Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dimmer Switch selection help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Triggerman, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Hey there. I am really in need of a unique dimmer switch. Due to the confines of the Model A I am working on the conventional design will not work. It seems like 99.9% of the dimmers out there have a mounting surface that is perpendicular to the shaft. We all know that works since most of them are mounted on the floor or a toe board. I need to mount one to the driver's kickpanel so the switch must have a mounting surface parallel to the shaft. I have searched Rock Auto and used many different applications but they are all the perpendicular style however, I could swear I have seen the parallel design somewhere. Can someone help me out with an application I can use to purchase the dimmer switch I need? For those that are confused, this is the design I DO NOT WANT. Thanks Hambers.

Joe

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/g...Airtex/1S4828.jpg&imagekey=942422-0&width=450

2. just use any SPDT switch...as in single pole double through

3. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I could be wrong but I believe actual dimmer switches are rated to handle relatively high amperage and most electrical switches cannot handle the amperage of the headlight circuit. I really, really do not want to add to the complexity of the wiring by adding a relay.

4. well , yes you do need a switch that can handle the amperage load..i should have said that. no need for any relay

one way i have wired lights to use no dimmer switch at all , just use normal universal headlight switch. hook the high beams directly to the terminal marked headlights , hook the low beams to the park terminal on the switch. your gauges and tail lights will light in both positions , the low /high will switch between the park and headlight position. my `28 tudor is wired that way

5. Looking thru the NAPA Echlin Buyers Guide, most all of them are like the picture you supplied. The only one listed/shown that has a thin enough bracket (that you may be able to manipulate/change) is Echlin part #DS108 used on Jeep products 47-66. Good luck.

6. F&J

F&J

I can't think of a switch like that...right this minute..but...

36-3w is correct in saying you "could" use a two position toggle switch to handle headlights.

Those switches are/were used for decades on snow plow trucks, but they were set up to switch from normal grille lights to the high mounted plow lights. Those used the stock dimmer, but I can't see why it would not work for dimming alone. Power in when headlight switch is pulled out, then flip the toggle for low or high the other way.

Those toggles must have a listing showing amps.

7. Dave 39

Dave 39

I have a light switch that I got from Enos Custom Components that has an extra position that controls the high beams. First position, parking lights; second, low beams; third, high beams. this could solve your problem. Dave

8. canman

canman

Put the switch on the ground side and just interrupt the ground for the low beams. They will go off,run that voltage through the dash indicator and it will go on. With the other pole ground the high beam filaments. Amperage is secure and any two pole two position switch could do it.

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pre '65 VW - heavy made, 3 male spades ... if you look hard, you can find one with a metal housing & polish it.

10. paintcan54

paintcan54

Here is a switch number that I use in my T bucket I got it at a Carquest I don't have a pic right now, but here is the number 53-16960 hope this helps

11. Just heard a story of a guy mounting a traditional floor mount switch under the dash and devising a mechanical lever to actuate it.

Mine has one behind the upholstered kick panel. You push the whole panel to actuate.

12. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I used a 4 position head light switch. Off-park-low-high.

13. Or make an L bracket and bolt the other type dimmer switch to it?

14. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Wow, I go to work and look what happens. A flood of ideas here.

36-3window, you have been generous with advice. Unfortunately 56NoBrakes owns the car and he is adamant about very few switches. I could not use another switch, to control the dim feature, in the dash.

40FORDPU, that is a good idea. The owners' son works at a NAPA. I'll hit him up to look in the Buyer's Guide. Thx

Dave 39 and Crusty Nut, those four way headlight switches may be the final solution if I don't find what I want. Thx guys.

302GMC- perhaps a veedub is where I saw the "flat" dimmer. I can't find a pic of one yet but I'll try the local store for a looksee.

paintcan54, Carquest's website did not process that part number.

NUROADSIR, maybe I can use a conventional dimmer and build a lever to actuate it. That is worth thinking about as well.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

Joe

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Me too, Speedway sell them.

16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

NUROADSIR, is on the right track.......................Make a paddle type switch, that nestles over close to the kick panel, perhaps with the conventional style dimmer mounted behind the dash, and the paddle to be knee actuated, without the need to lift your foot from the floorboard.

17. derpr

derpr

I saw the 4 position switch at speedway, I used a 3 way toggle switch under my dash.my headlights run on a 20 amp fuse. so I think the toggle switch can handle it.

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If your concerned about the toggle handling the current (amps), you can always use a headlight relay.

19. Just use the standard dimmer switch. Mount it to the cowl panel like you intend. In an A it is easy to hit with the side of your foot.

20. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

stealthcruiser, that is looking like the way I might have to go if I cannot find what I want.
    As derpr and others suggested, I might have to go with a hidden high amperage toggle switch.

21. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I was just told, by a friend ,that he is using a standard headlight switch and using the low beam on parking side and high beam on headlight side....

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Have you thought about mounting a normally made to mount on the floor type dimmer switch ..sideways?

that way it would poke out of your kick panel, and all you would have to do is blip it with the side of your shoe.

I have a really small dimmer switch, i plan on using in my A

wanna see a picture of it?

23. Just an aside about headlight wiring. Look at Daniel Stern Lighting and his diagrams to activate your high and low beam lights through relays mounted out near the lights. This method gives the amperage you need at the lights without high amps through the headlight switch and beam selector. I converted to this method 5 or 6 years ago along with halogen bulbs and reflectors on my '40 Chevy. The improvement was remarkable.

Just a thought.

Charlie

24. You are making this way to hard!

VRF, we tend to think the same, see above.:)

25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois