Register now to get rid of these ads!

Different strokes for different folks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by muroc 29, Jul 25, 2008.

1. muroc 29

muroc 29

I've always been facinated by the different types of people involved in our hobby We have the collector that has to have everything but doesnt ever have a functioning car to drive. We have the turn it for a buck guy. Then theres the case of a long time friend of our family that finished this bitchen roadster im about to post took him 15 years or more but now that it is finished he rarely drives it and has it up for sale already. I understand to each his own but just shows you there is a wide variety of characters I personally love that feeling of cruising getting the looks and compliments and a since of pride like look what my vision was and when someone gets it right like our buddy did he needs some recognition so Im here to show it off for him Larry Ghenos bad ass 29 and yes its on the selling block

Attached Files:

2. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Nice 29. What powers it?

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

PS - you forgot the type that build 'em to go 1/4 mile at a time.

3. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I think people like your friend are just the type that love the build but don't care about driving them and now that it is over it's just time to sell it and look for another project.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Not much nothing wrong with that!

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

looks like it's got a small block in it

6. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Yep, I just just noticed the exhaust manifold thru the cover vents.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

7. McFly

McFly

Sweet ride...how long does the Model T show go for today?

8. muroc 29

muroc 29

Your right Kev i forgot alot but you guys got the point i didnt mention the catalog builder. the lets call boyd and bend over guy and the lets build it and go a 1/4 mile. Who ever it is there all part of the hobby so guess you cant knock them And your right small block chevy early 60's i think 283 if im not mistaken early corvette valve covers and 3 carb set up dropped 37 tube axle 34 lincoln dash with police speed o and hallock windsheild is cast from bronze.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet little roadster that he built. I think for some guys the fun is in the building and planning and looking for that just right part and they loose interest as soon as the car is done.

I know a couple of those who qualify as the accumulators, guys who have shops and yards full of stuff and nothing to drive as far as a hotrod or custom goes. One of my buddies is more interested in accumulating than finishing. He is always buying a vehicle that he will never get to but doesn't ever seem to have the money to finish the one he is actually working on. I think he is actually making progress on the main project of the moment now though.

In the past 35 years of actively having a rod I think I have met and been around every type.
    The home builder who builds really nice cars and looses interest when they are done.

The builder/owner who builds such a nice car that he never drives it because he feels that it is too valuable to risk on the road but drives an suv that cost twice as much as the rod without as much as a worry in the world.

The guy who built his car 30 years ago, has never made a change to it except general maintenance and has put 100k + miles on it going everywhere.

One of my custom car buddies who wouldn't bring his world class car out of the garage because it might be "over exposed" at rod trots. Meaning have been seen too many times. One of the more famous really nice customs of all time by the way.

The family with some nice rods that won't take them to rod trots because they don't win a trophy every time out. They also post guards around the cars at shows because they are paranoid that someone might touch one of the cars. All three cars are somewhat out of step with either traditional or modern rods because of wrong wheel, tire and interior choices. A trip to the wheel/tire store and a decent upholstery shop would have one of the cars in the winners circle at any Hamb friendly event though.

The guy who has driven his old Dodge pickup with the old signs on the doors and faded paint to the Vintiques Nationals in Yakima, Wa so long that the truck is actually in style now with the original patina and signs on the doors. He was just 30 years ahead of what's happening now.

The collector who has put together a batch of nice rods, customs and super cars over a period of 30 years or so by buying other guys finished cars or almost finished cars.

The flipper, who tends to buy someone's almost finished project, finish it and put it up for sale. I haven't seen him in a few years but he always had a fresh car for sale at ever rod trot he showed up at.

10. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Yeah, there's all types. My buddy spent a couple of years building a '53 cabover. He finished it, took it to a coupla shows and sold it. Turns out he's not really a car guy at all. He goes to shows and sits by his ride, whatever he just built, and never looks at anything else. I stopped over to show him my Caddy and he walked right by to show me his 55 T'bird project. I guess he just likes to build stuff!!!!