I added the MSD ignition. The MSD switch wire draws very little current, and the alternator idiot light wire backfeeding to the ignition circuit kept the engine running after I turned off the key.

12. Puna Paul

Puna Paul
    from Hawaii

Ah, that makes sense. Good to know if I switch over from points...

13. sooooo....I read that it goes in the exciter wire. Cool, but does the diode get installed in that wire in front of or behind the 194 bulb?

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Twelve year old thread

15. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Either.. just need it to stop back feeding the supply

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just why is that important? One of the great benefits of this site is that you can search for the solutions to your problem.

17. I'd say soldering the diode to the wire is a better option if you want a more secure connection.

18. Crimp using Packard Electric product crimp and pliers. Double the heat shrink. First the short piece then a longer piece. Knock on wood never. Had one fail in 20:years.

54reno likes this.
  19. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

A 1 amp or less bulb passes enough current to excite the alternator but not enough to backfeed the coil. No diode needed.

20. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Yes and no. Depends on the rest of the wiring scheme. It is potentialy enough to keep a relay energised if the ignition circuit is powered through relays.

MCjim likes this.
  21. I've wired cars with diodes and others with a "alternator/generator/charge" light, or whatever you choose to call it; but never used both on the same job.

22. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

Kinda off topic but kinda not. I have a battery draw on my car that I can not find. Someone said it could be a bad diode in the alternator. Is that possible?

23. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>I have a battery draw on my car that I can not find.>>>

It's likely the alternator's voltage sensor if its wire is connected to an unswitched part of the circuit. Not unusual. Telltale sign is when you disconnect then reconnect the battery, you might get a little spark when nothing else is turn on. Typically draws less than 0.1amps. Not much. But may be an issue if the car sits for a few months.

Happydaze and Hellbentrodder like this.
  24. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Right, I ended up with both light and diode.

25. Vinman1

Vinman1
    from Cape Cod

The diode takes the place of light, since I did not want the bulb. Both are basically doing the same thing, which is to prevent the back feeding through the ignition. Without them the engine will stay running with the ignition turned off. May not be the case in all wiring schemes, but mine did.

bschwoeble likes this.
  26. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

> >Right, I ended up with both light and diode. > >

That's because the bulb should be connected directly to the relay's output terminal, not to its gate terminal to which the ignition switch is connected Still no diode needed

bschwoeble likes this.